PDA

View Full Version : PNY 6800GT issue

Shadwhawk
07-31-04, 04:00 PM
Yesterday I bought a PNY 6800GT at Fry's (one of the last two on the shelves). Installed with without a hassle, and updated the drivers to 61.77. 3dMark2003 gave a score of 10876, untweaked, unoverclocked, with a variety of crap running in the background (Athlon64 3200+, Asus K8V SE Deluxe, 1GB DDR, WinXPSP1). City of Heroes runs twice as fast with maximum settings as my GF2GTS ran with low settings. The Dawn, Dusk, and Nalu demos run flawlessly (well, except for the niggling little fact that if I put AA at 2x, 2xQ, or 4x, the demos all don't display and I have to end task. Work fine Off and at 8xS, though! I'm assuming this is a driver problem, since I swear they worked normally with the 61.34 drivers on the CD).
Anyways, my real problem is the Timbury demo. It runs like ass. I'm talking between zero and 5fps, no matter what my AA/AS settings. It did this with the stock drivers and the downloaded ones. Yeah, it's just a tech demo, but I fear whatever problem it's having may be a problem with some games.

Any ideas?

Superfly
07-31-04, 04:04 PM
im downloading the timbury demo now - ill check it out in about 36mins.

watch this space.........

Slybri
07-31-04, 04:08 PM
I've got the same card. Timbury runs fine. As do Nalu and Dusk.
Dawn will not run at all. It just CTD's

tried reinstalling...nuthin...

monly
07-31-04, 04:24 PM
AGP aperture 256

Banko
07-31-04, 04:47 PM
You need at least 1gig of mem for timbury, it runs like ass on my comp as well.

Superfly
07-31-04, 04:53 PM
AGP aperture 256

No if you have a 256mb card and only 512mb ram please use 128mb aperture.

Quote:

AGP Aperture Size

Common Options : 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256

Quick Review

This BIOS feature does two things. It selects the size of the AGP aperture and it determines the size of the GART (Graphics Address Relocation Table).

The aperture is a portion of the PCI memory address range that is dedicated for use as AGP memory address space while the GART is a translation table that translates AGP memory addresses into actual memory addresses which are often fragmented. The GART allows the graphics card to see the memory region available to it as a contiguous piece of memory range.

Host cycles that hit the aperture range are forwarded to the AGP bus without need for translation. The aperture size also determines the maximum amount of system memory that can be allocated to the AGP graphics card for texture storage.

Please note that the AGP aperture is merely address space, not actual physical memory in use. Although it is very common to hear people recommending that the AGP aperture size should be half the size of system memory, that is wrong!

The requirement for AGP memory space shrinks as the graphics card's local memory increases in size. This is because the graphics card will have more local memory to dedicate to texture storage. So, if you upgrade to a graphics card with more memory, you shouldn't be "deceived" into thinking that you will need even more AGP memory! On the contrary, a smaller AGP memory space will be required.

It is recommended that you keep the AGP aperture around 64MB to 128MB in size, even if your graphics card has a lot of onboard memory. This allows flexibility in the event that you actually need extra memory for texture storage. It will also keep the GART (Graphics Address Relocation Table) within a reasonable size.

Link: http://www.rojakpot.com/default.aspx?location=1

Superfly
07-31-04, 04:55 PM
forgot to say - timbury ran fine for me.

no problems....

monly
07-31-04, 05:09 PM
i only said set it to 256, because before mine was at 32, and somone suggested i put it to 256 to make it smooth....and it worked

Superfly
07-31-04, 05:14 PM
256 is fine for 1GB ram,

I can see that 32 would have caused problems on your system!!, 128mb is still the best all rounder though as 256 is pointless these days on systems with lots of mem.

pingu
08-01-04, 07:39 AM
have been using 64 here all fine

i noticed one thing though

the nvidia demos did not work for me with the older drivers, went upto 62.20 and they worked flawlesly

all the usual on, 4x aa 8 x aa, on quality settings and trilinear opts.

give the 62.20 a try.

with the 61.76 the demos would start music initially then just crash to dekktop.

now they are working fine,

honestjohn
08-01-04, 04:17 PM
You need at least 1gig of mem for timbury, it runs like ass on my comp as well.

I have 768 MB DDR PC2100. Have setting cranked up to the Max on my GT and Tinbury runs fine.

Tobyus
08-09-04, 05:09 PM
Well, I must be the odd man out. I just built a new Athlon 64 3000+ system on an MSI K8T Neo board with 1GB OCZ PC3200 ram and an eVGA 6800GT and for some reason my performance on Dusk Ultra and Dawn (regular) is terrible. Probably in the same 0-5 fps range that Shadwhawk was experiencing on Timbury. I am running 61.77 drivers, DX9.0b, Windows XP Pro Sp1 and I left the demo's at their default settings (1024x768 resolution I think). I turned off AA and AF after having this bad performance, and it still ran terrible. Nalu runs better, but still not as well as I was hoping for (maybe 15-20 fps). Anyone have any ideas what my problem might be?

Lezmaka
08-09-04, 05:25 PM
Well, I must be the odd man out. I just built a new Athlon 64 3000+ system on an MSI K8T Neo board with 1GB OCZ PC3200 ram and an eVGA 6800GT and for some reason my performance on Dusk Ultra and Dawn (regular) is terrible. Probably in the same 0-5 fps range that Shadwhawk was experiencing on Timbury. I am running 61.77 drivers, DX9.0b, Windows XP Pro Sp1 and I left the demo's at their default settings (1024x768 resolution I think). I turned off AA and AF after having this bad performance, and it still ran terrible. Nalu runs better, but still not as well as I was hoping for (maybe 15-20 fps). Anyone have any ideas what my problem might be?

You wouldn't happen to be running dual monitors would you?

Tobyus
08-09-04, 07:58 PM
You wouldn't happen to be running dual monitors would you?

Nope, just one big one. I also forgot to mention that Doom 3 and FarCry run flawlessly at 1600x1200 (FarCry with maxed settings except AA and AF, and Doom 3 at High settings).

rettberg
08-10-04, 11:31 PM
What's the issue with dual monitors? I have dual monitors and haven't been able to get the demo running. Thx.

Carbon Unit
08-11-04, 02:31 AM
no issues here

Redemption77
08-11-04, 08:06 AM
This is all I have to say about my PNY GT.........

peter_storm
08-11-04, 08:47 AM
It's crazy that people are posting about how the nVidia demos don't run with AA on. READ THE README!!! It says in the nVidia demo readme that the program has anti-aliasing already enabled in the program, so by forcing AA in the desktop you are getting poor performance or crashes. You have to read the readme's before posting crazy threads like this.

esky19
08-11-04, 03:12 PM
Anyways, my real problem is the Timbury demo. It runs like ass. I'm talking between zero and 5fps, no matter what my AA/AS settings. It did this with the stock drivers and the downloaded ones. Yeah, it's just a tech demo, but I fear whatever problem it's having may be a problem with some games.
Any ideas?

I don't have this problem with the new Nvidia Demos, but I've run into this exact same thing with the wolfman demo from the FX5200...or so nvidia.com says that's what its for.

I have the BFG 6800 Ultra OC...and the wolfman demo runs like "ass"
With 1 fps almost constantly...I've tried different sets of drivers but none fix the problem. I guess I shouldn't really care all that much, its an old demo, and I know it's not the video card...but still....why?