PDA

View Full Version : we've seen much footage, which has the best tech/looks the best?

Pages : [1] 2

Intel17
07-31-04, 06:03 PM
Doom 3 or FarCry?

Mr. Hunt
07-31-04, 06:05 PM
Far Cry has great colors but I think Doom 3 as far as graphics.

jAkUp
07-31-04, 06:09 PM
hmmm.. I still vote doom3 :)

ATi
07-31-04, 06:12 PM
hmmm.. I still vote doom3 :)
I think Doom3 looks Better :firedevil
________
Harley-Davidson FHAC (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Harley-Davidson_FHAC)

Seoulstriker
07-31-04, 06:13 PM
Sure, Farcry has some pretty island scenes, but it greatly pales in comparison to the Doom3 technology and graphics.

Intel17
07-31-04, 06:22 PM
Could someone make a comparison chart between FC and D3's tech?

And to the many of you who played the game, how does it compare toFC?

WeReWoLf
07-31-04, 07:56 PM
Doom 3

Razor1
07-31-04, 08:01 PM

Technology wise the Far Cry engine is more advanced then Doom 3. Specially when the renderer is concerned. The Cry Engine has everything the Doom 3 engine has and can do beautiful outdoors, too bad Crytek's artists aren't as good as Id's.

CaptNKILL
08-01-04, 01:49 AM
I must be the only person on the planet that doesnt like FarCry's graphics...

They look so fake to me. Oooo shiney water... yippee. I played the demo at reasonably high settings and maybe once there was a scene that tricked my eyes (you know that feeling "woa, that looks real!"). Most of the time, it just looks flashy, not real.

I used to think the same of Doom 3 (early screens) but now that all the goodies are all over the web, ive seen many MANY still images that trick my eyes, i can only imagine how amazing it looks in game.

Far Cry just doesnt do it for me, i think its just too colorful... even for "paradise".

Skrot
08-01-04, 02:27 AM
You're not alone there CaptNKILL. FarCry doesn't impress me a hell of a lot. I like the appearance of PainKiller far more, even if it doesn't have as much (as you say) flashy stuff.

To me, Doom3 and Far Cry are on different levels.

marqmajere
08-01-04, 02:45 AM
Far Cry looks great at high+ graphical settings. Any lower than that and they take away shaded floors, walls, etc. I vote Doom3 overall, but Far Cry is no sloutch. :)

Hellion
08-01-04, 03:21 AM
I must be the only person on the planet that doesnt like FarCry's graphics...

They look so fake to me. Oooo shiney water... yippee. I played the demo at reasonably high settings and maybe once there was a scene that tricked my eyes (you know that feeling "woa, that looks real!"). Most of the time, it just looks flashy, not real.

I used to think the same of Doom 3 (early screens) but now that all the goodies are all over the web, ive seen many MANY still images that trick my eyes, i can only imagine how amazing it looks in game.

Far Cry just doesnt do it for me, i think its just too colorful... even for "paradise".

For one...the demo doesnt do justice for farcry. As for DOOM 3....It is WAY better by far...for F$$$s sake! Even at the lowest settings it looks damn good :P ive seen and studied everything i can about doom3, read benchies, seen pics of all setting combonations, every promo vid. i have to say...doom 3 is way better, and i beat far cry 2WICE! On highest possible settings....*(trying to patheticly pass time till ]}OOM ][][][ :P :nanahump: :drooling:

Edge
08-01-04, 03:31 AM
Highest possible settings? They won't be the "highest" anymore when the Displacement Mapping patch is released ;)

Nv40
08-01-04, 04:51 AM

Doom3 game is .

1) a perpixel lighting engine /with stencil shadows use for indoors/outdoors ..but also can use project textures to emulate nice looking softshadows or other effects.

2)perpolygon physics engine.. dont know what Farcry have, but its very nice its physics engine too.

3)support Speculars/normalmapping and difusse mapping for every surface.

Farcry game can do all of the above ,plus more ,since developers are adding content to their game.. SM3.0 + HDR. and use PS2.0 albeit in few shaders. however a BIG advantage of Doom3 is that 100% of the time use realtime ligthing/shadowing/specular/normals mapping everywhere-always!!! and in realtime. the disadvantage is that Doom3 lighting cost too much performance wise for huge levels ,like outdoors and with many players. so thats why only 4 players in MP in reatail game and also explain why there is not many outdoors in doom3.

FArcry in the other hand use lightmaps for outdoors (for performance reasons),which are FAR cheapier ,and faster but doesnt look as cinematic as using realtime lighting always like Doom3. for indoors Farcry use realtime lighting ,just like Doom3 ,but still not as heavily used . so in summary Farcry have better technology ,but Doom3 is much more agreesive with the technology they use and it looks they have more skilled artists for indoors for their players and monters. haven not see Doom3 outdoors ,but farcry outdoors are stunning ,and just using ps1.1.

games is one thing ,engines is another ,Doom3 engine can use Dx9 same funtionality under OpenGl and Carmack told his next game will be based around the 6800 capabilities. technology means nothing if the developers doesnt know how to push it to its limits or have the skills to work with it ,to a new level. so dont focuse too much in tecnology in games ,because the Developers/artist skills are far more important than the tools they use. look at the quality that D3 engine can get .

http://doom3.fragshack.com/media/doomguy.jpg

ARtists makes the biggest diferences ,and idsoftware have many talented guys there in every area ,from art to programming. :). stalker game is very similar to farcry mix of technology and on paper they have the more advanced engine of all times of incomming games (next to Unreal3 :) ). but Farcry still have better graphics in my eyes in practice.

multiplayer is Idsoftware domain ,since they invented it . so is a no contest there (i think :) ) ,once mods allows 8-16 players ,Doom3 will be a new game.. not anymore resident evil ,but a QUake game.

theultimo
08-01-04, 05:02 AM
Doom3 is great for closeup detail, while FarCry has excellent scenery detail.

Intel17
08-01-04, 10:54 AM
I cant believe FC technologically beats Doom3 :( :(

-=DVS=-
08-01-04, 02:38 PM
FarCry vs Doom3 is like Apples to Oranges ;) , if you compare Indors of Farcry to doom3 FarCry looks just as good , not as many moveing shadows but higher res textures and lotsa shaders stuff.

Wonder how Stalker and HalfLife 2 will mix into it :p Stalker should have moust realistic outdoor scenes HL2 perhapse moust realistic Physics :D

Hellion
08-01-04, 05:28 PM
Doom3 is great for closeup detail, while FarCry has excellent scenery detail.
there we go. an exellent quote for the subject.

Nv40
08-02-04, 12:37 AM
I cant believe FC technologically beats Doom3 :( :(

that is questionable from a graphics point of view.* REalTime lighting at all times is the future* there is no question about this ,because this is the way the light behaves in the real world. its always generated in realtime never static.and Doom3 is already there.. Unreal3 too ..FC in the other side most of the time use old school pre-recorded lightmaps (a hack) to simulate their "lighting" in their outdoors. thats why it looks the only place you will see real time lighting in FC is only in indoors ,tubes but not in the weapons ,not in the characters or monters which looks pathetic ,and not in some other places.Doom3 use it everywhere 100% of the time and in everything .thats why its Lighting its Unified. its the same for all. so under Microsoft terms Farcry is more advanced ,under computer graphics realism Doom3 is more advanced. heck the latest TOmraider and Halo are also more advanced in "technology use" than doom3 ,but look at its graphics. they looks like cartoons.

so to answer the question which game is more "advanced" in tecnology than doom3 ,any game with dx9 it is. because Microsoft specs says it. but Doom3 is the closest game ever when it comes to Movies . farcry will look like a new game a movie if all their Lighting were unified just like Doom3. when it comes to Engines both D3 and FC should be able to get the same level of graphics ,but the elegance of Doom3 unified lighting engine is something hard to beat ,makes more easier the design of games with cinematic quality.

Timothyb
08-02-04, 05:43 AM
I wonder how long it will take for games to have ambient lighting, where light bounces off objects, and varies with surface type. Like how you turn on a single light in a room in real life you don't get harsh shadows because they are filled in with ambient light. light bouncing off walls and such.

zyklon69
08-02-04, 06:17 AM
Farcry looks better when it comes to textures, doom 3 has blurry textures because there is no way any video card would be able to handle the shadow/lighting effects if there weren't. Overall doom 3 is just better.

Intel17
08-02-04, 09:21 AM
Nv40,
Did you notice, every dynamic light in FarCry, is just a moving lightmap?

I think FarCry fakes even its "real time" lighting through lightmaps.

Also, OpenGL can use any feature DX9 has...

SH64
08-02-04, 09:30 AM
Well after playing Doom3 a couple of minutes .. i can say that each game has its own advantages .
in the shadows & dynamic lights & the usage of normal & bump mapping D3 definitly shines there , however FarCry still have its own looks for the water quality & the large draw distance .

to put it simply ? FarCry for outdoors , Doom3 for indoors :)

Intel17
08-02-04, 09:35 AM
SH64,
So doom3 does look better indoors, right? is there any shader use, specularity etc.. in Doom3?

If so, I dont mind agreeing and saying Doom3 looks the best indoors, and FarCry looks the best outdoors :)

SH64
08-02-04, 09:41 AM
SH64,
So doom3 does look better indoors, right? is there any shader use, specularity etc.. in Doom3?

If so, I dont mind agreeing and saying Doom3 looks the best indoors, and FarCry looks the best outdoors :)

I didnt notice any shaders use so far , but speculars are used throughout the game .. i just finished the first level so i havent seen much yet .

the heat haze is one things that looks just amazing feature .. looks on par with FC's .

yup i would say that D3 is the best for indoors , FC for outdoors .
i cant say the Doom3 beats FarCry in the graphics now . i cay say that both looks equal .

i'm using the 5950 rig btw.