PDA

View Full Version : Windows reset to 640x480x16 colours with 6800U and 6800GT :/

Kombatant
07-31-04, 06:48 PM
Ok people, I need your help in this one... I experience the same thing with both cards (6800Ultra and 6800GT). You can see my specs in my sig. I have tried 61.76 and 61.77 drivers, plus nForce 4.24 and 4.27, to no avail.

As of two hours ago, I simply cannot get these cards to boot into Windows normally; they boot into 640x480x16 colours. I can't for the life of me figure out why. Note that the 9800XT and the X800 Pro I have right here do NOT exhibit the problem, just the nVidia cards. I tried to do a System Restore to a previous snapshot, no luck. I also checked the Device manager to see whether there is a hardware conflict, everything OK there as well.

Any ideas?

ChrisRay
07-31-04, 07:02 PM
That is a wierd problem. Are you setting the resolution with the Nvidia Control Panel? Or the Windows Control Panel?

Kombatant
07-31-04, 07:04 PM
When I go to change the res (display properties), the colours are stuck at 4-bit, and the slider has 640x480 and 800x600 (I cannot select 800x600 tho). And yes, this is definitely one of the weirdest problems I have ever seen... as I said, the Radeons work beautifully.. i mean wtf...

Pandora's Box
07-31-04, 07:10 PM
try the other monitor connector on the card

ChrisRay
07-31-04, 07:13 PM
When I go to change the res (display properties), the colours are stuck at 4-bit, and the slider has 640x480 and 800x600 (I cannot select 800x600 tho). And yes, this is definitely one of the weirdest problems I have ever seen... as I said, the Radeons work beautifully.. i mean wtf...

I would suggest doing a det destroy, Then a complete reinstall, I'm surprised Windows XP even allows for you to bootup @ 640x480.

Then when changing resolutions. Go into the Nvidia control Panel. And set resolution within the control panel itself (where you set custom resolution) Not the control panel windows uses.

MikeC
07-31-04, 07:15 PM
I had that once too but it was years ago. Give me a few I'm thinking.

Kombatant
07-31-04, 07:17 PM
It's not the monitor connector, I've tried. And since I get at 640x480, the nVidia control panel doesn't load for some reason...

ChrisRay
07-31-04, 07:19 PM
You mean the Nvidia control panel isnt installing period?

Son Goku
07-31-04, 07:25 PM
See, here's the thing. If you can't increase the res or color depth, it sounds very much like your stuck on default VGA drivers. About the only time I've tended to see this is when I install a new card that the OS doesn't recognize, prior to loading the cards drivers. But I'm gathering you would already know about that...

For kicks and giggles you might want to check Device Manager and see what it lists for drivers. These might not have loaded for some reason?

A detonator destroy might help, and are the Catylist drivers cleaned out of there (not just uninstalled)? When I've switched companies in the past (mostly between 3dfx going to nVidia in the past) the drivers weren't completely out of there, some odd things happened for which a clean install was my only answer. I don't remember when I got my Radeon 9600 if I ran into some odd probs or not however...

Kombatant
07-31-04, 07:29 PM
The funny thing is that a) The drivers are installed (i can see it from the device manager) because if I was with the default vga drivers, I wouldn't have 4-bit colour b) the control panel is nowhere to be seen. I have been running the 6800Ultra for 4 days now without problems (well except this particular one, which happened again three days ago, but after four consequtive(sp?) reboots it went away on itself) so I am sure the CP was installed. I shall wait a bit in case MikeC comes up with anything and if not, I will reinstall the 6800 and it's more troubleshooting time I guess...

ChrisRay
07-31-04, 07:29 PM
You also might try manually installing the drivers from the device manager,

CaptNKILL
07-31-04, 07:37 PM
Thats really odd, Windows XP always has support for at least 800x600x32 with the default VGA driver, even in safe mode.

I had a similar problem to this going from a 9600 Pro to a Geforce (any kind). I had to reinstall windows. One thing NOT TO DO. If you end up with the Standard VGA driver being used, Do NOT delete or touch its settings (in device manager or the advanced tab in display properties), thats how i lost all visuals in XP. So be carefull.

My advice, just reinstall windows after backing up what you need to back up.

BTW, with my 9600 Pro, i did EVERYTHING POSSIBLE to get rid of ALL ATI and NVidia drivers\registry entries and nothing fixed it (uninstall, driver cleaner, manual deletion, everything). I HAD to reinstall windows. Period.

AthlonXP1800
07-31-04, 07:47 PM
Yeah I had that problem once with 5900 Ultra last year. After installed the driver and restarted, you get 640x480 16 colours desktop, that mean the driver is not installed properly. It was caused by anti-virus software prevented the driver files to installed, it happend to me when I disabled anti-virus and installed the driver and then I noticed in the middle of driver installation, anti-virus was enabled itself and prevented driver files installed after the middle of installation.

Keep on eye on your anti-virus software to make sure it still disabled when you install the driver until to the end and it will be fine, if anti-virus enabled itself in the middle of driver installation, then you need to disabled anti-virus and reinstall the driver again and it will fix it. :)

MikeC
07-31-04, 08:04 PM
You also might try manually installing the drivers from the device manager,

NVIDIA recommends that drivers be installed via device manager. But how does one extract the files from the driver executable to get the .inf file that device manager needs?

The only way I know how is to run the executable and then cancel the install right after the extract file location is provided. The default location is under the C:\NVIDIA\Win2KXP\61.XX directory. That's the directory that step 13 in the readme.txt file needs to have.

13. Enter the path to the NVIDIA drivers in the "Copy manufacturer's files from:" dialog. Select OK.

ChrisRay
07-31-04, 08:06 PM
NVIDIA recommends that drivers be installed via device manager. But how does one extract the files from the driver executable to get the .inf file that device manager needs?

The only way I know how is to run the executable and then cancel the install right after the extract file location is provided. The default location is under the C:\NVIDIA directory. Step 13 in the readme.txt file:

13. Enter the path to the NVIDIA drivers in the "Copy manufacturer's files from:" dialog. Select OK.

Ya thats what I do myself.`

Kombatant
07-31-04, 08:25 PM
Still nothing guys :/ I have tried everything you suggested, but no avail. I am certain that, although the driver seems loaded, it is not; as you Ultra owners know, when the GUI loads, the Ultra's fan spins down and that doesn't happen here. I have also tried some obvious stuff (Fastwrites etc) but still nothing...

walkndude
07-31-04, 08:28 PM
I had the exact same problem and needed to install the drivers from the device manager while in safemode... didn't matter that I was logged in with administrator rights with the previous attempts, drivers would seem to load fine -reboot and 640*480*16 with no contol panel as well.

weird.

3madcows
08-01-04, 02:33 AM
When you go to display properties to set the resolution, make sure it shows your monitor's brand and model number correctly. It may just say standard VGA monitor. In that case reinstall monitor drivers. If it is in fact correct, try uninstalling the monitor from device manager and reinstalling it.

Lezmaka
08-01-04, 02:58 AM
But how does one extract the files from the driver executable to get the .inf file that device manager needs?

WinZip works just fine for me.

You can either start WinZip and open the .exe, or if you have the explorer context menu enhancements enabled, right-click and choose Open with Winzip.

Lezmaka
08-01-04, 03:09 AM
Come to think of it, I was having the exact same problem a couple months ago, but with a Ti4200. Some times it'd boot up normally, and sometimes I'd get 640x480x16 in clone mode instead of the usual dualview mode I use. At least for me, device manager usually said something like "Device cannot start". It turned out that the fan on the card was dieing, it started making some grinding noises after a bit. I ended up sending it to BFG for RMA, they sent back a 5900XT and that worked fine. Now I have a 6800GT and that works great too. When it first started happening, I thought it could be the power supply, but considering the 5900XT and especially the 6800GT need much more power than a Ti4200, that kind of throws that idea out the window.

Kombatant
08-01-04, 04:29 AM
Wanna hear something funny? I was fiddling with options till 4.30am, and I got frustrated, so I switched the PC off and went to bed. I switched it on today, and it works :screwy: :eek2:

Don't you love hardware...

My first guess is that something in the mobo overheated; that still doesn't explain the fact why both my Radeons work flawlessly... maybe my mobo is allergic to nVidia cards or something :p