PDA

View Full Version : Windows 64 Bit users...Applications, modifications..etc?

intercede007
07-31-04, 08:30 PM
Anybody else running Windows 64?

I have been hunting ALL over the web for a listing of applications that are working well with the WOW64 layer, which ones aren't, and what is giving us headaches.

EPoX 8KDA3+
A64 3000+
ATi 9600XT
SB Audigy I

So far I haven't encountered any driver problems. The alpha Audigy drives haven't given me a problem yet. I haven't installed the ATi alpha drivers, the Microsoft supplied ones seem to be holding up OK. When I start trying gaming on the OS I'll give them a go.

The nForce drivers have been fantastic!! I've left the machine under 100% load for the last 5 days and haven't seen a single problem. No blue screens, no lock-ups, no nothing. The NIC card seems to be doing well also. I haven't tried any USB devices yet.

Internet Explorer 32 bit hasn't hung yet. I haven't installed Java, we'll see how that goes.

No version of Norton AntiVirus I own has worked. Has to do with loading of 64 bit DLL's.

No version of Nero I have works or will work. Same as above.

mIRC hangs at interesting times. It seems to be isolated when a new menu is rendered, so I think that might be cleared up with the ATi driver set.

Trillian works OK. Hung once on closing, but I haven't had any other problems.

WinAmp works great. Only problem is with CD-Ripping. Again, because of WOW64 it simply will not work.

WMP 9 come standard. I haven't installed any other codecs then the ones that come with it, so we'll see.

Folding@Home has yet to hang. I couldn't comment on any speed benefits (F@H staff has said it's negligable to non-existant...), but it's definatly not slower.

Any other applications you are running? Hows the stability? Setup? Driver issues? Etc.?

UDawg
08-01-04, 04:45 PM
Well you keep giving us a update on this. I will buy it once you work the bugs out for me. :D

Sazar
08-01-04, 04:57 PM
wrt irc.. have you tried different clients ? see if perhaps that might help or are you using MIRC stock?

intercede007
08-03-04, 07:04 PM
wrt irc.. have you tried different clients ? see if perhaps that might help or are you using MIRC stock?

If you asked me to name another IRC client, I'd name Pirch, and it's been dead for years :)

mIRC is all I've tried. I've been using it since 1996, and I've only ever tried Pirch because I found it before I found mIRC. In other words, I've never found a need to try something else before now.

The hangups have stopped. I think it was the drivers, and the ATi drivers seem to be doing the best job.

And yeah, I'm not using any scirpts or add-ons with my Win64 mIRC install.

On a side note, I can't wait to get a hold of a copy of Doom 3 and see how it does with Win64. Should be interesting :)

intercede007
08-08-04, 11:22 PM
Well...so much for the benching Doom3 in Windows 64 idea.

It appears id for whatever reason would prefer that I not install it. Ohh well...