PDA

View Full Version : How to create custom Doom III timedemos?

Mr.Tweak
08-02-04, 12:01 PM
Hey guys,

I'm not sure if this has been covered or not yet but I'm wondering if anyone knows how to create custom Doom III timedemos yet? (not FRAPS)

If anyone knows the commands, please let me know.

:)

Clay
08-02-04, 12:08 PM
there is a console command: benchmark

I've not used it yet but I would assume that this is a "canned" benchmark

The following console commnds look more promising:

recordCmdDemo
recordDemo
stopRecording
timeDemo
script
path

Again, I've not tried any of these yet but I think we have a winner in there somewhere or a combination of a few. ;)

Mr.Tweak
08-02-04, 12:11 PM
Again, I've not tried any of these yet but I think we have a winner in there somewhere or a combination of a few. ;)

Cheers mate, I will report back shortly! :clap:

Clay
08-02-04, 12:15 PM
Cheers mate, I will report back shortly! :clap:
NP, good luck and thanks for reporting back...will keep an eye on this thread. :)

The other console commands can be found here (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=33627).

Mr.Tweak
08-02-04, 12:19 PM
"recordDemo" starts the recording and "stopRecording" stops it as suggested - works just fine

Clay
08-02-04, 12:24 PM
Excellent, thanks for the feedback Mr.Tweak. :thumbsup:

Mr.Tweak
08-02-04, 12:34 PM
I'm confused (it doesn't take too much, heh)

I've been hearing stories that Doom 3 is capped at 60 FPS and this is evident throughout HardOCP's benchmarks with the highest-end systems. However, in the benchmarks that ID provide we see FPS over 70 in some cases.

Am I behind the times or is there something ID isn't telling us? I think we should be told how to disable the FPS cap!

:angel:

blueworm
08-02-04, 12:35 PM
"recordDemo" starts the recording and "stopRecording" stops it as suggested - works just fine
Eh is'nt that basically the same as quake3?
/record
/stoprecord

Clay
08-02-04, 12:38 PM
Eh is'nt that basically the same as quake3?
/record
/stoprecord
yes

Mr.Tweak
08-02-04, 02:39 PM
Does anyone have any ideas how to remove the 60 FPS cap???

:retard: :retard: :retard:

Clay
08-02-04, 02:45 PM
Does anyone have any ideas how to remove the 60 FPS cap???

:retard: :retard: :retard:
I've read that it's not so much an FPS cap as it is a Hz cap. There's a thread (or series of posts) on this topic here in the forums but I don't recall exactly where. If you search you should be able to find it...this was discussed within the past two weeks.

OWA
08-02-04, 02:54 PM
I think the hardocp article mentioned the earlier benchmarks were done in the "flyby" / benchmark mode which doesn't limit the fps whereas normal gameplay is capped.

Edit: Actually, I think I read that in one of the Q&A sessions after the benchmarks were released since a lot of people wondered how they obtained framerates over 60 in the initial benchmarks.

npras42
08-02-04, 03:11 PM
Yes, it says in the HardOCP article that it has been uncapped.