PDA

View Full Version : I'm in a difficult situation.. 6800U and freezing problems

JimPage
08-02-04, 02:28 PM
I'm in a bit of a difficult situation.. my 6800 Ultra was having those freezing problems (the exact same ones) everyone has been reporting on here, so I sent it back to my manufacturer, PNY.

So I wait two and a half weeks, no response, no info.. On top of this, Doom 3 is coming out within days.

I call them up, basically ask, "Hey, what's going on with my video card?" ..They tell me they have found no problems with my video card, and that they're going to send me a new one anyway.

Only one problem. They're out of stock, and they -don't know- when they're going to be in stock again (most likely because everyone's upgrading for doom 3).. which means I'm stuck with a horrible video card for who knows how long.. Could be days, but if they don't know, then that's usually a sign that it'll be much longer than that.

They had originally told me that they would send me back my old video card if they didn't discover any problems with it.. Which they didn't, as I mentioned.

Seeing as I am in this dilemma, I have nearly gone insane from the lack of gaming.

The new card, which from what it seems, will almost most definitly give me the same problems as before. There is a chance that it might have been the video card, but after reading the number of posts here and on the eVGA forums, and the fact that they could not discover any problems in their testing of the one I sent in, this appears not to be the case.

Help me, I'm going insane. Is there a psychiatrist on the board? I need pills!!!

*cough* Lack of gaming... lack of the ability to play Doom 3... taking it's toll on an innocent.. admittedly obsessed gamer!

Point of the story -- make absolutely sure you've looked all over the internet for this before sending your card in! And don't, I repeat don't send your video card in before the release of Doom 3. This whole RMA ordeal has driven me to near insanity. It's not really PNY's fault. (edited)

Jim

jeffz
08-02-04, 03:35 PM
sorry, but you need really a psychiatrist... :lol2:

do you not think that problem over your card can be you???

ehmm.. 6800u hate the crazy man :angel2:

i simply joke man..

i also have PNY 6800u and after 2 week i have solved all my freeze problem and now i play all my games a max resolution and filters whitout any single problem.

hope be some for you. :)

cya.

Fynx-Gloire
08-02-04, 03:36 PM
I'm in a bit of a difficult situation.. my 6800 Ultra was having those freezing problems (the exact same ones) everyone has been reporting on here, so I sent it back to my manufacturer, PNY.

So I wait two and a half weeks, no response, no info.. On top of this, Doom 3 is coming out within days.

I call them up, basically ask, "Hey, what's going on with my video card?" ..They tell me they have found no problems with my video card, and that they're going to send me a new one anyway.

Only one problem. They're out of stock, and they -don't know- when they're going to be in stock again (most likely because everyone's upgrading for doom 3).. which means I'm stuck with a horrible video card for who knows how long.. Could be days, but if they don't know, then that's usually a sign that it'll be much longer than that.

They had originally told me that they would send me back my old video card if they didn't discover any problems with it.. Which they didn't, as I mentioned.

Seeing as I am in this dilemma, I have nearly gone insane from the lack of gaming.

The new card, which from what it seems, will almost most definitly give me the same problems as before. There is a chance that it might have been the video card, but after reading the number of posts here and on the eVGA forums, and the fact that they could not discover any problems in their testing of the one I sent in, this appears not to be the case.

Help me, I'm going insane. Is there a psychiatrist on the board? I need pills!!!

*cough* Lack of gaming... lack of the ability to play Doom 3... taking it's toll on an innocent.. admittedly obsessed gamer!

Point of the story, please don't shop at PNY, people. This whole RMA ordeal has driven me to near insanity.

Jim

Hey man, I had the same problem, and I COMPLETELY reformatted my hard drive and started from scratch.n ( Having ATI drivers and a card before.)
I overclocked to 300/1100 for BOTH 2D and 3D, you HAVE to do this, its a PNY problem and when its done, everything works fine for me.
ALso do not use Digital Vibrance.

Sean

jeffz
08-02-04, 03:46 PM
Hey man, I had the same problem, and I COMPLETELY reformatted my hard drive and started from scratch.n ( Having ATI drivers and a card before.)
I overclocked to 300/1100 for BOTH 2D and 3D, you HAVE to do this, its a PNY problem and when its done, everything works fine for me.

Sean

300/1100 ?? for 6800u? :retard:

i don't understand, but your card is "underclocked" at this frequency.

really turn off digital vibrance can help freeze problem??

i don't know this, so thx for the imput.

JimPage
08-02-04, 05:05 PM
i also have PNY 6800u and after 2 week i have solved all my freeze problem and now i play all my games a max resolution and filters whitout any single problem.

Dah! You see, this is what I'm talking about! This is why I should never have sent in my card.. I feel so stupid. Yet, it's not really my fault. Now I'm paying for a mistake someone else made.. Well, they obviously weren't able to spot it that easily, but I still wish that they would have spotted this. It's not really PNY's fault.. It's nvidia's fault.

I actually called them back and asked them if they could give me my old card back because of all the people who have been fixing their problems.. (More proof that I need a psychiatric examination, I know.. GIVE ME PILLS!) ..Unfortunatly, they already 'sent it off to nvidia for further testing'. Which is good, because hopefully they'll be able to find the problem and release some official fix for it.

Oh well, life throws you curve balls occasionally. Hopefully they'll be getting a new shipment within the next week or two..

One can only hope that, at least.

..Right? :(

betterdan
08-02-04, 05:53 PM

Sean

Ok I haven't seen this fix anywhere yet. What is wrong with turning on Digital Vibrance?

beavis 999
08-02-04, 05:57 PM
Disabling "FASTWRITES" in Bios very often solves problems with freezing...it worked with my rig.

coldfirenj
08-02-04, 06:54 PM
Man, I am in the same boat as you. Almost, I have the same problems with my PNY 6800U and have yet to see a fix..

Scrith
08-02-04, 08:31 PM
I am also having freezing problems with my new eVGA 6800 Ultra. The problem is occuring in several games. The only thing that has changed in my system was changing my video card (from an ATI 9800 Pro...by the way, I ran the ATI driver cleaner before installing the latest nVidia drivers, 61.77, for the new card).

The freezes happen once every 10-20 minutes and last 5-10 seconds. On two occasions the screen was kind of messed up (as in some of the pixels were stuck, and some of the colors were wrong) after the freeze.

I've tried enabling Coolbits2 and changing the 2D and 3D clock settings to the same values (I've tried 400, 405, and 425). This did not solve the problem. The card seems to reach around 65C at full load regardless of what speed I run it at, by the way.

I will look for this "Digital Vibrance" feature, but I don't remember seeing anything like that in the nVidia Control Panel.

I tried increasing the AGP voltage in my BIOS from the default setting to the next highest setting (1.6 I think, but not sure), which may have helped a little bit (it seemed to be happening a bit less often afterwards, but maybe I was just getting lucky).

I'll also try turning off Fast Writes in the motherboard BIOS (haven't tried this yet).

Other than the freezes, my games are running just fine, and the performance is very good. I'll be picking up Doom 3 tomorrow to see how it does with the new card.

YOGIx213
08-02-04, 08:39 PM
Man, they didn't send your card off to Nvidia, they checked it, found nothing wrong, boxed it and sent it out to someone else! :rolleyes: Anyway, I have a PNY Ultra also and did not underclock it, just equalled out the clocks (2D and 3D). I left it at 425 (stock) because the more I overclock, the more unstable the card got (freezing and crashing). I have digital vibrance on and it's not causing any problems. I think you should just clock the card equally on 2d/3d settings.

JimPage
08-02-04, 09:05 PM
The freezes happen once every 10-20 minutes and last 5-10 seconds. On two occasions the screen was kind of messed up (as in some of the pixels were stuck, and some of the colors were wrong) after the freeze.
Yep, that's almost the exact same problem I had.
I hear the tech support for eVGA is quite nice. Have you called them? I hear they may be making their own bios update.

I'll also try turning off Fast Writes in the motherboard BIOS (haven't tried this yet).
Let us know if it fixes the problem

-Jim

JimPage
08-02-04, 09:07 PM
Man, they didn't send your card off to Nvidia, they checked it, found nothing wrong, boxed it and sent it out to someone else! :rolleyes: Anyway, I have a PNY Ultra also and did not underclock it, just equalled out the clocks (2D and 3D). I left it at 425 (stock) because the more I overclock, the more unstable the card got (freezing and crashing). I have digital vibrance on and it's not causing any problems. I think you should just clock the card equally on 2d/3d settings.
Anything is possible. Anyway, did you have problems with your card originally as well? And did that fix it? Also, you used coolbits I assume? (I haven't used coolbits yet)

YOGIx213
08-02-04, 09:18 PM
Yeah, my PNY had problems as soon as I installed it. It would freeze up, especially in Far Cry. Then, I read somewhere in this forum about setting the 2D and 3D settings equally to stabilize the card and tried it. My card has been solid since. I also disabled fastwrites but I think the main issue to resolve would be the 2d/3d settings. Oh, and yes, I used Coolbits to modify the clock speeds. When you get your new card and continue to have the freezing problems, try this out, I'm pretty sure it will help.

JimPage
08-02-04, 09:30 PM
Yea, I learned about the 2D/3D and fastwrites thing recently. I'll definitly give it a try, as I have no doubt the new one I receive will continue to have the same problems.

Scrith
08-03-04, 12:48 AM
My problem seems to have been solved (played 2+ hours of various games, including Far Cry, and didn't the freeze once).

The solution: turning off Fast Writes in my motherboard BIOS settings.

Once I read the tech support link given above that said there was a known problem with nForce3 motherboards (I have a Chaintech nForce3-250 board w/ a Athlon64 3200+) and Fast Writes, I immediately made the change and everything has been good ever since.

By the way, just to repeat from my post above, setting the 2D and 3D clock settings to the same value did NOT fix my problem. Turning off Fast Writes fixed it.

Picking up Doom 3 tomorrow...can't wait!

JimPage
08-03-04, 01:24 AM
Picking up Doom 3 tomorrow...can't wait!

Ah, good for you.

Hopefully I won't go insane before my replacement arrives.. already I see a hint of foam coming from my mouth from the lack of sanity, and.. twitching when I.. t-talk..

Y-You know what it's like to have a geforce 6800U given to you for a week or two.. and then suddenly taken away and replaced with an old, slow, horrible video card, with no replacement in sight?

The horror.. It's... pure horror.

jeffz
08-03-04, 06:51 AM
PNY have send to me a new bios (it's only for the ultra model).

If you want i can host on my web page and post the link for your pleasure.

It is arrived on my mailbox just now and don't have proved it. ( i'am to work) here in italy is 13:45 pm :)

plz tell me if i must host this new bios on my web page.

cya.

Raptorman
08-03-04, 10:02 AM
I found another way to solve the "freezing" with the PNY 6800U was to use the 62.20 beta's. Those work great, but you have to enable SM 3.0 in them.

Digital_Maximus
08-05-04, 09:53 AM
How would I disable "Fast Writes" on a MSI KT8-Neo 64-Bit Motherboard?

Please discribe in detail.......Thank you! :nanahump:

mariorulz247
08-05-04, 10:40 AM
coo tag

mariorulz247
08-05-04, 10:43 AM
arnt the 2d and 3d value already set the same by default? :retard:

Sir Random
08-05-04, 02:25 PM
PNY have send to me a new bios (it's only for the ultra model).

If you want i can host on my web page and post the link for your pleasure.

It is arrived on my mailbox just now and don't have proved it. ( i'am to work) here in italy is 13:45 pm :)

plz tell me if i must host this new bios on my web page.

cya.
Yes, please put the new Ultra BIOS online for download. I'd like to see if it's a newer version than 5.40.02.05.15

Digital_Maximus
08-05-04, 11:40 PM
Wouldn't that Bios from "italy" be incompatible with the U.S.A.
version of the PNY Ge-Force 6800 Ultra??? Or would that Bios work for all PNY Ge-Force 6800 Ultras???? If compatible please give us all the link on your next post, so we can all download it. Thanks! :clap: