PDA

View Full Version : Canadains that ordered a video card from EVGA...

Moot
08-02-04, 08:26 PM
I was just wondering if I could get some input from Canadians who have ordered a 6800 series card from EVGA. First of all what shipment method did you choose and secondly did you end up paying tax and duty on your card? Thanks from the input

garikfox
08-02-04, 09:04 PM
Im in AZ USA but know this question, Is YES, U will be charged all the things u said. :(

Another words add like 100 more canadian maybe less not sure on yer monies though.

P.S heard another guy do what u did, he bought for 399.00 US ended up being 460.00 US in Canadian monies i dont know.

Moot
08-02-04, 09:48 PM
The Card = 399.99 for a GT from EVGA. Shipping = 20.95 for the slowest shipping method. The total for that is 420.94, which today converts to 560.38 Canadian. Adding another 14.5 % tax, and duty to that would really hurt. How much is duty anyway? One guy on the fourm from canada said he bought two cards from EVGA and they didn't charge him any more. He was using the priority shipping method. I was wondering, was it a fulke that he didn't get charged? Did the priority shipping have something to do with it? Or what's the deal. If there is no tax It would be very worth while from me to order from evga.

BYUNews
08-02-04, 11:21 PM
I can vouch for those damn shipping charges. The UPS guys charged me $120 at the door for "brokerage". If you ship from EVGA standard, to Canada, they will make you pay $120. Beware.

Stoneyguy
08-02-04, 11:54 PM
sweet Geez!!! What about USPS?

Moot
08-03-04, 12:38 AM
$120 at the door :retard: hehe *wonders were the cheapest place to get a 6800 GT from is. Preferably an EVGA one. I like the stock cooler with nalu on it.*

vapor
08-03-04, 02:13 AM
If you chose the express shipping, the total cost will be around $600 Cdn. The insane UPS brokerage fees are waived when you choose express shipping. TISaint said his total came out to $600, and John the Canuck said his came out to ~$620.

The cheapest 6800GT I've seen listed in Canada is the Leadtek 6800GT. NCIX (http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=12398&vpn=299616C&manufacture=Leadtek) says they'll be shipped around August 5th. Price match ATIC (http://www.atic.ca/index.php?page=LongDesc&sku=07506)'s price of $535, and the total with taxes isn't that bad.

Moot
08-03-04, 12:12 PM
cool beans. Thanks for the info. I think i'm going to order my 6800 GT from EVGA.com later today and use express shipping. Hopefully it does work out to about ~600 canadian, and no brokerage fees. I like the stock cooler better than the leadtek one. plus ordering from atic or ncix would still work out to more. 535(price) x 1.145(tax) = 612.68, Then you still have to add the shipping.

Moot
08-03-04, 01:16 PM
man this is so retarted I keep getting this while trying to order the card.

"
We're sorry but we were unable to complete your order at this time.

--- This transaction has been voided. ---

The reason returned was:

Address Verification Failed

The address you entered was not authorized by your credit card. Please make sure that this address is a confirmed address with your credit card company.
"

:retard:

and I've check the address over and over again. I mean I know what my address is.

Sweat the status on the 6800 GT's has just changed to

"BackOrdered"

:fu: (crazy)

tobywong
08-03-04, 01:25 PM
I got mine from tigerdirect.ca which at the time was about $30 cheaper than ncix's listed price. Looks like they don't currently have any more GTs in stock tho....

extreme_dB
08-03-04, 03:53 PM
I tried to order the eVGA 6800 GT 2 weeks ago but also kept getting the "address verification failed" error with two different credit cards. I emailed customer support and they told me to buy from somewhere else. :(

I'm going to buy the MSI 6800 GT from infonec.com (in person). It costs $595.00 ($684.25 with tax, in cash; credit cards add 3%), comes with an ugly heatsink and no Far Cry, and I have to do a ~40km round trip in traffic to get it. :)

Campylobacter
08-03-04, 05:58 PM
I did the same thing. Im Canadian and grew impatient with waiting so I tried to order from www.evga.com. I got the same error that was reported here. After a few phone calls Joe from evga.com tells me that this is a common problem with Canadian customers (~80% of Canadian customers actually). Since evga.com takes no phone orders whatsoever we are basically screwed. Their advice was to order from www.legendmicro.com or www.zipzoomfly.com. However be advised the root of this problem was the credit card verification company/program (he said it was Verisign) that is used by nearly all US online vendors. Lo and behold when I ordered an Ultra from www.zipzoomfly.com I got an email stating that I had an address verification problem. This site, however, allows you to call and they manually verify your address info and take your order off hold. So my evga Ultra should be on its way now.

Hope this helps.

P.S. also tried 2 different credit cards for both places...

Campy

ElwinTheDark
08-03-04, 11:49 PM
I did the same thing. Im Canadian and grew impatient with waiting so I tried to order from www.evga.com. I got the same error that was reported here. After a few phone calls Joe from evga.com tells me that this is a common problem with Canadian customers (~80% of Canadian customers actually). Since evga.com takes no phone orders whatsoever we are basically screwed. Their advice was to order from www.legendmicro.com or www.zipzoomfly.com. However be advised the root of this problem was the credit card verification company/program (he said it was Verisign) that is used by nearly all US online vendors. Lo and behold when I ordered an Ultra from www.zipzoomfly.com I got an email stating that I had an address verification problem. This site, however, allows you to call and they manually verify your address info and take your order off hold. So my evga Ultra should be on its way now.

Hope this helps.

P.S. also tried 2 different credit cards for both places...

Campy

Exactly, i was lucky enough that my GF had a credit card from another bank(BMO) than mine and it worked.
It costed me 620$ cdn total. I've taken the express shipping and it was there the day after !! talk about fast service.

Raike
08-04-04, 12:36 AM
Hey not sure if this helps but I am in Canada and have ordered two 6800 nu's one from tigerdirect and one from monarchcomputers, I know the monarch orders give an option to pay 20 bucks on shipping by regular US postal (obviously it takes longer this way) but it gets around brokerge fee's. Also my buddy who ordered his one from Monrach actually got his with out duty or tax tacked on to it (hoping mine comes like this as well) so in the end he only ended up paying 408 canadian for his 6800nu, vs the 490 it cost for the first one I orderd for my other friend from tigerdirect.ca . Now was he just lucky and somehow got by duty and tax I dunno but i'm hoping i will get away with it as well, and save my self some coin. If not and I end up paying tax on it, oh well it will still only be 480 and considering I can't get one locally in the end it's still worth it.

Moot
08-04-04, 02:38 AM
Mhm. thanks all for the input. It helps me think :) . Although I still don’t know were I’m going to get my 6800 GT from. Ideally I’d like to get one with a galaxy glacier heat sink, or the stock heat skin /w nalu on it. Although I’m will to take, any brand of card, with a stock heat skink, which is selling for the MSRP or less. Of course they have to ship to Canada, and I’d also like to figure out how this duty thing works. A surprise extra 120 dollar expense wouldn’t be good….. Doom 3 is a lot scarier when you can actually see what you’re shooting at, so I’m trying not to play too far into the game using my Ti 4200.... Having Doom 3 installed and making yourself not play it till you get a new video card is a hard thing to do. I'm going to go crazy (crazy)

tobywong
08-04-04, 09:53 AM
I believe the brokerage fee I had to pay on mine was $21 cdn

vapor
08-04-04, 09:08 PM
Moot, I just contacted NCIX and they said that the Leadtek 6800GTs will be arriving at their warehouse tomorrow, so you may want to look into preordering one. Not a bad buy at $535 and $628.63 after tax and paid with CC. I haven't looked into shipping as there are three NCIXs in my area. The Leadtek cooler supposedly runs at 30dBa and it definately looks like all that copper cools better than the stock cooler too. It's win-win :nana:

avesta
08-04-04, 09:30 PM
I think the only way to be sure about taxes/duty/other fees is to call the Canadian Customs and Revenue Agency.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/menu-e.html

here is a link to the Canada Border Services Agency:
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/menu-e.html

Let us know if you get any useful info from them, as Im in the same boat as you are, im looking at purchasing a whole system.

Moot
08-04-04, 09:32 PM
hmmm Interesting. 30 db? how loud is the stock cooler? do you know of any Leadtek 6800GT reviews. I'm going to start looking right now to see what I can find. IMO the cooler is kinda ugly but if it works good, what the heck. It's not like I actually look at my computer anyway. ;-)

vapor
08-05-04, 12:15 AM
Not sure about the noise level of the stock cooler.

Here are two reviews:
http://www.tbreak.com/reviews/article.php?id=326
http://www.************/read.php?cID=660

Moot
08-05-04, 01:09 AM
Sweet. That leadtek card is starting to look pretty good.. I think I’m going to think it over tonight, and more than likely order the card tomorrow… thanks for the tip ;-)

vapor
08-05-04, 01:39 AM
No problem. I just hope there are some left when I preorder (or reserve, they're in stock according to NCIX) the minute they open tomorrow morning. Who knows when a shipment will come in again if I miss this round of 6800GTs :|

Mithan
08-05-04, 01:55 AM
I was just wondering if I could get some input from Canadians who have ordered a 6800 series card from EVGA. First of all what shipment method did you choose and secondly did you end up paying tax and duty on your card? Thanks from the input

I got one from them a month ago.

I ordered at GT with the fastest shipping. Total price including taxes, duty, shipping, etc was about $525 or so. I ordered it on a friday and got it monday morning.