PDA

View Full Version : New, very happy, and slightly sad.

conBLACK
08-02-04, 08:52 PM
Hi, as you can most likely tell by my post title and post count, I am new to the NV News forums. I recently had the pleasure of re-joining the NVIDIA family. Thanks to my luck in finding a great-paying job for a college student, I was able to treat myself to an eVGA GeForce 6800 Ultra which I pre-ordered from eVGA's website last night. My first high end video card was a GeForce 1 that unfortunately died last year (I'm keeping it anyway because it was the start of the GeForce line :) ). Like many of you I am upgrading my system for Doom 3.

My most recent video card is a Radeon 9600 Pro. I feel kind of bad for replacing this card because it still preforms well in the latest games and has a lot of life left in it, but I think that the sheer feeling of joy that I'll have owning a powerful piece of hardware like a 6800 Ultra will quickly chase my sorrows away :)

Anyway, this card is a very significant investment for me and I'm a little worried about a few things. I have been lurking in these forums fo a few weeks now, trying to absorb as much information as I can about the 6800 series and I apoligize if any of this has been covered specifically and I missed it. I don't want to make a bad first impression.

1. People have been raving about the BFG 6800 Ultra OC, this card is just an overclocked 6800 Ultra, right? If I wanted to, could I overclock my card to make it just as powerful? Is the power even worth it? (I found it back-ordered at a few places for an extra $50)

2. I have read posts here about people running Doom 3 in Ultra Quality using the BFG card with nice frame rates, if the rest of my system is up to the task, will my eVGA 6800 Ultra be able to do this also?

3. I've never really heard of eVGA before coming here, did I make a good choice? I chose them mainly because they would ship in a week or so according to their website.

I sincerely apoligize if these comparison questions or eVGA company info questions have been covered before.

Secondly, mods I thought this would be more appropriate outside of the "I JUST ORDERED/RECEIVED A GeForce 6800 Ultra/GT/Standard!" thread because it involved more than me just saying that I was getting one. I apoligize if I was wrong in posting it outside of that thread.

This really is a significant investment for me and my job is a very repetitive factory job, so I have a lot of time to worry about these things and they have been bothering me all day today. I just kind of quickly ordered my card before I had to go to bed last night to ensure I would get in the second pre-order on eVGA. Thank you in advance for any help you can offer me.

P.S. I cannot wait to get the Nalu demo running on my computer, it looks fantastic!

garikfox
08-02-04, 09:10 PM
I loaded Nalu has a NICE sound scheme with it, Youll like eVGA I do. :)

P.S there GPU fans rarely go out, Which is a Killer with me, I am Mr. Bad GPU fan. LoL

honestjohn
08-02-04, 09:18 PM
Hi, as you can most likely tell by my post title and post count, I am new to the NV News forums. I recently had the pleasure of re-joining the NVIDIA family. Thanks to my luck in finding a great-paying job for a college student, I was able to treat myself to an eVGA GeForce 6800 Ultra which I pre-ordered from eVGA's website last night. My first high end video card was a GeForce 1 that unfortunately died last year (I'm keeping it anyway because it was the start of the GeForce line :) ). Like many of you I am upgrading my system for Doom 3.

My most recent video card is a Radeon 9600 Pro. I feel kind of bad for replacing this card because it still preforms well in the latest games and has a lot of life left in it, but I think that the sheer feeling of joy that I'll have owning a powerful piece of hardware like a 6800 Ultra will quickly chase my sorrows away :)

Anyway, this card is a very significant investment for me and I'm a little worried about a few things. I have been lurking in these forums fo a few weeks now, trying to absorb as much information as I can about the 6800 series and I apoligize if any of this has been covered specifically and I missed it. I don't want to make a bad first impression.

1. People have been raving about the BFG 6800 Ultra OC, this card is just an overclocked 6800 Ultra, right? If I wanted to, could I overclock my card to make it just as powerful? Is the power even worth it? (I found it back-ordered at a few places for an extra $50)

2. I have read posts here about people running Doom 3 in Ultra Quality using the BFG card with nice frame rates, if the rest of my system is up to the task, will my eVGA 6800 Ultra be able to do this also?

3. I've never really heard of eVGA before coming here, did I make a good choice? I chose them mainly because they would ship in a week or so according to their website.

I sincerely apoligize if these comparison questions or eVGA company info questions have been covered before.

Secondly, mods I thought this would be more appropriate outside of the "I JUST ORDERED/RECEIVED A GeForce 6800 Ultra/GT/Standard!" thread because it involved more than me just saying that I was getting one. I apoligize if I was wrong in posting it outside of that thread.

This really is a significant investment for me and my job is a very repetitive factory job, so I have a lot of time to worry about these things and they have been bothering me all day today. I just kind of quickly ordered my card before I had to go to bed last night to ensure I would get in the second pre-order on eVGA. Thank you in advance for any help you can offer me.

P.S. I cannot wait to get the Nalu demo running on my computer, it looks fantastic!

Welcome to the 6800 Club! Growing everyday!

1. BFG makes a great card, but if I were you I would by a standard Ultra and take your chances, which are extremely good at overclocking it. Providing your Power Supply and Case Cooling are sufficient.

2. Yes it will, providing the rest of your system is up to the task. Especially, if you don't mind running at reduced resoltuion such as 1280x1024 or 1024x768. I'm hoping for 1600x1200 myself although my I'm sure that's a pipe-dream since my CPU is gonna bottleneck me.

3. EVGA makes a great card. Previously owned a 5900 Ultra. They have very good customer service aim to please. The only thing I don't like is the 1 year warranty. Hell, I'll probably be ready for a new card by then anyway.

Nalu does look great, although I am partial to Ruby, which really runs well with a wrapper. I dig red-heads, what can I say.

conBLACK
08-02-04, 09:28 PM
Thanks a lot, I was worrying myself sick over whether I should go for the BFG and cancel this pre-order. You guys are really reassuring, I greatly appreciate it.

This is going to sound really geeky and pathetic but in regards to your post...

I think that Nalu looks hotter than Ruby :tongue2:

...except I'm not into girls with fish tails.

garikfox
08-02-04, 09:33 PM
me too make her naked youll really love her, lol :)

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=30160

honestjohn
08-02-04, 09:43 PM
me too make her naked youll really love her, lol :)

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=30160

Yeah, saw that. Links to .dds files don't work? Know where I can download them? Now if I could only find a way to do this with "The Little Mermaid". Hey, like I said before, I dig red-heads.

(Now how's that for geeky and pathetic ConBlack?)

YOGIx213
08-02-04, 09:47 PM
eVGA is a great company, good quality, good customer service. They were the first company I was looking towards but at the time they were backordered so I went to PNY. Don't worry,you'll be getting a solid card.

evilchris
08-02-04, 11:59 PM
The eVGA card is the same card as the BFG, plus you get a free FarCry =) Don't OC it, you won't notice any improvements while playing. I had my GT up to Ultra levels and noticed nothing, for example. ( except better benchmarks scores but who cares )

Ruined
08-03-04, 12:02 AM
eVGA has dynamic overclocking, it will probably be the same speed out of the box as the bfg (425/1100)

|JuiceZ|
08-03-04, 12:25 AM
Don't worry you made a good choice. eVGA makes good cards and they're supported just as well. :thumbsup:

btw, Welcome to NVNews! mate ;)

UDawg
08-03-04, 12:36 AM
Here! here! always good to see new people coming on to the board. Welcome!