PDA

View Full Version : Getting 1 FPS in Doom 3... WTF?

Warden13
08-02-04, 09:43 PM
Ok a couple of nights ago I installed Painkiller and it seemed really slow. Since I knew I was getting Doom 3 today I wanted to make sure my system was top notch so I formatted and reinstalled XP. Installed my motherboard drivers, got all my updates downloaded, installed DX 9.0c, installed 61.77 drivers and Painkiller still seemed slow. No really stuttering but just very low FPS.

So I get Doom 3 today and I fire it up and I'm noticing the same thing. I decided to run FRAPS to see what the hell it was reporting and I'm getting 1-2 FPS... sometimes 0! I drop the resolution down to 640x480, drop the AA and quality settings to low just to see what happens and I'm still getting 1 FPS. I also noticed that it seems to take 2-3 minutes to load the level?

I clocked my CPU and Video card back to stock levels to see if that had any effect and nothing changed. I uninstalled all my motherboard, chipset and video card drivers and ran driver cleaner. Reinstalled them all and tried 61.76 drivers but still the same thing happens (keep in mind I had already re-formatted 2 nights ago so its a clean install).

Full specs are as follows:

A64-3200
Gigabyte K8N-Pro
1 gig of PC 3200 Ram
Seagate 120gig SATA drive w/8 mb Cache
Lite ON CD-ROm and DVD drives
Hercules Game Theatre XP 6.1 with latest drivers

Wednesday I'll have a new Mobo and CPU here so I'll most likely be doing a fresh install again but I cant figure out what the hell the proble is here.

Warden

Sazar
08-02-04, 09:53 PM
do you have all the drivers assosciated with your motherboard installed?

Lezmaka
08-02-04, 10:13 PM
Try this

Go into the control panel, select performance & quality in the list, make sure "Show advanced settings" is checked, then try setting Hardware acceleration to "Single-display mode."

If I have it set to multi-display compatibility mode or multi-display performance mode, Nalu crashes and Timbury runs at around 1FPS.

Couldn't hurt to try at least.

Edit: spelling...

rent
08-02-04, 10:24 PM
Try this

Go into the control panel, select performance & quality in the list, make sure "Show advanced settings" is checked, then try setting Hardware acceleration to "Single-display mode."

If I have it set to multi-display compatibility mode or multi-display performance mode, Nalue crashes and Timbury runs at around 1FPS.

Dude, I <3 you. :beer:

I got 5.7fps the first time I ran the timedemo. I was ****ING PISSED. Now I get 80.9 :nanahump:

Warden13
08-02-04, 10:36 PM
Try this

If I have it set to multi-display compatibility mode or multi-display performance mode, Nalue crashes and Timbury runs at around 1FPS.

When I go into Performance and Quality in the display menu there is no option for "show advanced settings". Under Open GL there is an option that says "Multi-Display hardware acceleration" but it's greyed out and it does say single display mode. It seems to be greyed out since I only have a single monitor hooked up.

I have all drivers for my Mobo installed as well.

Warden

OWA
08-02-04, 10:42 PM
When I go into Performance and Quality in the display menu there is no option for "show advanced settings".
You don't? What does it show? You're supposed to have an option that lets you change the advanced settings like turning on/off trilinear optimizaitons, ansi opts, and a few more things.

Lezmaka
08-02-04, 10:59 PM
When I go into Performance and Quality in the display menu there is no option for "show advanced settings". Under Open GL there is an option that says "Multi-Display hardware acceleration" but it's greyed out and it does say single display mode. It seems to be greyed out since I only have a single monitor hooked up.

I have all drivers for my Mobo installed as well.

Warden

Hmmm, I don't have a separate entry for OpenGL. Does the control panel look like this for you?
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=7288&stc=1

It sounds like you might have Coolbits2 installed, but I don't think that'd change the fact that the option is disabled.

Warden13
08-02-04, 11:04 PM
I did have Coolbits2 installed. I updated the driver and now it looks like yours. SIngle display is checked but still get the same result. I've tried booting from my backup bios (Gigabyt boards have 2 bios installed on them), enabled and disabled DMA, no side band and no fast writes.

Warden

JayrodTremonki
08-02-04, 11:22 PM
Very odd. One thing that one of the developers of Doom3 did say was that OC'ed hardware wasn't very friendly with Doom3. But you said you had it back to stock so I dunno =\

Warden13
08-02-04, 11:28 PM
Well I just timed it and it took over 5 minutes to load my saved game. Now I'm thinking perhaps there's something going on with my hard drive or hard drive controller? I imagine that could cause these type of issues as well. I guess I'll leave it alone until my new Mobo gets here on Wednesday and start from scratch with it all :(

Warden