PDA

View Full Version : Screen turns bright, then dark

Kev1
10-28-02, 04:03 PM
On its own? I have another computer system with this problem and I can't figure it out. System is as follows:

MSI K7T Turbo-R Mobo
Athlon TBird 1.2 ghz @ 1.35 ghz
Volcano 2 Fan/Heatsink
256 megs Mushkin Rev3
Visiontek GF3 Ti200 at stock speed (175c/400m)
SB Live 5.1
Netgear FA311 Nic
325 watt PS

This particular Visiontek card won't overclock worth a damn. Core does ok and will go to 225 or so, but memory won't do anything over 415 without artifacts. Computer has 9 fans, rounded cables, etc, so cooling is good. CPU never leaves the 40c range.

I'm wondering if the video card is messed up. Plays games fine, just that the brightness goes up and down, not tons but just enough to be annoying. I don't think its the monitor, as its same make as the one with my DDR system and I don't have any problems with it. I was wondering if the filter in the monitor cable might be the culprit but I don't know. There is nothing near the computer to cause any interference with it.

I'm kindof stumped. If anyone has any ideas what it might be please post. Oh, I am using RivaTuner with Det 30.30 drivers at the moment, but it has done it with other drivers. Have not tried 40.72 dets on this computer yet, but will sometime.

I'm just wondering if I need to RMA to Visiontek, as video card is about a year old but supposedly has a lifetime warranty. But I heard Visiontek went out of business (Although their website is still up), so warranty may be moot point.

Oh well, any ideas let me know. Thanks.

StealthHawk
10-28-02, 06:36 PM
i would have to say it's the monitor or the video card. probably the monitor. my friend's monitor used to operate normally, but every so often while playing games it would have this weird yellow tint to everything. suffice to say 6 months later it burned out.

Kev1
10-28-02, 09:23 PM
I'll try and double check by hooking up the K7T Turbo-R system to the monitor I am using with my DDR system and see what happens.

Kev1
10-30-02, 07:13 PM
I switched the computer over to my monitor from my DDR system (exact same make of monitor anyway) and there was no flashing or anything in 3 hrs of use.

So I switched computer back to other monitor, but also switched my cable thinking monitor cable may be the problem. Nope, cable wasn't problem as monitor started going bright and dark again after I switched back.

So at this point I know problem is in monitor and not with Visiontek Video card or with the monitor cable. The screen getting brighter and darker on its own isn't too bad now, just annoying as heck. At least I know where the problem lies. Outside of the brightness problem, color and clarity of picture are still excellent.

Warranty just expired a month ago (Of course). Guess I'll have to look and see if I can get monitor checked out and if problem can be fixed :confused:

ReDeeMeR
10-31-02, 12:18 PM
Ya it's the monitor, I had same situation but I was still under warranty and they fixed it, I think it's due to dust or something else burning and damaging parts.

Kev1
10-31-02, 07:31 PM
I never thought it could be dust, but now that you mention it it very well could. Seems like our computer stuff is a dust magnet.

I saw where I could take the back part of the monitor off and maybe spray out the dust with compressed air. I don't know if it would make a difference, but it couldn't hurt (as long as I don't use 300psi).

Or maybe I'll just let a tech look at it :rolleyes:

StealthHawk
10-31-02, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Kev1
I never thought it could be dust, but now that you mention it it very well could. Seems like our computer stuff is a dust magnet.

all electric devices attract dust, makes it a pain to have to clean so often :(