PDA

View Full Version : Ugly Quake 3 Sky

Spotch
08-03-04, 11:17 AM
Anyone know how to correct the blotchy sky with NV cards? I remember some compression command line setting or something from way back. I recently picked up a 6800GT and it is my first NV card in a few years so I just havent kept up with all the little tricks.

Thanks in advance for your help...

Spotch

saturnotaku
08-03-04, 11:39 AM
Anyone know how to correct the blotchy sky with NV cards? I remember some compression command line setting or something from way back. I recently picked up a 6800GT and it is my first NV card in a few years so I just havent kept up with all the little tricks.

Thanks in advance for your help...

Spotch

Turn off texture compression and that should do it. The line in the config file is something like r_compress_textures - you'll know it when you see it. Set that to "0" and you'll be fine. And as well as the NV40 performs, it's not something you really need anyway.

That being said, the texture compression issues that plagued cards like the GeForce4 Ti series have been for all intents and purposes resolved with cards like the FX5900 and better.

SmuvMoney
08-03-04, 01:55 PM
I believe it is r_ext_compressed_textures if you're using Q3A 1.32. I think you can turn on S3TC compression with nVHardPage to make the compression less ugly if you must have this turned on. It does make a difference FPS and benchmark wise having this off even with the power of the nV40.

ChrisRay
08-03-04, 01:59 PM
Turn off texture compression and that should do it. The line in the config file is something like r_compress_textures - you'll know it when you see it. Set that to "0" and you'll be fine. And as well as the NV40 performs, it's not something you really need anyway.

That being said, the texture compression issues that plagued cards like the GeForce4 Ti series have been for all intents and purposes resolved with cards like the FX5900 and better.

Actually the compression issue was fixed in the geforce 4 era, It was early geforce 2/geforce 3 issues which suffered from poor DXT compression.

Which is a big reason Geforce 3 cards (aside from most being 64 megs) are forced into low quality mode and used palletized textures in Doom 3..

Spotch
08-04-04, 10:00 PM
I believe it is r_ext_compressed_textures if you're using Q3A 1.32. I think you can turn on S3TC compression with nVHardPage to make the compression less ugly if you must have this turned on. It does make a difference FPS and benchmark wise having this off even with the power of the nV40.

Havent used Compressed textures in Q3 for a while. I have everything maxed and still get terrible IQ for the sky.
http://webpages.charter.net/Spotch/quake3%202004-08-04%2021-52-22-90.JPG

Cota
08-04-04, 10:22 PM
from your fps I assume you are running with v-sync on.

Anyway, if disabling texture compression doesn't help, it could be a driver issue, what drivers you using?.

Haven't run quake3 for a while but I never noticed any image quality issues when I tested it with my fx5900.

Son Goku
08-04-04, 11:13 PM
I haven't seen that since my GeForce 2 GTS days... Thought it was long since fixed, as with my GF3 Ti500 I didn't remember seeing it. Course I had a custom .cfg file by then, and also enabled Anisotropic filtering enabled in the drivers...

It is the texture compression, so get rid of that, and make sure AF is enabled in the drivers...

Spotch
08-14-04, 05:30 AM
I haven't seen that since my GeForce 2 GTS days... Thought it was long since fixed, as with my GF3 Ti500 I didn't remember seeing it. Course I had a custom .cfg file by then, and also enabled Anisotropic filtering enabled in the drivers...

It is the texture compression, so get rid of that, and make sure AF is enabled in the drivers...

I have AF on in drivers and r_ext_compress_textures is and always has been set to zero. No luck... Is there no help for this one out there?

from your fps I assume you are running with v-sync on.

Anyway, if disabling texture compression doesn't help, it could be a driver issue, what drivers you using?.

Haven't run quake3 for a while but I never noticed any image quality issues when I tested it with my fx5900.

I dont think is was on at the time but it is running at 2048x1536 so the framerate is a bit lower than you may expect.

Spotch
08-17-04, 01:46 AM
Am I to assume I am the only one with this problem???? I guess so... Wait maybe not... It seems there is pretty severe banding in Doom 3 too....
(Bump)