PDA

View Full Version : Is the 6800GT in stock anywhere in UK?

myshkinbob
08-03-04, 12:25 PM
Apologies if this counts as forum spam, but i'm having severe difficulty tracking down a 6800GT to buy anywhere. Has anybody seen a place with some in stock?

peter_storm
08-03-04, 01:13 PM
PC World Component Centre (http://www.pcwcomponentcentre.co.uk/invt/9105210401)
I got my PNY 6800GT for about £270 about three weeks ago before anywhere else (that I could find) in the UK had them in, but now PC World have put up their price to around £300, which I think is the norm.

Superfly
08-03-04, 01:37 PM
PC World Component Centre (http://www.pcwcomponentcentre.co.uk/invt/9105210401)
I got my PNY 6800GT for about £270 about three weeks ago before anywhere else (that I could find) in the UK had them in, but now PC World have put up their price to around £300, which I think is the norm.

Yup - I did exactly the same £270 2 weeks ago.

www.overclockers.co.uk is another good place to look.

The Boatman
08-03-04, 06:16 PM
I did this too, it came to £280 inc postage.

Chippy
08-04-04, 06:28 AM
Apologies if this counts as forum spam, but i'm having severe difficulty tracking down a 6800GT to buy anywhere. Has anybody seen a place with some in stock?

www.overclockers.co.uk have the leadtek 6800GT in stock today £294. Nice card!

Staggeringly, Tekheads even have 6800 Ultras in stock too, including 3 year warranty, £394:

http://www.tekheads.co.uk/s/product?product=603345

Chip

dan666
08-04-04, 07:22 AM
www.overclockers.co.uk also have the Point of View GeForce 6800 Ultra 256MB in stock if yoy feel like spashing out

www.scan.co.uk have the 256MB AOpen Aeolus GeForce 6800 GT in stock at the moment too, Scan are my favorites this is who I bought my card from.

myshkinbob
08-04-04, 11:20 AM
thanks for links guys, i was checking overclockers.co.uk, scan, dabs, pccomponentworld and quite a few others late last night with no luck. amazing what change a day makes.

I decided to go with the leadtek 6800gt, it's 20 quid more, but what i really like about it is the non-reference cooling solution. It's reportedly quite a bit quieter than the stock coolers. Should arrive friday btw. :D

Speaking of quiet, i've never posted about my rig on here before. It's virtually silent, right now i'm running a 430w enermax psu with a single 80mm exhaust fan at ~8volt. The cpu is a 2400+ slightly undervolted and cooled by a 120mm fan at 7volt. The current graphics card is a ti4200 with the whiny 35mm stock fan ripped off and an 80mm fan at 5volt bolted on instead. That all adds up to a relatively cool running silent system, in fact the loudest component is the two 40gb barracuda IV drives, and they're known to be the quietest drives around. They are uncoupled from the chassis though, the drive bay is suspended by bungee cord so no vibration is transmitted to resonate through the case. I've been running this configuration for about one and a half years, so there's no impact on the longevity of the components either. The reason i silenced the rig was because i use the system as a music jukebox as well as a 3d design and gaming machine, and the usual pc whine really destroys any music with a dynamic volume range, as well as muffling anything around 4khz.

Anyway, thought i'd post the details to show you can make your system a lot quieter with some research and ingenuity, and without comprimising stability. The ti4200 is even overclocked to 305/475! hopefully the above tips and techniques will come in handy for a few other people on these boards.

Thanks again for the links, i just got a 19" mitsubishi diamondtron superbright monitor so 1600x1200 gaming here i come. :D

Chippy
08-04-04, 11:23 AM
myshkinbob

Its going to be a damned site noisier with the 6800GT installed mate. It will be the loudest component in your system by miles I would think.

Chip

myshkinbob
08-04-04, 11:27 AM
i know it's going to raise the dB considerably, but at least in 2d mode with the leadtek cooler it shouldn't be unbearable. Let's face it, i couldn't keep the ti4200 forever if i want to continue playing the latest games. Besides, i may yet find a workable mod for it that doesn't require voiding the warranty. ;)

Chippy
08-04-04, 11:37 AM
Besides, i may yet find a workable mod for it that doesn't require voiding the warranty. ;)

I would say no chance. Ripping the stock cooler off and fitter a VGA Silencer or a water block will be the only way, imho.

BTW, I am not saying you shouldn't have got rid of the ti4200. I am delighted with my 6800GT, even though its the loudest thing in my system. Its not a particularly annoying noise, just an air-rushing-around noise rather than anything whiny. Also BTW, 2d, 3d... makes no difference to the fan speed. The fan revs higher at boot up and then settles down. I have never managed to get it to do the higher speed at any other time, no matter what I throw at it.

Chip

myshkinbob
08-04-04, 01:37 PM
Maybe it will take fitting a VGA silencer to keep it quiet and cool, i'll have to see on friday. By the way, chippy, is it the stock cooler you have, or do you have the leadtek model?

Razorman
08-04-04, 01:49 PM
Leadtek 6800gt from overclockers with the oem cooler is very quiet

myshkinbob
08-04-04, 03:46 PM
Ah thanks for posting razorman, i'm glad to hear it. :)

Chippy
08-05-04, 02:37 AM
Leadtek 6800gt from overclockers with the oem cooler is very quiet

Everything's relative, I think. Given that myshkinbob undervolts his CPU, runs a 12v CPU fan at 7v, case fan at 8v, etc etc etc, he obviously likes things *quiet*. Notwithstanding your comment above, I still expect his 6800gt will be the loudest thing in the case. Anyway, we will soon see! (or hear).

Chip