PDA

View Full Version : 6800 Ultra Vs. GT at same speed?

ThunderGod66
08-03-04, 01:19 PM
I was just wondering if there are any articles comparing the stock Ultra vs. the GT at the Ultra's speeds? I've seen comparisons of GTs overclocked passed Ultra's default speeds but I'm just curious how they would compare when clocked equally.

I have an XFX GT on the way and I don't want to stress it too much by max overclocking it so I was thinking about just putting it at the Ultra's speeds to be on the safe side.

Lfctony
08-03-04, 01:22 PM
My guess would be exactly the same performance, there are no architectural differences between the 2.

ricercar
08-03-04, 01:58 PM
Don't count on all GTs making Ultra speeds. NVIDIA has reasons to put chips into the Ultra bin and others into the GT bin. Binning is a standard practice, where failure of a test means the chip is placed into the lower bin.

Sometimes the consumer gets lucky and sees huge quantities of chips that could have been binned higher. To wit: the GeForce4 Ti4200->4600 speeds. The jury is still out on the GT->Ultra speeds, but things do look good.

anzak
08-03-04, 02:30 PM
Don't count on all GTs making Ultra speeds. NVIDIA has reasons to put chips into the Ultra bin and others into the GT bin. Binning is a standard practice, where failure of a test means the chip is placed into the lower bin.

Sometimes the consumer gets lucky and sees huge quantities of chips that could have been binned higher. To wit: the GeForce4 Ti4200->4600 speeds. The jury is still out on the GT->Ultra speeds, but things do look good.

I have had a chance to overclock 3 GT's and so far all of them have done Ultra speeds. My latest BFG card would not do Ultra speeds with the original BIOS but after a flash to ultra to up the voltage it hit ultra speeds easy. I would say that 95% of the GT's will do ultra speeds, some just need a little more power.

A GT clocked at Ultra speeds performs the same as a Ultra.

ThunderGod66
08-03-04, 02:38 PM
Cool...
Yea I know it's a hit or miss, but you know how the saying goes:
If at first you don't succeed, sell it on ebay and try another one. :)

anzak
08-03-04, 02:47 PM
you know how the saying goes:
If at first you don't succeed, sell it on ebay and try another one. :)

:lol2:

Slybri
08-03-04, 03:02 PM
Got a pny 6800gt. I believe on most gts the memory is the 2.0 not the 1.6, so you can't overclock it as easily. I can only get to 1.8 without arty on the mem. But .02Ghz mem boost for 100$? Naw, I'm happy with the GT thanks.
BTW, DOOM 3, 1600X1200 high settings, ...like butter baby!!!

Nandro
08-03-04, 03:24 PM
I think the Ultra runs tighter memory timings so that would effect the performance a tad. Kind of like having 2-2-2 memory vs 3-3-3 in your rig.

anzak
08-03-04, 03:43 PM
I think the Ultra runs tighter memory timings so that would effect the performance a tad. Kind of like having 2-2-2 memory vs 3-3-3 in your rig.

All that would give you is a very VERY slight boost in bandwidth and trust me 400/1.1 and 400/1.2 performs the same on my GT so the card so it has more bandwidth than it really needs. The real performance gains are in the core clocks which the Ultra can provide due to it's huge cooling system.

Knell2
08-03-04, 04:56 PM
The differences should be none to very very small in game.
But with 6800 Ultra you get better chance to overclock core/memory higher and also better cooling solution. Then again it's that or $100. :)

Chippy
08-04-04, 10:56 AM
I have had a chance to overclock 3 GT's and so far all of them have done Ultra speeds. My latest BFG card would not do Ultra speeds with the original BIOS but after a flash to ultra to up the voltage it hit ultra speeds easy. I would say that 95% of the GT's will do ultra speeds, some just need a little more power.

A GT clocked at Ultra speeds performs the same as a Ultra.

I have a BFG 6800 GT that seems to max out at around 415/1060. I was a little disappointed by this, having read all the glowing reviews. (Especially since I have a $200 520w PSU with a 30A 12v rail, so I very much doubt if power is a problem.)

Are you saying the BFG 6800 Ultra bios might help? Do you know where I can get it?

Thanks

Chip

MrSavoy
08-04-04, 11:01 AM
One thing everyone needs to remember even stock GT vs stock ultra the performance difference is minimal. So what i'm saying is, even if you dont OC your GT its still only slightly slower than an ultra. Look at all the benchies, the GT is right behind the ultra in FPS in all games. I OC my BFG 6800 GT OC sometimes but its like so not worth it, you only get slight performance gains.

strk
08-04-04, 11:02 AM
I cant past 385 but this card rocks at 370 so i'm cool with that,why take a chance to damage your card not with me paying for it :)

MrSavoy
08-04-04, 11:11 AM
Well like I said above, I can OC my card to ultra speeds easily and then some but I rarely do it as I see no need. The real world performance difference isnt great enough to be worth it imo. Then again I'm also very CPU bottlenecked in my system so that could have something to do with it. But even on higher end cpu's from the benchies I have read its still not a hughe gain.

DRen72
08-05-04, 02:55 PM
Well, going from a BFG 6800 GT to an eVGA 6800 Ultra made the difference between running FarCry at 1280x1024 (GT) and 1600x1200 (Ultra). To be more technical, I think the difference comes when the core clock speed exceeds 415MHz. So if you have a GT that can get over 415MHz, I'd say high resolution play is very possible with good playable framerates. Just my observation.

noko
08-05-04, 04:49 PM
I couldn't overclock my GT pass 390mhz without artifacts in 3dMark03. I modified the bios to give 1.4v vice 1.3v to the core and I can now do 415mhz without artifacts, a 25mhz OC difference. I am playing Doom3 without any problems at 400/1100 core/mem speeds. These cards just plain rock :D.

tret
08-05-04, 05:50 PM
I have been using your +.1v bios mod and now I am running stable at 425/1100 where before 415 was about as high as i could go. I have been playing Doom3 near non stop for around 6 hours and have had no artifacts or problems to speak of. During a monorail trip from one part of the base to another there is one pointy rock in the martian landscape that has a little line in it that is white and kind of flashes a little tiny bit, but i tested it underclocked and overclocked and it is the same either way.

tret