PDA

View Full Version : Your Vote for Best Under $175 Speaker System

Gn00b
08-03-04, 03:40 PM
I'm in the market for a 4.1 or 5.1 set-up...

The Logitech Z-5300 is looking good, but on the other hand the Creative 5.1 Digital 5500 has appeal (digital (S/PDIF) input, wireless remote).

The system will be used almost exclusively for gaming...I dont listen to music on my PC (unless its in the game that is). I'll be using my on-board 6-channel audio.

I'd be interested in knowing what you think. Saving up another $XX+ is not an option...$175 is unfortunately already straining the budget.

What do you think is the most bang for the buck in 4.1 or 5.1 set-ups under $175?

saturnotaku
08-03-04, 04:25 PM
Based on the motherboard in your sig, I assume that it has Soundstorm. If that's the case, you'll want to go with digital speakers if you can. From what I understand, Soundstorm digital audio is about the best you can get (better even than an Audigy 2). It has outstanding quality and low CPU usage.

Gn00b
08-03-04, 05:07 PM
Yes, I have Soundstorm.

Perhaps I should have mentioned that bone-jarring bass and brain-numbing volume are not requisites. I would classify my normal listening volume level as "moderate".

Ninjaman09
08-04-04, 09:29 AM
Sorry to post another question, but I'm looking into buying new speakers and I was wondering if someone around here could help.

I currently have Logitech Z560s, which as some may know is a 4.1 system. It's also REALLY loud, especially the bass. Actually, it's a little TOO loud. I can't actually turn it down enough so that I can keep my neighbors from complaining and still hear the mid- to high-range sounds from all my games and music. I'm going to be downgrading, so to speak, to a lower-power 5.1 system. Remember, I want a system that I can hear well, but that the neighbors downstairs or next door can't hear at 12:00 at night.

I've been looking at the Logitech Z640s. They're only 53 bucks plus 9 for shipping on Newegg and from the several reviews I've read they seem like the speakers for me. Much lower output but it sounds like the quality is solid. If anyone has these, or knows of a similarly-priced 5.1 solution that is arguably better, please let me know.

stncttr908
08-05-04, 12:35 PM
Sorry to post another question, but I'm looking into buying new speakers and I was wondering if someone around here could help.

I currently have Logitech Z560s, which as some may know is a 4.1 system. It's also REALLY loud, especially the bass. Actually, it's a little TOO loud. I can't actually turn it down enough so that I can keep my neighbors from complaining and still hear the mid- to high-range sounds from all my games and music. I'm going to be downgrading, so to speak, to a lower-power 5.1 system. Remember, I want a system that I can hear well, but that the neighbors downstairs or next door can't hear at 12:00 at night.

I've been looking at the Logitech Z640s. They're only 53 bucks plus 9 for shipping on Newegg and from the several reviews I've read they seem like the speakers for me. Much lower output but it sounds like the quality is solid. If anyone has these, or knows of a similarly-priced 5.1 solution that is arguably better, please let me know.
They're excellent. Sell off those Z560's and enjoy some extra cash.

Gn00b, get the Creative ones and enjoy the digital goodness.

chigger_ns
08-05-04, 05:57 PM
Z640s Rock!
I have a set and I love them.
I only have a live5.1 and the speakers are really amazing for what they are.
They own me! :nanahump:

mikechai
08-06-04, 07:11 AM
The Logitech z5300 at price below $175 is hard to beat.
Do not get the Creative digital 5500!
Only their megaworks/gigaworks line worth a listen.
Even running at analog mode, the z5300 crushes the Creative 5500 anytime in audio quality.

Ninjaman09
08-06-04, 01:49 PM
I ended up going with the Z5300s. Wow. They sound a lot better than the Z560s and they lose NO clarity even with the volume turned down. These are the perfect speakers, IMO.

ynnek
08-06-04, 07:11 PM
I've read so many good things about the Z640's

BUT, when I got them, I was majorly disappointed... the Subwoofer that comes with the system does sound "matched".. actually it just sounds bad.. Its loud and boomy.. Not clear at all.. My AL 2.1 speakers that came with my Dell sounds tons better.. So I use the AL 2.1 up front, and the Logitech Z640's for center and rear...

Cota
08-06-04, 08:26 PM
Since you have soundstorm you may want to invest in a cheap dolby digital home theather.

Analog output from the asus is nice, but digital out is awesome.

superklye
08-07-04, 12:02 AM
Z640s Rock!
I have a set and I love them.
I only have a live5.1 and the speakers are really amazing for what they are.
They own me! :nanahump:

that's my setup exactly and i couldn't agree more!

jAkUp
08-07-04, 12:20 AM
I would go with the z 560s... I have them, and they are absolutely awesome :)