PDA

View Full Version : Doom 3 Performance Boost by changing cache size!?!

jimmyjames123
08-03-04, 04:13 PM
Doom 3 Performance Boost by changing cache size mentioned here:

http://www.forumplanet.com/planetdoom/topic.asp?fid=5733&tid=1438663

Zips
08-03-04, 05:03 PM
Yeah... it's also mentioned in the console commands topic here.

I did do this last night and there IS a nice increase in FPS. Not only that but the higher FPS remain constant and have very little fluctuations.

kahloq
08-03-04, 05:16 PM
How far did you guys up yours too from the initial setting? That link says find the line that has that image_cache "32". When I looked at the file, mine said "20" I backup the file of course and then changed it to 256. Gonna check it now see if theres a difference.

superklye
08-03-04, 05:19 PM
God, I hope this does something for me. THe game was running awesome at 1152x864 at medium and now it's unplayable at 800x600 medium...i dunno what happened. :(

CaptNKILL
08-03-04, 05:26 PM
God, I hope this does something for me. THe game was running awesome at 1152x864 at medium and now it's unplayable at 800x600 medium...i dunno what happened. :(
Damn, thats not right at all. Your system should run it at 1280x1024 High easy...

Kamel
08-03-04, 05:32 PM
i need more information on this, but i honestly think it's the placebo effect... as image caching is turned off by default (therefore setting the size should be irrelevant). i'll look into it, can't view the post right now because they say it's down for technical problems =\

Zips
08-03-04, 05:50 PM
i need more information on this, but i honestly think it's the placebo effect... as image caching is turned off by default (therefore setting the size should be irrelevant). i'll look into it, can't view the post right now because they say it's down for technical problems =\
If the placebo effect is making areas run smooth after the update comapred to before when the same exact areas had a very noticable frame rate drop, then placebo me up.

I changed mine from "20" to "256" and it definately resulted in a smoother gameplay experience for me.

Kamel
08-03-04, 05:50 PM
hmm, i did a lot of tests with my comp and i actually found that i think it performs best (by small margins) in the default of 20... maybe there is something i'm missing here or something. tried with 20, 96, 128, 256, and 512. the difference was nominal, but it seemed to get hitching when loading different parts of the map in higher settings -- this could just be irony though.

edit: btw, i'm not saying these people are lying etc, i just want to know what's happening, lol.

|JuiceZ|
08-03-04, 06:00 PM
I changed mine from "20" to "256" and it definately resulted in a smoother gameplay experience for me.

:thumbsup:

Sazar
08-03-04, 06:59 PM
I changed mine from 20 - 96... not a noticeable improvement but my mins seem to be a little higher... I'll stick it to 256 later and give it a go...

pigfukerd
08-03-04, 08:10 PM
I got a huge improvement by changing it from 20 to 128. Then I changed to 256, and seemed to get even more. Honestly, I what was to me almost unbearable framrates at 1024x768 at medium setting with 4x antiscopic, to playing at 1280X1024 on high settings with 4x as, and the game runs way better now, at this res with high settings, than it did at 1024 with medium setting. Honestly, my comp now seems to run doom3 better than it does paikiller (which is something i only finished a couple days ago, so its still fresh in my mind).

My specs are as follows:

Radeon 9700pro
Athlon 2400+
512MB pc2700
Epox kt600
Sblive!

I noticed abosolutely no wierd performance drops, or happenings in any part of the game when I upped the settings. All I got was a hughe boost, and a great feeling of joy because I can now play doom 3 and have it run extremely well (way beyond any expectations I had with my rig). LMAO, its like I honestly can't believe its my comp running this game this way. Thnx a bunch to whoever figured out this little tweak. :headbang: This game was running lik utter **** before I changed this. In fact, it was making me nauseous because of all of the stuttering and jerking. I am certainly a happy camper now.

kahloq
08-03-04, 09:48 PM
If the placebo effect is making areas run smooth after the update comapred to before when the same exact areas had a very noticable frame rate drop, then placebo me up.

Same result here much better for me and placed it at 256

Kamel
08-03-04, 10:08 PM
maybe i am cpu limited or something. i did the time demo with the setting at the default of 20 then 256 (made sure it was set properly also), 3 times each.. here's what i got.

set to 20:

set to 256:

i also got higher scores than before... i think maybe in my previous benches i had some background processes running or something.

maybe also it has something to do with my video card overclock? i may have it a bit too high, but so far i haven't had any crashes or artifacts.

superklye
08-03-04, 11:00 PM
maybe i am cpu limited or something. i did the time demo with the setting at the default of 20 then 256 (made sure it was set properly also), 3 times each.. here's what i got.

set to 20:

set to 256:

i also got higher scores than before... i think maybe in my previous benches i had some background processes running or something.

maybe also it has something to do with my video card overclock? i may have it a bit too high, but so far i haven't had any crashes or artifacts.

I thought people here or at ForumPlanet said that the changes had no effect on the time demos?

I upped the cache to 128 I believe and I noticed some improvement. I'm going out of town in the morning and won't be back until Sunday, so I'll up to it 256 then.

And as someone earlier said: I SHOULD be able to be at 1280x1024 at High, but the game ran so crappy that I cried. It is so frustrating trying to get this game running because the only way you can tell is by running the actual game, which takes 2+ minutes to load on my machine. Then, to make any changes, I have to exit and do it all over. It. Is. So. Effing. Frustrating!!

nvnews-reader
08-04-04, 12:27 AM
I tried a few settings but it didn't improve my performance. I think it might only help people with older gfx cards.

SigmaOrionis
08-04-04, 12:41 AM
What does this setting do?

Does it just precache more of the textures. So you dont get hitches in new parts of the maps?

Kamel
08-04-04, 06:08 AM
I thought people here or at ForumPlanet said that the changes had no effect on the time demos?

I upped the cache to 128 I believe and I noticed some improvement. I'm going out of town in the morning and won't be back until Sunday, so I'll up to it 256 then.

And as someone earlier said: I SHOULD be able to be at 1280x1024 at High, but the game ran so crappy that I cried. It is so frustrating trying to get this game running because the only way you can tell is by running the actual game, which takes 2+ minutes to load on my machine. Then, to make any changes, I have to exit and do it all over. It. Is. So. Effing. Frustrating!!

well, i just used the timedemo for evidence or whatever... while actually playing i noticed little or no difference. i'm just curious if i'm cpu limited now, heh.

and.. i read the posts, i didn't see anything about it not affecting the time demo myself.

majortom
08-04-04, 06:56 AM
i changed it to 256, and it ran even worse. i have a 9800 pro 128M. so im going to switch it to 98 to see if it will help.

kahloq
08-04-04, 10:17 AM
i changed it to 256, and it ran even worse. i have a 9800 pro 128M. so im going to switch it to 98 to see if it will help.

I dont think you can set it above what your vid cards memory actually is. Try 98 see if you get better or even try 128 since thats what your vid card has. Mine is a 256mb card and I set it to 256