PDA

View Full Version : 5950 Heating Problem???

runnerct
08-03-04, 04:53 PM
I have an ASUS V9980 FX 5950 Ultra and I think it’s overheating…when I am playing Painkiller, FryCry or even Knights of Republic my computer will reboot it’s self….either with 5 minutes or 60 minutes…last night when I was playing Painkiller my machine rebooted so I removed the side cover and felt the heat sinks and it was hot to the touch…very hot…I bought my card from Newegg as a refurbish part…but I do not think it’s a bad card…I think it might just run hot…I have two fans in the front of my case sucking air in…two on the back of it sucking air out….one of the side sucking air out….one of the bottom sucking air out and the top has a grill piece of it…now is this too many fans?….go this be hurting the air flow???…. I have a Gigabyte GA-8IK1100 (Rev 2.0) and it has a power connector next to the APG slot which I have power connected to that and the card….is this a problem???? I also have 512MB RAM….SB Live Gamer….and a 600 WATT A Power Power Supply…could this be a problem also???? Any help is thankful…Charlie

anzak
08-03-04, 06:23 PM
I have an ASUS V9980 FX 5950 Ultra and I think it’s overheating…when I am playing Painkiller, FryCry or even Knights of Republic my computer will reboot it’s self….either with 5 minutes or 60 minutes…last night when I was playing Painkiller my machine rebooted so I removed the side cover and felt the heat sinks and it was hot to the touch…very hot…I bought my card from Newegg as a refurbish part…but I do not think it’s a bad card…I think it might just run hot…I have two fans in the front of my case sucking air in…two on the back of it sucking air out….one of the side sucking air out….one of the bottom sucking air out and the top has a grill piece of it…now is this too many fans?….go this be hurting the air flow???…. I have a Gigabyte GA-8IK1100 (Rev 2.0) and it has a power connector next to the APG slot which I have power connected to that and the card….is this a problem???? I also have 512MB RAM….SB Live Gamer….and a 600 WATT A Power Power Supply…could this be a problem also???? Any help is thankful…Charlie

I really doubt it's heating issues, check the temps in the driver CP. Anywho, side case fans should always be intakes. Do you have anything else on the PSU line going to the video card? If so try removing the other stuff to give it a "clean" line. Is your processor overclocked? Try bringing it down to it's default speed.

runnerct
08-03-04, 08:22 PM
My temp right now through the driver CU is 53C...my cpu is not overclocked but I will check to make sure that my 5950 has direct power from the PSU and try to run a game and see if it reboots thanks

runnerct
08-03-04, 09:10 PM
Well I did everything you said....put direct power into the card and APG slot....and made sure the back fans were blowing air out....but after playing Painkiller for 10 mintues...when I tried to quit it rebooted again....driver CU is 53C when I first started palying and when it rebooted it just went up to 54C...do you think it might be the PSU giving out dirty power....should I get a new PSU?? and if you think so what do you recommand????

Thanks

anzak
08-03-04, 10:04 PM
hmm, 54c is a little warm but nothing out of control. I would reccomend you RMA and get a Geforce 6800nu, it's faster and cost less, less than that 5950 referb.

runnerct
08-04-04, 07:14 AM
I just took out the 5950 and put in my Gefore 4 ti4600...going to see if that reboots when I am playing Painkiller tonight if it doesn't reboot I will send back the 5950 thanks for your help

runnerct
08-04-04, 09:50 AM
Well I contacted Newegg about the card and they won't RMA because it's over 15 days...so I have contacted ASUS who makes the card through their helpdesk page and see if they can help me....man this sucks