PDA

View Full Version : Antec P160 incompatible with 6800 Ultra DVI connectors

doobie
08-03-04, 08:00 PM
Here's a fun fact: Got my BFG 6800 Ultra OC today and installed the card in my Antec P160 with no problems until I tried to attach the DVI-VGA adapter. The adapter won't attach to the back of the card because the brilliant case designers didn't leave enough clearance at the rear of the case around the AGP slot. I took a pair of tin snips and did a little surgery on the part of the case that prevented the adapter from attaching to the DVI port, got everything running and it's just peachy now (except for the 2.5" fold of metal that I'll have to Dremel off next time I have everything out of the case). :retard: Just wanted to give you guys a heads-up if you have an Ultra coming and use the Antec P160.

Note: This incompatibility only exists if your video card's connectors stick out of the top slot at the rear of the case. Due to the location of the AGP slot on the Asus P4P800, you have to use the first slot at the rear of the case and there is a fold of metal there that prevents the DVI-VGA adapter from connecting to your vid card. If your motherboard's AGP slot lines up with the second rear slot, you're fine.

Now back to Doom 3. :kar:

doobie

PerfectCr
08-03-04, 08:54 PM
Film at 11.

Fatman
08-03-04, 11:42 PM
Hmm, I have a P160 and no beef with connectors. What gives? You sure you got everything hooked up properly?

Smurfie
08-04-04, 12:17 AM
I've got the same problem, Antec P160 and a FX5900XT. Not enough clearance to fit a DVI connector. Even the 15pin d-sub connector is a tight squeeze.

What I did in the end, was to use a metal cutter, cut off about 1/4 inch off the plate, and filed it smooth. It's a hack job, but I don't worry about stressing the connector now.

jsn117
08-04-04, 03:38 AM
p160 / 6800GT with no problems

doobie
08-04-04, 09:43 AM
For those not having problems, do your vid card connectors stick out of the 1st or 2nd slot on the rear of the case? The location of my P4P800's AGP slot makes me use the 1st rear slot, which makes it impossible (without cutting) to install the DVI-VGA adapter. If you're using the 2nd slot, it shouldn't pose a problem.

doobie

GravY
08-04-04, 10:00 AM
loosen your card up and when tightening back down hold the card down, don't over tighten.. those thumb screws tend to push the card up thus giving you a clearance problem..

doobie
08-04-04, 12:43 PM
Tried that. I actually removed the Ultra from the slot, lined it up with the opening at the back, stuck the DVI-VGA adapter on, and tried to put the card back in the AGP slot. I could have done it, but it would have warped the back half of the card pretty bad and I didn't want the DVI connector to suddenly snap off one day. The adapter is just too big to use in the top slot. :argh: I'll take a pic of it and post it in the next couple of days. Right now it looks pretty bad, but I can tidy it up with a Dremel the next time I have everything out of the case.

doobie

Ninjaman09
08-04-04, 01:19 PM
I had this same problem with my old Ti 4600 only with the VGA connector. However, for some reason, there's plenty of room for the VGA connector on my 6800 GT. Weird, but I know where you're coming from.