PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to get doom3 quality lighting in FarCry?

Intel17
08-03-04, 09:13 PM
Is it possible to get doom3 quality lighting in FarCry? I mean the engine supports real time lighting and shadow volumes, the lightsources arent unified but, is there a way to make it so everything casts a shadow and all lightsources are dynamic?

FarCry's lighting looks really good, but is it possible to get Doom3 quality lighting/shadowing.

What I mean is, could take a map in FarCry and make it so that it casts all the shadows, and have all the dynamic lights as well?

Thanks so much!

-=DVS=-
08-03-04, 10:22 PM
Sure its possible if you want to play in slide show ;)

superklye
08-03-04, 10:51 PM
it's funny because he asked the same question three times. :) ;)

wures7
08-04-04, 12:32 AM
Yes. It's called the "SUN". :lame:

Actually, I don't know if that can be done by the end-users. It will have to be implemented by the developer but think about the hardware taxing. The lights in Doom 3 were taxing enough.

majortom
08-04-04, 05:01 AM
you can. far cry's engine probably has the capacity to do the same thing as doom. the only difference is, crytek's designers didnt implement them in the game, cause it didnt call for it. far cry is meant to be like a shiny arnold like action movie, while doom 3 was meant to be a horror movie, and their environments reflect that. cry tek wanted to show off its large tropical maps and water :drooling: in the typical gaming fashion, while doom focused on utilizing lighting to create a scary environment, much like a movie.

MontoyaSG
08-04-04, 06:33 AM
guess we'll see improved lighting in farcry patch 1.3

Intel17
08-04-04, 08:10 AM
Ok, so its really a developer thing?

Sweet! CryEngine rocks!

Nv40
08-04-04, 11:17 PM
Ok, so its really a developer thing?

Sweet! CryEngine rocks!

yes.. you can take any level in Doom3 and do it exactly in the Cry engine graphics wise. but you can't do every level of Farcry in Doom3 ...since FArcry have huge outdoors with big forest /amazing water effects and Doom3 have neither of those.(albeit outdoors are possible in D3 with water ,but it will be more dificult to do it in DOom3 since the game doesnt support out of the box them) Doom3 advantage over FArcry might be its unified lighting ,this is very elegant ,and that it also support far more lighting effects (except HDR) ,with very nice particle effects ,and it looks to be superior in character animations and better techniques to raise the level of graphics in their characters.(humans/monters). Engines usually can do more than what you see in their games ,so dont think for a second that you have seen the limits of any engine . But if i were to do a game with heavy FOrest today ,and great water ill will pick FArcry any day over any other game ,and if i were to do a game with lots of lighting and animation effects ill pick Doom3. each game it good in their own way. and each engine is "better" for their style of games. so it depends of the style of the game.

if you want to praise a game engine Unreal3 is a really revolutionary one. can do the best of Farcry and the best of Doom3 and everything will be done with pure DIrectx9 effects ,the way its mean to be played. :D albeit their game is still 2 years ahead ,and by that time Idsoftware will be demostrating their new engine and their progress of their next game ,and we will be dicussing again which one is the best.. :)

Intel17
08-05-04, 05:47 PM
Nevermind.

I'm going to make a map in farcry and see if I can apply dynamic stencil shadows to everything.

Intel17
08-06-04, 12:58 AM
I cant wait to see the next CryEngine :)

stncttr908
08-06-04, 10:49 AM
I cant wait to see the next CryEngine :)
**** that, I'll take another game using this one. :D

Intel17
08-06-04, 08:44 PM
Any game made on the current cryengine + real time lighting (its an option in the engine so its perfectly possible)+ using offset mapping (also in the engine) and HDR, would easily rival Unreal engine 3 games...think about that :)

killahsin
08-07-04, 02:05 AM
unreal 3 uses raytracing on their normal maps. Sometimes people don't understand that what sounds like the same tech isn't always quite the same tech. No current far cry engine based game is going to look like unreal 3 based games.

Yes far cry was ahead of its time. But give it a rest already

Helanic Frost
08-07-04, 08:52 PM
yes.. you can take any level in Doom3 and do it exactly in the Cry engine graphics wise. but you can't do every level of Farcry in Doom3 ...since FArcry have huge outdoors with big forest /amazing water effects and Doom3 have neither of those.(albeit outdoors are possible in D3 with water ,but it will be more dificult to do it in DOom3 since the game doesnt support out of the box them) Doom3 advantage over FArcry might be its unified lighting ,this is very elegant ,and that it also support far more lighting effects (except HDR) ,with very nice particle effects ,and it looks to be superior in character animations and better techniques to raise the level of graphics in their characters.(humans/monters). Engines usually can do more than what you see in their games ,so dont think for a second that you have seen the limits of any engine . But if i were to do a game with heavy FOrest today ,and great water ill will pick FArcry any day over any other game ,and if i were to do a game with lots of lighting and animation effects ill pick Doom3. each game it good in their own way. and each engine is "better" for their style of games. so it depends of the style of the game.

if you want to praise a game engine Unreal3 is a really revolutionary one. can do the best of Farcry and the best of Doom3 and everything will be done with pure DIrectx9 effects ,the way its mean to be played. :D albeit their game is still 2 years ahead ,and by that time Idsoftware will be demostrating their new engine and their progress of their next game ,and we will be dicussing again which one is the best.. :)

I'm not a fan of Direct X and never really have liked it. I loved Glide but it had it's limitations. OpenGL is where it's at imo, only lazy game designers use DX. OpenGL has sooooo much better performance.

Intel17
08-07-04, 09:13 PM
Well when the best rendering engine programmer in the world uses OpenGL exclusively and gets his stuff which visually and technically best what is on the market, to run well on the minnimum requirements, it tells you that OpenGL + Carmack genius= teh win.

Anyone can make a good looking engine... Not anyone can make a good looking engine that runs fantastically :)