PDA

View Full Version : Far Cry vs. Doom 3 graphics

Pages : [1] 2 3

jAkUp
08-03-04, 10:35 PM
I know they are different in their own ways... etc. But which do you think has overall better graphics? I still cannot decide... I think they both look good in their own ways.

Sazar
08-03-04, 10:46 PM
both are good in their own rights... but crytek out of nowhere produced far cry and made it the best looking game I have ever played...

doom 3 after about 4 odd years of development was EXPECTED to have stellar graphics and I for one have felt let-down by the whole experience... that said doom 3 imo is probably one of the best atmospheric games out there... and certainly (along with the thief and splinter cell games) one of the darkest...

Zips
08-03-04, 10:50 PM
Just in terms of graphics?

... Dynamic lighting and shadows are done far better in Doom 3 than in Far Cry.

Far Cry seems to have higher resolution textures however, but the low res textures aren't really noticable in Doom 3 with everything else going on.

I'm going to have to say Doom 3 > Far Cry here.

Clay
08-03-04, 10:52 PM
but crytek out of nowhere produced far cry and made it the best looking game I have ever played...

doom 3 after about 4 odd years of development was EXPECTED to have stellar graphics...Read your history man, Crytek hardly came out of nowhere (http://www.nvidia.com/object/dinoisle.html)...they've arguably been working on Far Cry (CryENGINE™) (http://www.crytek.com/inside_crytek/index.php?s=co) longer than id has with Doom 3. :D

OWA
08-03-04, 11:00 PM
During gameplay, Doom 3. For screenshots, probably Far Cry.

:)

Sazar
08-03-04, 11:02 PM
Read your history man, Crytek hardly came out of nowhere (http://www.nvidia.com/object/dinoisle.html)...they've arguably been working on Far Cry (CryENGINE™) (http://www.crytek.com/inside_crytek/index.php?s=co) longer than id has with Doom 3. :D

how long did they develop Far Cry ?

Clay
08-03-04, 11:04 PM
how long did they develop Far Cry ?
I don't know. But Far Cry has its roots in the CryENGINE which has been in development in one form or another since late 1998/early 1999.

Son Goku
08-03-04, 11:04 PM
I would have to look back, but I had a Crytek demo on my HD since about the GF2 GTS days... Not sure if the file is still there from which I could grab a date stamp...

UDawg
08-03-04, 11:06 PM
That demo came out when the gf3 came out if I am not mistaken.

FarCry is my type of game. Doom 3 will be fun when I get my rig up and running but I am a huge HL fan so you can guess what I have been waiting for. Any game that has a gun that can pick up a fridge and throw it at a zombie has gots to be the shizzles.

superklye
I don't know. But Far Cry has its roots in the CryENGINE which has been in development in one form or another since late 1998/early 1999.

yeah but still...i had never heard of them until well after FC had been released. Hell, for like 2 or 3 months after FC was released I had no idea who they were or what FC was.

I kept thinking it was some lame Justin Timberlake song or something

Intel17
FarCry.

Clay
08-03-04, 11:08 PM
yeah but still...i had never heard of them until well after FC had been released. Hell, for like 2 or 3 months after FC was released I had no idea who they were or what FC was.

I kept thinking it was some lame Justin Timberlake song or something
Others knew about Far Cry for longer than you or I did I'm sure though. id Software has a proven/glowing track record and so it's only natural for them to be in the spotlight from day one for each game they work on. Crytek was unproven, X-Isle never materialized, etc...again, only natural for them to fly low on radar.

Intel17
08-03-04, 11:10 PM
I think FarCry has the superior technology (3Dc, HDR, SM3.0, Offset mapping, Bumpmapping) and Doom3 has the better atmosphere, and artists for that matter, but apparently they like low rez textures. :lame:

superklye
08-03-04, 11:10 PM
Others knew about Far Cry for longer than you or I did I'm sure though. id Software has a proven/glowing track record and so it's only natural for them to be in the spotlight from day one for each game they work on. Crytek was unproven, X-Isle never materialized, etc...again, only natural for them to fly low on radar.

well yeah, that's what i meant and i think that's what the original post meant: some were aware, but Crytek had nowhere near the attention and power behind its name as id did/does. they were a relatively unknown underdog and came out with guns a-blazing.

Clay
08-03-04, 11:12 PM
well yeah, that's what i meant and i think that's what the original post meant: some were aware, but Crytek had nowhere near the attention and power behind its name as id did/does. they were a relatively unknown underdog and came out with guns a-blazing.
True, I see what you (and Sazar were saying). What I was saying is that there's a difference in isolated personal perception and fact. But sure, the consensus would definitely show id Software being more well known than Crytek. :)

Son Goku
08-03-04, 11:12 PM
I can't find the demo on my HD anymore. Must have cleaned it outa my users directory sometime back. But I do have an email, where I sent some screenshots of it to a friend. The date stamp on the email is Tuesday, December 11, 2001 7:18 PM

anzak
08-03-04, 11:17 PM
Hmm, well if this is a matter of "quality" and "polish" then Doom 3 wins it in my book. When it comes down to engines I would really like to do the huge outdoor enviroments with full per pixel lighting done on the Doom 3 engine at a good speed. Im waiting for the demo before I pick up Doom 3 since im not a big fan of "run an gun" first person shooters.

Clay
08-03-04, 11:20 PM
Im waiting for the demo before I pick up Doom 3 since im not a big fan of "run an gun" first person shooters.Doom 3 is hardly "run and gun". It's more like...creep around "WHAT THE CRAP WAS THAT???"...turn corner..."HOLY CRAP!!!"....

/me tinkles me trousers

creep around some more...blast the crap out of a zombie, demon or two...creep around...change trousers..."HOLY CRAP!!!!"....etc, etc

:afro:

superklye
08-03-04, 11:21 PM
Doom 3 is hardly "run and gun". It's more like...creep around "WHAT THE CRAP WAS THAT???"...turn corner..."HOLY CRAP!!!"....

/me tinkles me trousers

creep around some more...blast the crap out of a zombie, demon or two...creep around...change trousers..."HOLY CRAP!!!!"....etc, etc

:afro:

hahahaha...yeah, definitely. There are a ton of "oh jesus!" moments.

in fact, this whole game is one big "oh jesus" moment. ugh. it is freakin' scary.

WeReWoLf
Well i can't pass judgement yet, seeing as i have yet to play it, but comparing to what i have seen, i'd have to say doom 3. BTW Anzak, Cool Avatar... lol

Intel17
How can you all be voting for doom? FarCry uses wayy more advanced tech...unless you guys mean the art?

WeReWoLf
08-03-04, 11:27 PM
It might use more advanced Tech, but look where Doom 3 gets without it. Now just please drop the whole "crap textures" thing, coz i'm pretty sure that there is a few people out there that are getting quite sick of it.

Clay
08-03-04, 11:29 PM
How can you all be voting for doom? FarCry uses wayy more advanced tech...unless you guys mean the art?
Everyone is fully aware of your take by now. Please give it a rest, you've become a broken record and it just seems like you are spamming.

ynnek
08-03-04, 11:56 PM
Uh... FarCry does not have 3Dc, HDR, or SM3.0.... yet at least. :rolleyes:

I think FarCry has the superior technology (3Dc, HDR, SM3.0, Offset mapping, Bumpmapping) and Doom3 has the better atmosphere, and artists for that matter, but apparently they like low rez textures. :lame:

UDawg
08-03-04, 11:58 PM

I had been following FC at least a year before it was out.