PDA

View Full Version : How to purposely delay desktop after logon screen...

ajm786
08-04-04, 10:09 PM
Here is the scenario:

I have 3 accounts on my WinXP Pro machine. I would like to know if there is a way, for one of the accounts, to delay showing the actual desktop after logging in (entering password). This is to prevent access to programs that depend on services that may not have started yet. I'm sorta getting sick and tired of the errors in the Event Log.

Thanks.

Son Goku
08-05-04, 12:24 AM
There might be. For user accounts, in that account it would be in the registry under the hive H_Key_current_user

I know there's an item for MenuShowDelay, or something like that... Found that a long time back in NT 4...and actually cut the time below default :D About the only thing I could think off the top of my head is if there's a seperate value in there for a desktop show delay... Haven't searched the registry for this however...

There are a couple StartupDelay values (but no mention of display desktop) in the registry, but I couldn't say what they are without documentation. For obvious reasons, one shouldn't just go editing the registry, unless they know what the value they're editing is for/does ;)