PDA

View Full Version : Super Ultra Quality Mode Tweak...

jAkUp
08-05-04, 11:03 AM
Did anyone try this yet?
http://www.quake3world.com/ubb/Forum9/HTML/000249.html

schuey74
08-05-04, 11:17 AM
Nope, haven't tried it yet, but you can bet your a$$ I will when I get home! It appears that was has been done is to change the minimum rez on textures from 256 to 1024 via the config file. The difference in those pics is quite noticable and probably worth it on high end hardware.

Kamel
08-05-04, 11:22 AM
hmm, i wonder exactly what he did... i will most definitely figure it out and report :D

cam9786
08-05-04, 12:05 PM
Is this the same one I posted? I'll check it out.

Vash
08-05-04, 12:10 PM
Sweet, I'm gonna watch my machine beg for mercy when I get home. :firedevil

cam9786
08-05-04, 12:12 PM
I posted something of the like, Ultra Extreme Quality mod, Don't know the diff between that and this one, I'll check.

Kamel
08-05-04, 12:18 PM
hmm, might not want to get your hopes up too high, i did this and noticed no quality difference :( did a lot of testing to figure it out and why also.

the extreme quality mod enabled self shadows, but they looked very blocky (because of the geometry being low on the characters), so IMO it looked like ass in most situations. screenshot of the ultra extreme quality mod here (taken by me):

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/8076/d3ueqm.th.jpg (http://img43.imageshack.us/my.php?loc=img43&image=d3ueqm.jpg)

Kamel
08-05-04, 12:30 PM
i am working on a config for enabling this; one that doesn't entirely re-write your config, only the parts that count. can someone try using my config to tell me if the image quality gets boosted or not?

note: to use this, simply put it in your base folder of your doom3 install.

edit: i didn't notice they didn't permit .cfg file types, remove the .txt off of the end to use.

Barrok
08-05-04, 12:37 PM
Where is your config located?

edit: Nm you just posted it :)

Kamel
08-05-04, 12:50 PM
i've noticed the easiest way to tell is by doing give all in the console then switching to the rocket launcher and seeing if you can read the 300x target text... however, i've yet to figure out what's going on (i think maybe i may have enabled this already and didn't know)

Barrok
08-05-04, 12:53 PM
This is what is in your cfg file

seta r_forceloadimages 1
seta image_useprecompressedtextures 1
seta image_rounddown 1
seta image_downSizelimit 1024
seta image_downSizebumplimit 1024

Can you explain what the top 3 do and why that would help change things? I understand ID left alot that can be tinkered with, but how will changing those settings effect our graphics quality?

Kamel
08-05-04, 01:13 PM
i don't know, i'm only doing a comparison between my config and the config he used... i wanted to know if i got the commands right that he changed; nothing special. i can look up the commands and what they do if you like, i may have confused that config as well.

uhmmm, i also just did a lot of testing and with default config, just clicking on high quality, setting the resolution to 1280x1024 the game looks identical to the after shots they posted. this makes me wonder if what he's doing is just simply changing to ultra quality mode using the cvars, or if he has actually done something.

uhmmm i really am not sure; maybe it's just my video card that looks the same on both settings *shrugs*.

Kamel
08-05-04, 01:16 PM
yea, i screwed that config up... that was one of the configs i'd used to test the differences. try this seta image_rounddown 0

analogmaster
08-05-04, 03:13 PM
the config from the quake3net forum is not downloadable... can some1 plz upp it on webspace and link it down here?

also what is now with you config kamel?

usable or screwed?

Intel17
08-05-04, 03:50 PM
Well I tweaked it to look like that the first day i got the game, it looks incredible... :drooling: :drooling: :drooling: if anyone wants my config, PM me

Kamel
08-05-04, 03:59 PM
here's a usable config that should emulate the settings posted on that board. it certainly wont hurt your settings, it just might not have the full effect. if it does not work, just write back saying so and i'll investigate the other changes; maybe i missed something.

analogmaster
08-05-04, 09:02 PM
i have another modded .cfg.

basically it is mased on the latest modding from the guy from the linked forum in the first post...

i just added a few more features adn enhanced the cache parameters sum more...

added features:

-added 3rd person view (toggle ingame with "p")
-added player shadow
-enhanced cached mem to 384mb (works fine on 1gig machines, reduce it to the half on 512mb machines)
-enhanced cachemink to 30720 (reduce to 20480 on 512mb)

right mouse -- save under --> remove .jpg

additinal modded .cfg (incl. 3rd person view and playershadow) (http://img65.exs.cx/img65/2815/DoomConfigcfg.jpg)

works very fine for me (6800Ultra GS @430/1200) and texture look a lot more detailed and finer and stuttering probs are reduced to minimum...

maybe some1 can do more mods to it!?

well, check it out.......

FierceDeityLink
08-05-04, 09:25 PM
Wait, shouldn't rounddown be 0 to preserve texture quality?

Kamel
08-05-04, 09:36 PM
Wait, shouldn't rounddown be 0 to preserve texture quality?
yes

CaptNKILL
08-05-04, 11:11 PM
Guys, these tweaks arent anything REAL new.
http://www.viperlair.com/articles/howto/software/tweakd3/

That tweak guide was linked on the nVnews main page on the 4th... when i got the game yesterday I used the tweaks there and the game has been running and looking amazing :D

Looking at some of the compairison screens, im glad i tweaked before i played, some of the gun textures look pretty bad before this tweak. After it though, they are very nice :D

I just wish i had another 512Mb of RAM :D

analogmaster
08-06-04, 03:15 AM
ofc the tweaks are not so new :rolleyes:

but here u have a bunch of tweaks already made into 1 .cfg u just have to copy :retard: