PDA

View Full Version : Doom 3 clicking sound

atomicrc11
08-05-04, 01:09 PM
Hey guys. I've been playing the game for quite a few hours so far. Today I noticed this clicking noise when I walk. It's every step and sometimes skips a step. It happens in all levels and it is really getting annoying. I have a Audigy sound card but it happens when I also run on the realtek AC'97 built in audio. I'm running in a 5.1 speaker set up. Is it supposed to happen? If it does, I'm giving up on the game right now!

Kamel
08-05-04, 01:24 PM
no idea about that, but i have heard of audio problems being solved by turning down your hardware acceleration on your card

atomicrc11
08-05-04, 01:49 PM
I tried turning down the acceleration and that didn't do anything. :(

Kamel
08-05-04, 02:25 PM
to answer your question more specifically, i do not hear any clicking sounds, heh.

schuey74
08-05-04, 02:49 PM
Try killing as many things as you can that reside in your system tray. With ATItool open, 5.1 either won't work at all or has horrible clicking sounds, with it closed it works absolutely perfect. God only knows how a video card tweaker in your tray can fudge your sound, but it definetely does!

brock1234
11-08-04, 07:32 PM
I have the exact same issue. It is terribly annoying and like you said only happens when you walk. I have given up on the game (it is that annoying) until I find some info regarding this. See pc specs below:

Intel P4 @3.4 W/HT
2 gig DDR memory @ 400mhz
Audigy 2 w/ creative 5.1 surround speakers
GIGABYTE 6800gt
Antec 380 watt true power

I have since found a solution...first off you will need a program that can read the .pk4 doom extension. I used pk4scape which i was able to find a free download for. Next you need to navigate to the doom3 directory (by default under program files). Open the "Base" folder (using pk4scape; NOTEPAD OR ANY OTHER PROGRAM WILL LOCK UP). Now open the "pak003.pk4" folder. From there this is the next file path to follow: \sound\ed\player\steps. Finally, delete the "step10.ogg" file.

This solved the problem for me. I did not experience any adverse side affects or other loss from deleting the file. I definitely do not believe this is a hardware issue (or lack thereof as you can see from my setup). Hope this was helpful :)

atomicrc11
12-03-04, 10:03 AM
yeah, it turns out it's your shoes clicking on the metal. it kills me, so I will just have to delete that .ogg file.