PDA

View Full Version : Getting in the Doom "Mode"

Barrok
08-05-04, 03:14 PM
Last night after I turned off the lights and plopped on the headphones, ready to tackle another frantic night of doom3, I wondered "Am I the only person foolish enough to try and intentionally freak my self out? Are there others out there that get in the doom "mode" like ID wants us too, just to get the crap scared out of us?" Anyway, that was my thought and now I would like to find out from you, my fellow gamers! Do you get in the doom "mode"!

Kamel
08-05-04, 03:40 PM
lmao, i've done tons of things... the biggest one being turning on the DSP on my sound card to sound like it's in the sewer... i'm no fan of DSP normally, but this fits the game better than the default sounds IMO. i also spent about an hour trying to tune my surround sound to be perfectly positioned. the echoing of the sewer really gets me though; without it, i wouldn't be nearly as scared of the game (it makes small sounds ambiguous, so you say "what was that?!" i often think of regular environment sounds as someone being around the corner, then there's nothing there. really gives it nice touch of the feeling of thinking the smallest sounds are something of great significance.

Barrok
08-05-04, 03:45 PM
lmao, i've done tons of things... the biggest one being turning on the DSP on my sound card to sound like it's in the sewer... i'm no fan of DSP normally, but this fits the game better than the default sounds IMO. i also spent about an hour trying to tune my surround sound to be perfectly positioned. the echoing of the sewer really gets me though; without it, i wouldn't be nearly as scared of the game (it makes small sounds ambiguous, so you say "what was that?!" i often think of regular environment sounds as someone being around the corner, then there's nothing there. really gives it nice touch of the feeling of thinking the smallest sounds are something of great significance.

I agree about the small sounds making a huge difference! I dont have dsp but the sounds freak me out more than anything! Going into the room, having it turn red on you, then listening to a lady yell about taking her baby... that drove me nuts!! I have never sworn so much in such small periods of time as I have playing this game :retard:

thunderhippo
08-05-04, 04:53 PM
a bottle of wine, a fat sack, a comfy chair and no lights...

PerfectCr
08-05-04, 06:35 PM
I think you mean "Mood", not "Mode"

WeReWoLf
08-05-04, 06:37 PM
I damn near Sh#t myself everytime i play it.

Barrok
08-05-04, 06:38 PM
Negative, I was debating mode or mood, but I considered it a mode. There is a mood that comes from the mode though! Does lance prepare for the tour de france by getting in a bike "mood" or getting in the mode! Its all about the mode baby!

Kamel
08-05-04, 08:05 PM
i'm thinking about buying a package of depends to help me get in the doom3 mode :P

and i do think he meant mode, as in changing your surroundings or whatever to a different "mode" in order to experience an enhanced version of the game... though a mood would come in as a result.

Yukanojo
08-06-04, 12:10 AM
The first thing I do after playing the game for about 15 minutes is make sure I've whiped all of the poop out of my pants.

Pandora's Box
08-06-04, 12:30 AM
tmi dude! T M I. lol

WeReWoLf
08-06-04, 12:51 AM
Oh. Dear. God... *regurgitates his lunch from previous said actions* That's just wrong dude... Never tell people you shovel sh#t...

Ludic
08-06-04, 01:15 AM
I like the fact that this game can freak me out. Luckily I haven't had any nightmares about it, because when I was younger, horror movies would do that to me. But I guess now at 24 I can handle it. =)