PDA

View Full Version : 3rd party cooling for Nforce3 250Gb?

lytalbayre
08-05-04, 05:34 PM
All,

I have a msi K8N Neo Nforce 3 250Gb motherboard.

This board is great, but the nforce 3 chip position is awkward. Bottom right below the graphics card and to the right of the pci slots.

The problem is the stock cooler is pretty small (and passive) and gets really hot!!! More hot than anything else on that board! And, because of the awkward position of the chipset near the graphics card, the height and size of the cooler must remain short and small.

Enter the Zalman ZM-NB47J. This is slightly rectangular and has a narrow base so I am thinking I can install this on the chipset (More towards the lower side, freeing up room for the graphics card on the upper end).

My worry is that the base of this zalman heatsink is at best 2/3 the surface area of the chipset, even though the brackets will fit the mounting holes just fine. and also, to be able to fit it, I will be positioning it on the lower end of the chipset. Will this allow overheating of the upper edge of the chipset or will it do an acceptable job cooling??

Do you all have an opinion on how (or if) this cooler will work? Looking for some feedback.

Thanks all.

Viral
08-07-04, 02:11 AM
Get this

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/vaic4vgaco.html

Very good for a chipset cooler.. it's enough for a 9800pro so it should do more than fine. I have one but I have nothing to use it on yet ;p I bought it and sold my motherboard before i could use it.