PDA

View Full Version : Carmack: I'm proud of it.

Woodelf
08-05-04, 07:54 PM
"I am extremely proud of Doom 3. I think it is the best game we have ever made, and it exceeded all of my expectations. That is a rather trite phrase, but it is literally true -- I had a good set of expectations for how the game would turn out based on the technologies that it was built on, and it wound up being just plain better than that.

We think a lot of people will like it.

I don't follow gaming message boards, because, at its best, entertainment is going to be a subjective thing that can't win for everyone, while at worst, a particular game just becomes a random symbol for petty tribal behavior. This slashdot story is about as close as I want to go...

Amidst all the various Doom ports and expansions, we are starting up on our next game. It will have a new rendering engine, which will be keeping me busy for a while, but the only other thing we are saying for now is that it won't be a sequel to any of our previous work. We have a really solid team that did a lot of maturing through Doom's development, so I have high hopes that it won't be another four year odyssey.

John Carmack"

http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=116699&cid=9876672

WeReWoLf
08-05-04, 07:57 PM
Lets hope that the new game isn't a 4 yr dev time. I wanna play new id game soon after finishing doom 3 and HL2 and Evil Genius.

majortom
08-05-04, 07:58 PM
dont worry, quake 4 and wolfenstein is coming out soon. and hopefully soldier of fortune 3

SH64
08-05-04, 08:07 PM
He should be proud of it & i'm proud to see people like Carmack , Tim Sweeny & Cevat Yerli who makes great engines & games while we are sitting here nagging about low textrues here & low performance there .

CaptNKILL
08-05-04, 08:21 PM
Hah, he better be proud of Doom 3... hell, im proud that i own it :D

WeReWoLf
08-05-04, 08:24 PM
I find it extremely frustrating to hear about people whining about "low textures this, and low performance that, and it's not taxing my system enough to be good..." and whatnot. What they obviously can't understand is that this game is absolutely revolutionary... What game offers true 5.1 surround rendered via ur CPU? none. Many have tried, but failed. What game nowadays offers sheer graphics bliss even on extremely old hardware? None, unless you happen to find a copy of Quake II or III in a bargain bin. (Also excellent id games) What game offers so much more to it's modding community? Please don't say HL2, because it's not released and we don't know yet. So the devs made a few miniscule decisions that deride from your "ultimate game" where everything is absolutely perfect. There is no game in the world that is absolutely perfect. Not even the really good ones. Does that make them crap? I think not. Kudos to Carmack for making the best ever engine, and kudos to the rest of the team at id for making Doom 3 the most immersive game ever made.

Intel17
08-05-04, 08:29 PM
I find it extremely frustrating to hear about people whining about "low textures this, and low performance that, and it's not taxing my system enough to be good..." and whatnot. What they obviously can't understand is that this game is absolutely revolutionary... What game offers true 5.1 surround rendered via ur CPU? none. Many have tried, but failed. What game nowadays offers sheer graphics bliss even on extremely old hardware? None, unless you happen to find a copy of Quake II or III in a bargain bin. (Also excellent id games) What game offers so much more to it's modding community? Please don't say HL2, because it's not released and we don't know yet. So the devs made a few miniscule decisions that deride from your "ultimate game" where everything is absolutely perfect. There is no game in the world that is absolutely perfect. Not even the really good ones. Does that make them crap? I think not. Kudos to Carmack for making the best ever engine, and kudos to the rest of the team at id for making Doom 3 the most immersive game ever made.

Quoted for the 150% truth

Kamel
08-05-04, 08:40 PM
eh, they did a great job on the engine and look of the game. i'm sure many of you know i'm a d3 addict by looking at the forums, lol... but i honestly think they could have done better on texturing and geometry.

despite the fact that i say they could have done better on them, i am very pleased with this game and love it. i also understand that no one/thing is perfect... but just because of that, i will not ignore the fact that they shot themselves in the foot with bad texture resolution and poly counts. not to mention that with texture compression, little quality is lost, so they could have included high resolution textures using compression at the least, and it would have ran the same as ultra quality mode does now; yet look a lot better.

CaptNKILL
08-05-04, 08:42 PM

I totaly agree. This game is AMAZING. Im never this impressed with first person shooters. I'll admit it seems a lot like the other single player FPSs ive played over the past few years (Elite Force 2's gameplay is extremely close to Doom 3's) but theres nothing irritating about it! Its just pure fun. I think i should have played it at the hardest level first because "Marine" (medium) is pretty easy for me, but the game is just awesome.

Pandora's Box
08-05-04, 08:58 PM

i cant wait to get the sound load off the cpu. common creative get out of first gear and crank it up to 5th. get the damned patch out that adds eax to the game! my audigy 2zs is laughing at doom 3.

also when i got far cry i played it for a bit then got bored fast. not the case with doom 3. i played the game for 5 hours and couldnt get enough of it. then from the other room mom is yelling BED TIME! argh! i thought that ended at the 18 year old mark lol.

Intel17
08-05-04, 09:22 PM
FarCry as an engine is extremely impressive, but Doom 3 is much more fun to play and its engine is no slouch in any sense of the word.

John Carmack, you should be proud.

Vash
08-05-04, 09:27 PM
And there will be Doom 3 expansions... Excellent.

WeReWoLf
08-05-04, 10:08 PM
Wow... it seems like my little rant has hit the nail on the head...

Kev1
08-05-04, 10:37 PM
I agree with all you guys. This is one of the best (If not the best) pc games I have ever owned.

I salute John Carmack (salute)

ClosetFanBoy
08-05-04, 10:58 PM
"we are starting up on our next game. It will have a new rendering engine, which will be keeping me busy for a while"

they went to work on another engine? wow. i thought they went to work on a new game, not a new game AND engine. maybe unreal 3 will have some competition...... (duel)

mrrolf
08-05-04, 11:03 PM

:clap: well said

Kamel
08-05-04, 11:44 PM
unfortunately, from looking at the d3 engine to me it looks like a lot has been kept from q3; almost like a re-make of the q3 engine. not that it's so much a bad thing, but they need to be more forward-looking... the event of a new engine might be a good idea for making a totally new fresh engine, as opposed to q3 2.0, lol.

JumboJack
08-06-04, 12:09 AM

I don't think people complaining about the low rez textures are being too negative of the game. Its a valid complaint. I think everyone agrees that the game is amazing overall, its just that the low rez textures seem out of place with the quality of the engine they developed.

WeReWoLf
08-06-04, 12:19 AM
But at the rate that they are complaining is being quite annoying. I can tolerate a few complaints, but when they start taking over whole topics, and have a few threads about it, it's becoming a little too much.

Skrot
08-06-04, 12:25 AM
unfortunately, from looking at the d3 engine to me it looks like a lot has been kept from q3; almost like a re-make of the q3 engine. not that it's so much a bad thing, but they need to be more forward-looking... the event of a new engine might be a good idea for making a totally new fresh engine, as opposed to q3 2.0, lol.Isn't this just showing that Carmack knows how to do Code Reuse (TM) well? Many of the things that are in Quake3 probably didn't need to be changed, like the cvar system and what have you.

I wouldn't say that it's unfortunate...