PDA

View Full Version : (Possible) Solution to Stuttering in older games on 6800

Zetto
08-05-04, 08:08 PM
Hi there... I know there is a thread for that but it's so long and it became a private club for a few (j/k) Just trying to get larger audience... :lame: I know but hey, I want some attention :ORDER:

:inform: Alright, there is a hope for solving stuttering problem with the latest and greatest videocards from nVidia. As it has been indicated earlier, it's a driver issue but the one u can solve by lowering PRERENDER limit from default 3 to 1. What it does is forcing cpu prepare data for rendering next frame. Since 6800 is damn fast, it renders frames so fast that cpu can't feed it thru the straw (prerender mechanism). I think if u r playing older games, u can safely decrease prerender limit to 1. :dance:

NOW GO AND DO IT!!!! (spit)

I used RivaTuner... u can also use Coolbits d3d page to set "max frames to render ahead" to 1. Just to let u know, u can't set it to 0, 1 is lowest it can go (bump)

mario64
08-05-04, 08:37 PM
Hi there... I know there is a thread for that but it's so long and it became a private club for a few (j/k) Just trying to get larger audience... :lame: I know but hey, I want some attention :ORDER:

:inform: Alright, there is a hope for solving stuttering problem with the latest and greatest videocards from nVidia. As it has been indicated earlier, it's a driver issue but the one u can solve by lowering PRERENDER limit from default 3 to 1. What it does is forcing cpu prepare data for rendering next frame. Since 6800 is damn fast, it renders frames so fast that cpu can't feed it thru the straw (prerender mechanism). I think if u r playing older games, u can safely decrease prerender limit to 1. :dance:

NOW GO AND DO IT!!!! (spit)

I used RivaTuner... u can also use Coolbits d3d page to set "max frames to render ahead" to 1. Just to let u know, u can't set it to 0, 1 is lowest it can go (bump)
Would this have any negative affect on newer games though?

Mario64

Rytr
08-05-04, 08:53 PM
Would this have any negative affect on newer games though?

Mario64

Yes. It improves framerates and smoothness, but the negative effect is that it does this at the cost of increasing latency by the number of frames that are rendered ahead.
If you have 'mouse lag' you can sometimes remedy it by setting it less than 3 but it does slow down your FPS.
I have not been able to duplicate the 'stuttering' that has been reported in the other thread so I have not tried changing the rendering ahead.
Simple to set using the Nividia driver control panel. Just leave it at 3 for best performance in games unless you are having problems. Setting it less than 3 could create additional problems but you never know unless you try. :D

mario64
08-05-04, 09:29 PM
Yes. It improves framerates and smoothness, but the negative effect is that it does this at the cost of increasing latency by the number of frames that are rendered ahead.
If you have 'mouse lag' you can sometimes remedy it by setting it less than 3 but it does slow down your FPS.
I have not been able to duplicate the 'stuttering' that has been reported in the other thread so I have not tried changing the rendering ahead.
Simple to set using the Nividia driver control panel. Just leave it at 3 for best performance in games unless you are having problems. Setting it less than 3 could create additional problems but you never know unless you try. :D
Ok. Thanks!

Mario64

mariorulz247
08-05-04, 10:10 PM
haha can you explain it one more time im sorry, so lowering it to 1 will 1) solve stuttering problems 2) slow down performance. I dont get it. How can you clear out stuttering and still lose performance. Please explain. Im a retard :angel2:

Zetto
08-05-04, 10:52 PM
u r a retard :D if u don't want the advice, don't follow it :tongue2: u have a better suggestion? :wtf:

mariorulz247
08-05-04, 11:03 PM
no no no i like your idea i just dont understand it, sorry if i sound like an ass.
can you just explain the consequences of doin this (performance lose etc etc )

Zetto
08-05-04, 11:37 PM
i was just kiddin (did u notice the emoticons?) :D

Anywas, just try it... trial and error.. don't worry, ur puter won't blow up ;)

EDIT: my point is that the prerender is basically using CPU to help GPU to cope with graphics. When graphics card is the bottleneck, u can use extra cpu cycles to prerender frames, but with 6800 or x800 for that matter CPU becomes the bottleneck, and, as I said above, 6800 renders frames so fast, that CPU can't keep up with it (hence the hitching - when gpu idles for a fraction of a second without data being fed to from the CPU). Thus, my idea of reducing the number of prerendered frames since GPU is powerful enough to cope on its own. Again, this is only for situations when u r CPU-limited, i.e. in older games with last generation videocards :D

Bottomline - in older games, u won't see a performance loss ('cause u CPU limited, and GPU is not utilized to the fullest potential).

Disclaimer: all of the above is my speculation, based on some info I gathered from forums all over :D