PDA

View Full Version : WARNING: Fake cooperative mod - read if you don't feel like paying for 2 copies of d3

Kamel
08-05-04, 09:06 PM
Thanks DOOM_Maniac for pointing this out to me. Over on doomed3 they've got a short peice up on the co-op mod that has been making it's rounds around the community lately. It seems to have effects on your CD-key, i.e. it being stolen. All the modification actually seemed to do was crash the host when anyone tried to connect to it and cause several people to report that their CD-keys were in use when trying to play online. You have been warned <

not sure about the accuracy of this, but i figured i would share the info with you all so that you will atleast be spectical of any coop mods. i know a lot of people are working on them, but certainly none will be out this quickly.

edit: clicky (http://www.fpscentral.com/index.php?game=9&site=news&id=6521)

FierceDeityLink
08-05-04, 09:22 PM
Nah, it's a hoax. If you look inside the pk4, it's just a normal maps.def w/ the added SP maps.

It's not a cd-key stealer. When trying to use it and the game crashes, the server were connected to does not update your online status. Therefore, when you try to get on that server again it says the cd-key is already in use.

EDIT: Just to add, the current co-op mod works by allowing the host to choose from the single player maps when making a server. Problems arise with cut-scenes, deaths (player spawns in place of the other), and things like stairs breaking. It's just like how you can access the pak files of Half-Life if you're playing a mod.

Kamel
08-05-04, 09:38 PM
ah, ok... i haven't even seen this mod myself, i just wanted to get the word out just incase. thanks for the info! :D

Edge
08-06-04, 02:16 AM
Could just be a name spoof, like one coop mod that's an actual alpha and another that's basically just the filename of "Doom 3 coop mod" that's a data-miner that targets Doom 3 keys. Or else, it could just be a bug with the CD-key registry servers that don't correctly disconnect a client in the case of a crash, and it assumes that their CD key is still in use because it hasn't "unregistered" it from the server when there's a connection error. I know even in Half-life this happens sometimes: all the sudden my internet gets disconnected, and even several minutes later it thinks my CD-key is still in use.

aaahhh52
08-06-04, 08:41 AM
i'll take my chances, i installed it, and me a friend got to play for about 30 secs then it crashed but the thing is, is that it still worked, plus i got it from gamershell and i'll slap them around a bit if it tries to still my cd key lol.....

Yukanojo
08-06-04, 10:30 AM
so is it ok to use it?

Kamel
08-06-04, 10:32 AM
well, either it will steal your cd key, or it doesn't work, so for now i say it's pointless, lol

Yukanojo
08-06-04, 10:34 AM
well, either it will steal your cd key, or it doesn't work, so for now i say it's pointless, lol

Can we get confirmation from those who have used it?

Yukanojo
08-06-04, 10:36 AM
oh wait, I'll just kill my internet connection and have my brother try it with me over LAN. If it works without crashing, then we are good. I can also check to see if doom3.exe sends data out to any internet address.

Give me about 45 mins and I'll figure it out.

Where do I get this mod anyway?

Kamel
08-06-04, 10:38 AM
here (http://www.cyberfight.org/site/demos/15462/)

i no longer think it steals your cd key, but i'm sure it doesn't work.

edit: the link i posted i'm certain does not steal your cd key... looking in the pk4, the only thing it does is add options to start single player maps in multiplayer... unfortunately, making a cooperative mod will be *much* more complicated than that, so it borks the game into thinking your cd key is in use for some reason or another.

Yukanojo
08-06-04, 11:14 AM
doesn't steal the key nor does it work. Confirmation right here.

Edge
08-06-04, 06:58 PM
Ahh, alright then, I guess I was right with option 2: "it could just be a bug with the CD-key registry servers that don't correctly disconnect a client in the case of a crash, and it assumes that their CD key is still in use because it hasn't "unregistered" it from the server when there's a connection error."

FierceDeityLink
08-06-04, 07:13 PM
Actually, it worked for me a few plays, but then the map list must have been overwritten by the default. I have tried extracting maps.def and putting it in the base\def, but it doesn't show up anymore. You could, however, just change the map once you get the server up in a DM map.