PDA

View Full Version : Doom 3 screenshots saved as .tga

reyalP
08-05-04, 11:22 PM
How do I view these screenshots to save them as a jpeg? Paint dosen't have support for .tga files.

thanks

Kamel
08-05-04, 11:27 PM
don't think you can. personally, i just use fraps (www.fraps.com).

Clay
08-05-04, 11:28 PM
How do I view these screenshots to save them as a jpeg? Paint dosen't have support for .tga files.

thanks
There are a variety of freeware/shareware image viewers/editors. I'd suggest you download IrfanView: http://www.irfanview.com/ Good luck. :)

IrfanView does support TGA files
http://www.irfanview.com/main_formats.htm

-=DVS=-
08-05-04, 11:29 PM
If you want to convert one format to another ACDSee is best for me , you can conver multiple files to something else.

reyalP
08-05-04, 11:45 PM
THanks guys. I'm going to go ahead and download fraps.

Clay
08-06-04, 12:03 AM
THanks guys. I'm going to go ahead and download fraps.
Just so you know, FRAPS has nothing to do with viewing images. It's an excellent program and will let you take screenshots that are saved as a Windows BMP file.

Ludic
08-06-04, 12:14 AM
You can use Adobe Photoshop or Jasc Paint Shop Pro or Macromedia Fireworks, which are all image editing programs to convert.

Pimp!
08-06-04, 12:24 AM
ifran view dude, free and a very good program

Mullins1060
08-06-04, 01:03 AM
maybe

bind F12 "screenshotJPEG"

Riptide
08-06-04, 08:19 AM
This business of saving them as .TGA files is uber-lame. Why did they stray from the defacto standard (jpeg) here? Now I have to load some 3rd party utility just to view the screens??

Ludic
08-06-04, 08:29 AM
.TGA is how all Q3 games save screenshots by default as far as I know.

Kamel
08-06-04, 08:35 AM
.tga is completely lossless, that's why. things you see in the game and things like your hud are usually in targa format.

Riptide
08-06-04, 08:35 AM
Inconvenient. I downloaded that ACDSee program, just so I could see the screenshots from a game that I *paid for* already.

I'm already looking for something else. Anything that makes me put a code in to activate a TRIAL version is a POS. *poof* it's gone now, time to find something else.

Clay
08-06-04, 08:40 AM
@Riptide: Try that console command mentioned above bind F12 screenshotJPEG

Or, just install IrfanView. Saving as JPEG is not a good thing at all. You want a lossless format for the initial screenshot in the event that you want to do IQ comparisons. TGA is a standard. FRAPS uses BMP which is also a standard.

Riptide
08-06-04, 08:41 AM
IrfanView is my friend. :)

Clay
08-06-04, 08:43 AM
:cool: yeah it's no-nonsense, views darn near everything, has some nice features and is faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaast. :)

Riptide
08-06-04, 08:49 AM
You're right about the lossless format and all, it's just hard to e-mail five 4-5meg files sometimes. ;)

Clay
08-06-04, 09:16 AM
You're right about the lossless format and all, it's just hard to e-mail five 4-5meg files sometimes. ;)
Oh no doubt. :) IIRC IfranView will let you convert any format to any other. So you could easily convert (even in batch IIRC) the TGAs to JPGs. I use JASC's Paint Shop Pro 99% of the time so I'm a bit foggy on IrfanView's details...it is updated quite often as well with new support/goodies.

Kamel
08-06-04, 09:24 AM
@Riptide: Try that console command mentioned above bind F12 screenshotJPEG

Or, just install IrfanView. Saving as JPEG is not a good thing at all. You want a lossless format for the initial screenshot in the event that you want to do IQ comparisons. TGA is a standard. FRAPS uses BMP which is also a standard.

unfortunately, this is a quake3 command that for some reason or another they did not add to d3. might possibly be licensing, not sure (hence the use of .ogg sound files; which completely owns mp3 files btw :p); but unfortunately, screenshotJPEG no longer exists :(

CHEVYMAN_02
08-06-04, 09:29 AM
i used internet explorer

Clay
08-06-04, 09:35 AM
i used internet explorer
Yes, while not the most graceful of viewers IE will view TGA as will Mozilla/Firefox.

Seoulstriker
08-06-04, 01:42 PM
I'm going to run a batch on my screenshot directory when I finish the game. I'm already at 500mb+! :retard: