PDA

View Full Version : FarCry and antialiasing problem

Zelda_fan
08-06-04, 07:33 AM
I just got an XFX 6800GT - awsome card. I can turn 4xAA on and 16aniso on and just leave it on in any game including the two big dogs Doom III and FarCry. In FarCry though I noticed something wierd about the AA. The edges of things like interiors and rocks and buildings look perfect smooth and crisp, but for some reason it is like the vegitation dosen't get antialiased. The leaves on the trees and plants still look rough and jagged. I tried 8xAA (which was still very playable btw) and it was still the same. I took a look at the AA sticky thread you guys have (great thread btw), and I thought that maybe it was useing 4xOGSS AA instead of 4xRGSS AA. I am also useing the SM3.0 path and maybe that could be it? I have 4xAA enabled in the default drivers (but I think I"m going to try to install RivaTuner and force the RGSS mode). I am useing 61.77 drivers and the FarCry 1.2 patch and DirectX9c. Any comments and help is very much appreciated. Thanks!

MUYA
08-06-04, 07:39 AM
The vegetation are just textures etc w/o much polygons atatched to them (alpha textures they are known as?)....and which don't get anti-aliased with MSAA (Multi sampling AA alogs. ) that modern day GPU's use. Thats why you aren't seeing much anti-aliasing on them

MUYA
08-06-04, 07:40 AM
You could try SSAA (super sampling) Anti -aliasing modes thru rivatuner and that may anti alias the vegetation etc.

saturnotaku
08-06-04, 08:27 AM
Setting FSAA via the driver control panel does nothing for Far Cry. On NVIDIA cards you have to set the AA level through the in-game configuration.

MUYA
08-06-04, 09:08 AM
Sat, he did say the other bits were anti-aliased? except the vegetation? which are..primarily textures...which don't get anti-aliased? ;)
If someone knows better ...pls do tell. :D

Zelda_fan
08-06-04, 09:38 AM
Setting FSAA via the driver control panel does nothing for Far Cry. On NVIDIA cards you have to set the AA level through the in-game configuration.

No, setting through the driver panel works just as good as setting it through the game. I tried both and they produce the exact same results. I actually like setting it thorugh the driver better beacuse it gives me more control over what the AA is. It makes sense that alpha textures plastered on a square don't get antialiased, and I guess it's just a limitation of the FarCry engine. If they used actual geometry in their vegitation instead of a texture trick it would AA them, but that would really overload the graphics card.