PDA

View Full Version : How to get rid of these artifacts in Doom3?

Sandello
08-06-04, 08:35 AM
Hello there, I've noticed, that after 5-10 minutes playing Doom3, some kind of black blocks are appearing and some textures begin to flash. I've 62.20 ForceWare at the moment. I've tried to fallback to 61.77 and 53.03 - no result.
Doom3 settings: Ultra High quality, FSAA x2, VSync on. Refresh Rate 60Hz (LCD). I apologlize, if this topic was already discussed.

atomicrc11
08-06-04, 08:39 AM
do you have your video card overclocked? If so, turn it down. Also try turning off AA. Your card might be overheating. If that doesn't help, it could be going bad.

Sandello
08-06-04, 08:47 AM
Nope, its not overclocked (see signature). In stand by GPU core temp is 52C, ambient 44C. BTW, those black blocks didn't appered before and in other games. E.g. in FarCry it's OK. And in Doom3 they are usually in less quantity, near the bottom of the screen and offen appers when PC(camera) doesn't move.

I'll try turning AA off...

kahloq
08-06-04, 09:13 AM
Solution number one turn v sync on. Solution 2.........edit the DoomConfig.cfg file at the line that says set image_cache"20" and change it to 96 128 or 256.
Solution 3 Use nvidia driver display to force a refresh htz on the monitor to 85 at the resolution your wanting to play at.

I had same thing as well as several others even on a 6800 series card. What fixed it for me was the set image cache thing. Check the Doom3 forum section in gaming central for more info.

Sandello
08-06-04, 09:18 AM
Mmm, after some Doom3-playing GPU-core is 85C. Is this normal?

kahloq
08-06-04, 09:22 AM
yes Do not worry about heat unless you start getting real close to 100c

Sandello
08-06-04, 11:03 AM
Ok, thanks to atomicrc11 & kahloq - black blocks dissappeared (or they are appearing too rare to mention them) and textures flashes once per hour :)

kahloq
08-06-04, 11:08 AM
If you want to reduce the heat some, you can do two things really. Buy a vantec dual fan pci card and place it under the vid card.

AND/OR get a 3 to 4 pin adapter and plug the fan wire into the 3 pin off a molex line instead of where the fan wire plugs into the pcb. This will have the result of the fan on the vid card running ALL the time instead of slowing down once windows finishes loading.

ynnek
08-06-04, 12:24 PM
Hmm, I'm not getting any of these texture problems at all on my BFG 6800GT in D3... and I didn't twiddle with any of the settings. That purple stuff does look like a mem problem though - I've seen that happen when people OC their mem a little too high and its on the verge of crashing.

Oh, for kicks, I called the BFG support line and asked them a bout the temps. I told him I've seen up to 92C running the rthdribl_1_2 for long periods of time.. The tech guy said if the card is running fine, don't worry about it, the temps are normal.. *shrug*

Blacklash
08-06-04, 05:28 PM
I turned those on and gained wonderful load times and FPS on top of it. I have this set:

seta image_cacheMegs "512"
seta image_cacheMinK "524288"

Make sure you have a gig of ram or more. Otherwise just use 256 or lower.

SH64
08-31-04, 04:52 PM
Strange .. today i got a similar artifacts in Doom3 on my GT(not overclocked) . i never had them before . i tried every way to get rid of them but nothin worked .

for a last try .. i disconneted my internet connection & exited Steam download which was working in the background & all the artifacts has gone!

now its working normally :confused:
is there any possible reason for that ??

Waffles
08-31-04, 07:47 PM
Mmm, after some Doom3-playing GPU-core is 85C. Is this normal?

52 at idle is pretty hot. 85 at peak is very hot. You really should see 60s to low 70s at peak.

subbo
09-01-04, 01:17 PM
Hi guys. I solved these (not as bad as in the picture, just small blue dots of 4x4 pixels in the darkness) artefacts for myself:

When I got my MSI 6800GT on monday I had no problems, then I thought I'd upgrade my MOTHERBOARD bios, and no problems there.

Then I tried Doom3 again and noticed these dark blue spots sparkling in the black areas. I rebooted and noticed them also quickly when winxp was loading up and shows a black screen with the mouse cursor on it.

So I went back to the bios and noticed that AGP Fast Write and AGP Performance Control was disabled, where it was enabled before bios upgrade. I enabled them, and have had no artefact problems since! I just played doom3 for about 15 minutes, where before the blue spots would appear as soon as the map loaded.

This also took care of that jerky slowdown when the map is just loaded (1sec of uber slowness).

People say fast writes are bad, I say the opposite :)

SH64
09-01-04, 01:23 PM
Why did you upgrade your GT's BIOS . do you have problems with it ?? & what version / revision you're using now ?

subbo
09-01-04, 01:34 PM
Ah sorry, forgot the magic word "motherboard" bios :) Prolly should mention also that I loaded the latest Hyperion drivers from viaarena and use the 66.00 forceware.

Last night I played BFV for several hours, and like some benchmarks suggest BFV at highest settings is even harder than doom3 and might crash OCed cards. No problems with that game.