PDA

View Full Version : Explorer.exe and 61.21 drivers???

scaryogre
08-06-04, 12:16 PM
Hi,

I am curious if anyone has had problems with the 61.21 drivers crashing explorer.exe?

I have had this happen several times in the past couple of days on my new system. Usually it's a result of coming out of the desktop properties and/or right-clicking the desktop.

All my icons and toolbar are lost and all I see is the desktop background. I have to CTRL-ALT-DEL and restart explorer.exe. Once I do this then I get everything back, but since this is a brand new system I am concerned that something other than drivers might be wrong and I don't want to go changing them until I am sure that is what is causing the issue.

Would using WHQL 61.76 help? What about 61.77?

Can I just upgrade using the installer to one of the above driver sets or must I use drivercleaner first? (NOTE: I'd rather do this auto-matically by just updating unless that causes a problem). So far, the 61.21 drivers are the only drivers that have ever been on my system.

Thanks for any advice/help...

scaryogre

scaryogre
08-06-04, 04:43 PM
I'm leaving for home soon. Can anyone at least tell me if it's an OK process to install the new 61.76 drivers over my older 61.21 drivers?

I've done this in the past with my older Ti4200 without problems, but never with my 6800 GT and the newer 61.* driver set.

Thanks...

SpiderWoW
08-06-04, 05:08 PM
from time to time i also have explorer hangups
not sure so which software is responsible for that deadlock situation
restarting explorer helps but of course some tasks are not running anymore after that (mainly tray programs linked to the explorer task).

i am using 61.77 but it also happened before with 61.76, 62.20Beta and drivers below 61.xx, also with my old Geforce Ti4600 (but maybe not so often)

Sir Random
08-06-04, 05:16 PM
There's a known issue with the 62.20s, Right-clicking the desktop causes explorer to hang.

I've had no issues installing drivers over drivers yet, seems to still work.

scaryogre
08-06-04, 05:27 PM
Thanks fellas!