PDA

View Full Version : FYI - "image_useCache" killed my performance.

Zeta
08-06-04, 01:22 PM
I am too lazy to find the thread now. There was a thread the said to basically set your cfg file like this:
seta image_useCache "1"
seta image_cacheMegs "128"
seta image_cacheMinK "10240"

Everyone in the thread seemed to confirm that it helped performance. I was more interested in playing than benchmarking so I firgured I would change mine since everyone seemed to confirm this helps.
Well last night I did some benchmarking. With the above settings in the timedemo I was getting 33fps avg. I thought that wasnt too bad considering my video card. Then I remember changing the above settings. That is the only change I made to my cfg file. I changed it back to the default which was:
seta image_useCache "0"
seta image_cacheMegs "20"
seta image_cacheMinK "200"

Ran a timedemo again and now I am getting 45fps avg. The game is just soooo much soomther on top of the framerate increase. In another post I was complaining about hitching. That is gone. I just thought I would share what I found incase anyone made the same mistake I did.

My system:
Asus A7N8X deluxe
AMD Barton 2800+
512Mb Kingston DDR 400Mhz
eVga Geforce FX 5700 Ultra 128Mb DDR2
Forceware 61.77
DX 9.0c

Kamel
08-06-04, 01:35 PM
i've heard atleast 3 people complain image_usecache 1 crashes d3... one being myself. just as a bit of a warning.

Timothyb
08-06-04, 01:45 PM
When you ran the timedemo again, was it the 2nd run? I only ask because your score will be higher on the 2nd run because everything is pre loaded.

I messed with those settings too and it didn't change anything for me.

seta image_useCache "1"
seta image_cacheMegs "128" "256" "512"

I tried even stressing the 6800nu with High Quality 1280*1024 2xAA 8xAF, then at medium quality, then without AA and with AA with the image_usecache off again. I also checked each setting change on the first run of timedemo to see if it helped the loading. But there was no difference I could see.

Some people that even turn on image_useCache will cause their Doom3 crash.

Timothyb
08-06-04, 01:48 PM
i've heard atleast 3 people complain image_usecache 1 crashes d3... one being myself. just as a bit of a warning.

One thing I wonder though, everyone that says, "Hey, increase this, image_cachemegs from 20 to 128," but they don't say to turn on image_usecache, which defaults to 0.

It's only logical to think that image_useCache has to be on for anything changed in image_cacheMegs to take effect, yet people skip mentioning that and say they see a performance gain, or smoother.

I think most the time it's all in their head.

schuey74
08-06-04, 02:20 PM
Turning on seta image_useCache will cause your system to hang/crash if you have not changed seta image_cacheMinK from it's default value of 200.

Kamel
08-06-04, 02:41 PM
One thing I wonder though, everyone that says, "Hey, increase this, image_cachemegs from 20 to 128," but they don't say to turn on image_usecache, which defaults to 0.

It's only logical to think that image_useCache has to be on for anything changed in image_cacheMegs to take effect, yet people skip mentioning that and say they see a performance gain, or smoother.

I think most the time it's all in their head.

that's exactly what i posted in the post the topic starter was referring to... but i got thrashed around a bit, so i avoided the thread, lol.

CaptNKILL
08-06-04, 02:42 PM
Turning on seta image_useCache will cause your system to hang/crash if you have not changed seta image_cacheMinK from it's default value of 200.
Yup.

Dont know why people have ignored one setting when almost everyone has said to change all three. If you dont change them all it either wont work, or itl crash.

Zeta
08-06-04, 03:26 PM
Yes the 33fps and the 45fps that I refer to are both on the second run of the timedemo not the first run. Also if it helps I am running high quality @ 800x600. I also tired 1024x768 at medium quality and it was actually slower than high @ 8x6. I have not tested medium again since changing back the values to default. No time ... must complete the game.

Kamel
08-06-04, 03:41 PM
Yup.

Dont know why people have ignored one setting when almost everyone has said to change all three. If you dont change them all it either wont work, or itl crash.

turning that on with the defaults crashes it for me. i haven't heard much about the minks part; and "almost everyone" didn't say to change all three, matter of fact this is the first i've heard of changing image_usecache; i just assumed it needed to be on, when looking at the cvars.

DaveW
08-06-04, 09:23 PM
I heard you have to increase the cacheMinK to atleast 2048 to prevent it from crashing.

Anyway, these settings did nothing to my frame rate. All benchmarks have shown that it does nothing too. Some people still claim that these settings double your frame rate, and magically make the game playable in ultra-high settings in 1600x1200 on a GeForce 4 MX 64.

I think the whole thing is a red herring. Its probably some old code that doesn't work which is why its switched off by default anyway.

schuey74
08-06-04, 09:46 PM
I heard you have to increase the cacheMinK to atleast 2048 to prevent it from crashing.

Anyway, these settings did nothing to my frame rate. All benchmarks have shown that it does nothing too. Some people still claim that these settings double your frame rate, and magically make the game playable in ultra-high settings in 1600x1200 on a GeForce 4 MX 64.

I think the whole thing is a red herring. Its probably some old code that doesn't work which is why its switched off by default anyway.
Actually, you forgot a zero. Cachemink is set to 20480 for 1 gig machines and half that for those with 512 megs. This allows you to enable "image_useCache" and actually reap the benefits. I notice that's there's a lot less stuttering, but there appears to be an equal # of people claiming to see the difference and not.

Amuro
08-07-04, 12:29 AM
This is what I did:

seta image_useCache "1"
seta image_cacheMegs "2000"
seta image_cacheMinK "20480"

Worked like a charm with my 6800U.

Ludic
08-07-04, 01:07 AM
seta image_usecache "1" does not crash my system. I did adjust all three relevant settings.

Zetto
08-07-04, 01:12 PM
On that super-long thread over on planetdoom about image cache tweak, they went into long discussion/explanation into how this particular tweak has absolutely NO effect on timedemo, only on actual play :D Thus, ur fps dropping down are irrelevant. In other words, u changed something else in the process (enable AF in CP as opposed in the game or something), since these 3 settings do not affect the timedemo score ;)

http://www.forumplanet.com/planetdoom/topic.asp?fid=5733&tid=1438663

Zeta
08-07-04, 01:56 PM
Sorry but no. I am not going by just the time demo. I was getting tons of "hitching" while actually playing the game. It was so bad I thought it was my ram and was going to go buy 512Mb more. Since setting it back to default the hitching is all but gone and it plays almost perfect.

r2d2d3d4d5
08-07-04, 05:12 PM
Works for me. Changed the settings to:
seta image_useCache "1"
seta image_cacheMegs "96"

The "hitching" has definitely decreased. Might not be related but it has decreased anyway.
System RAM: 512MB, Video RAM: 128MB

Zeta
08-11-04, 09:27 PM
Update: Today I got another stick of RAM. So now I have 1 gig running dual channel. I tried this "tweak" again with this setting.

seta image_useCache "1"
seta image_cacheMegs "128"

Doing this on 512Mb of system ram lowered my frame rate from 45 fps to 30 fps. Now with 1 Gig Ram it stayed at 45 fps. I tried it with the tweak and without the tweak on the 1 gig of Ram. Both ways it was 45 fps.

I guess I need to try playing the game now and see if I get the hitching I was getting before.