PDA

View Full Version : I thought no difference between Medium and High! (Pics)

Timothyb
08-06-04, 02:32 PM
id Said the only difference on a 128mb card, which would be a medium setting, was more compression, which could result in some artifacts, but overall would look as good as High. And that Low would actually effect texture quality finally. And it was only in reviews you learn that High has 8xAF on.

Cropped from 1280*1024 2xAA 8xAF forced on in drivers.

http://premium.uploadit.org/TimothyB/DOOM_high_med.jpg

On this one, the medium quality causes larger specular highlights:
http://premium.uploadit.org/TimothyB/DOOM_high_med_2.jpg

Ninjaman09
08-06-04, 02:35 PM
The HardOCP article was very clear about the detail settings and how 8x Anisotropic was enabled automatically at High. Not only that, what you are seeing on those textures are artifacts caused by compression and the texture resolution is the same. Hence, "more compression, which could result in some artifacts, but overall would look as good as High". That is true and your pics prove it.

ynnek
08-06-04, 02:41 PM
Yea. I'm probably going blind, but at first glance, I can't really tell the difference, untill I actually start looking back and forth..

iD either did a great job of optimizng med, or they didn't do a good job making high detailed textures.

Timothyb
08-06-04, 02:49 PM
The HardOCP article was very clear about the detail settings and how 8x Anisotropic was enabled automatically at High. Not only that, what you are seeing on those textures are artifacts caused by compression and the texture resolution is the same. Hence, "more compression, which could result in some artifacts, but overall would look as good as High". That is true and your pics prove it.

I don't know, this just doesn't look like "some artifacts", this looks like everything has artifacts, like extreme compression, especially around sharp lines and 45degree angles that now look stair stepped in a way as if res was lowered or blurred.

Anyway though, the quality is much worse than let on.

Ninjaman09
08-06-04, 03:21 PM
Well, that's entirely subjective. I have two computers, the primary one being the one in my sig and the other an Athlon XP 2100+ w/ Asus A7V333 mobo, 512 megs of PC2700, and a Geforce 4 Ti4600. I've run the game on both for comparison purposes, and though my new one totally rocks the old one's ass, the game runs pretty nice at 800x600 @ Medium on the old one. IQ wise, I only noticed the absence of the anisotropic filtering. The game looked perfectly fine otherwise. Then again, you can't tell unless you take a screenshot from each mode and stare at them for a while. In-game there is no noticable difference for most people and it gives 128MB card users the performance they should get.