PDA

View Full Version : A Doom III review I agree with

Pages : [1] 2 3

LycosV
08-06-04, 05:47 PM
Gamespot finally posted up a review of Doom III today (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/doom3/review.html) and I have to say it almost mirrors my opinions. I'm very impressed with their objectivity and that they didn't just give it over a nine because it's doom. Anyway, check it out.

cam9786
08-06-04, 06:14 PM
I agree as well, cept for the flashlight question, everyone who asks "Why cant he hold a flashlight and gun" is an idiot and Doesn't know Doom 3's purpose. It's meant to scare the **** out of you, and that only would detract from the fear, and less fear is just not Doom 3.

LycosV
08-06-04, 06:27 PM
I think everyone knows why you can't hold a flashlight and a gun, they just want to know WHY you can't hold a flashlight and a gun, if you know what I mean. :)

Bopple
08-06-04, 07:07 PM
This has not been overwhelmed by the name value, either: (though a bit crude)
http://www.firingsquad.com/games/doom_3_review/

Banko
08-06-04, 07:13 PM
The only thing I didn't agree with gamestop was that the sound should've received a 10.

Bopple
08-06-04, 07:30 PM
10 points for sound? I can't agree...

intercede007
08-06-04, 07:41 PM
I think everyone knows why you can't hold a flashlight and a gun, they just want to know WHY you can't hold a flashlight and a gun, if you know what I mean. :)

Here's some realism...

Only idiots and actors hold a flashlight while holding a gun.

gmontem
08-06-04, 07:42 PM
I agree as well, cept for the flashlight question, everyone who asks "Why cant he hold a flashlight and gun" is an idiot and Doesn't know Doom 3's purpose. It's meant to scare the **** out of you, and that only would detract from the fear, and less fear is just not Doom 3.

id Software must not have been looking hard enough when they hired writers and such whose only ideas to scare the players is to force them to play in (near) total darkness. Hehe.

Zetto
08-06-04, 07:56 PM
Here's some realism...

uhm, there is such high tech device, called "adhesive tape"... I hear it's very RARE in Doom universe... imagine the business opportunities!!! :D :nanahump: :lame:

Pandora's Box
08-06-04, 08:25 PM
erm doom 3 is based how far in the future? my only bug with doom 3 is that the weapons could have a light on themselves.

Banko
08-06-04, 08:30 PM
FFS, stop arguing about the damn flashlight, and all the people that think it's dark, just stfu sheesh. You really are getting annoying, and don't know what Doom 3 is about.

DaveW
08-06-04, 08:33 PM
I think the sound is near perfect. The atmospheric effects are abundant. The voice acting was way better than most games. My only gripe is that the weapon sounds needed to be a bit meatier.

I'm about 3/4 of the way through the game now and I have to agree with some of those reviews. The "make you jump" shock effect has worn off. Whenever I walk into a room now, I know what is likely to be a script trigger (usually picking up armor, health, or a new weapon). I also can usually guess where the level designers put the spawn points. I also know that whenever three imps spawn infront of me there is always at least one spawned behind. In fact when something appears infront of me, not matter how big and threatening, the first thing I do is turn around and shoot whatever is behind me.

DaveW
08-06-04, 08:35 PM
And yeah, the flashlight arguments are stupid. Its obvious why it works the way it does and it was a good gameplay decision even if it isn't realistic.

saturnotaku
08-06-04, 08:39 PM
I couldn't agree more with the Gamespot review. They very well summarized my overall impression of the game thus far. I've moved a bit further along, and I am still of the belief that Far Cry is the better overall game.

Pandora's Box
08-06-04, 08:44 PM
im not saying the flash light is stupid, i know its how the game is meant to be played but considering the time period the game is played you have to wonder why the weapons dont have lights on them

Riptide
08-06-04, 08:51 PM
Here's some realism...

They could just use some duct tape and wrap it around the barrel of the shotty. That's what I'd do. :)

And what's a martian facility without duct tape? :p

intercede007
08-06-04, 09:40 PM
considering the time period the game is played you have to wonder why the weapons dont have lights on them

You are a soldier. You have a weapon. You are in a combat zone and the bad guys are everywhere.

In all fairness, you'd NEVER turn on your flashlight in that situation. You'd be dead before you saw anything worth shooting at, not to mention you would kill your night vision for the next several hours.

When your weapon is out, you don't want to make yourself a target. That means you don't want to be illuminating your position.

And it makes for a little more tense enviornment :)

Slybri
08-06-04, 09:46 PM
Maybe they were just angry that activision made them fly out to their headquarters on aug2 to get a game to review.
...nah

I mostly agree with that Greg Kasavin fellow...mostly. He says it right in his reviews, and he's got an eye for the bigger picture of the gaming industry. The whole bit about the "graphics don't make a game" debate, and how Doom 3 is an example of graphics that do make an average game great...that's a step beyond other reviews so far. And the thought about how the game would have been better with a checkpoint save system was dead on. Farcry didn't need it, doom 3 did. Kasavins rapidly becoming the Rogert Ebert of games on my browser.
The thing with the games few glaring conceits, the gun sans flashlight for example, is nitpicking. But it's just like a b-movie horror sci-fi flick, you've got to stop asking questions and enjoy it for what it is. Think about how many times someone could shout, "behind you!" watching you play this game..just like a cheesy horror movie.
ah well.. screw it I'm going back to Mars...

SH64
08-06-04, 10:25 PM
Funny how they gave Halo 9.0 & now they give D3 8.5 ..

so according to GS ratings .. Halo > Doom3

Edge
08-06-04, 10:37 PM
Considering Halo has much better multiplayer support with more balanced weapons and also vehicles, yes, I think it wouldn't be out of the ordinary for someone to like Halo better than Doom 3 (though did Greg Kasavin do the Halo PC review as well?). Not to mention the fact that it's been almost 10 months since the release of Halo, if you don't take time differences into account then according to most major publishers Quake is better than Doom 3, as well.

SH64
08-06-04, 10:49 PM
Considering Halo has much better multiplayer support with more balanced weapons and also vehicles, yes, I think it wouldn't be out of the ordinary for someone to like Halo better than Doom 3 (though did Greg Kasavin do the Halo PC review as well?). Not to mention the fact that it's been almost 10 months since the release of Halo, if you don't take time differences into account then according to most major publishers Quake is better than Doom 3, as well.

Its not about time difference .. its about Halo which didnt deserve that score .
when it came out the graphics was nothing more than avarage & the gameplay was repetive most of the time & the perforamnce issues with that game is well-known .

so seeing someone gives Halo 9.0 .. i dont think he will be credible enough for me to give Doom3 a score it deserves .

& yes Greg did the Halo's PC review .
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/halo/review.html

jAkUp
08-06-04, 11:01 PM
hmmm... the video review was kinda cool :)

Edge
08-06-04, 11:47 PM
Its not about time difference .. its about Halo which didnt deserve that score .
when it came out the graphics was nothing more than avarage & the gameplay was repetive most of the time & the perforamnce issues with that game is well-known.

OK...considering performance and graphics should be some of the LEAST important aspects of the actual fun you get out of the game (I played Deus Ex 1 at 5 FPS, don't tell me that you can't enjoy a game because it's too choppy), I fail to see how the one remaining point you make about the game would be enough to make it worse than another game which has the exact same problem (did you really not think that Doom 3 got more than a little repeatative after a while?). And especially because of multiplayer and more variety such as vehicles, I think there's a decent reason that Halo still has a moderately popular following (for a PC port of a console game, anyway). Kasavin made many good points in both reviews, it's not like he didn't have good reasons for giving these games the scores that he did. For as repeatative as the later levels in Halo got, they still offered much more variety in overall gameplay than Doom 3 did (again, taking into account things like multiplayer and extra features like vehicles).

so seeing someone gives Halo 9.0 .. i dont think he will be credible enough for me to give Doom3 a score it deserves.

Most reviewers would seem to disagree with you, so you must not consider very many of them are credible: http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/searchresult.asp?term=halo&itemid=291594

Sazar
08-07-04, 01:08 AM
fyi... there is a tape-duct mod that allows you to use a flash-light on a weapon...

http://ducttape.glenmurphy.com/

:cool:

haven't used it myself but it sure is practical... prolongs the life of the F button...

Jocomp10
08-07-04, 08:11 AM
Why dosen't the marine have night vision built into his helmet, maby throw in some infrared too for good measure :) . I mean what year is it and we don't have night vision built into the marines helmets? In my opinion halo is better than doom3, but that's becaus I don't realy like most horror games, Although doom3s gfx are impresive.