PDA

View Full Version : Overclocking question

JJJDrums2000
08-06-04, 07:29 PM
If I overclock my card and it is running at the same temp as it did when it wasnt overclocked does that mean it wont be damaged? Im new to this overclocking thing.

Distraught
08-06-04, 10:53 PM
If I understand your question correctly, then no. Are you worried about the the GPU or mem burning up? Generally speaking, unless you increase the voltage, the parts on the card won't burn out from just increasing the clock freq.

g_man
08-06-04, 10:59 PM
Yes i also need help with the overclocking of the Graphics card i use Coolbits.reg but it only lets me go so far and tells me that it is not safe even though my temps are fine.

saturnotaku
08-06-04, 11:00 PM
If the driver says it's not safe then heed the warning. End of story.

Distraught
08-06-04, 11:16 PM
Yes i also need help with the overclocking of the Graphics card i use Coolbits.reg but it only lets me go so far and tells me that it is not safe even though my temps are fine.

Try this ;)

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=34050

g_man
08-07-04, 12:21 AM
ok i my Riva Tuner looks exactly the same am i supposed to use rivatuner to overclock or the program. Also i am OC a FX 5900.

Distraught
08-07-04, 02:09 AM
You should be able to use either one.

g_man
08-07-04, 02:17 AM
Ok i figured out where the OC thing is in Riva and i had it up to 545/930 and i tried to run 3dmark03 and it does decent untill i get to scenes with alot of stuff goin on at once. Also when i get to the CPU test after the planes stuff pretty much runs at less than 10 FPS.

Distraught
08-07-04, 02:55 AM
CPUs are powerful for doing mathmatical calculations. GPUs are designed to do things like pixel shading and vertex calculations. That why the CPU tests get such low framerates. In other words, don't worry too much about the <10fps.

The artifacts you should worry about. Try decreasing both mem and core freq about 5MHz loop 3dmark nature test 10 times. Keep decreasing your clocks until you can loop 10x without errors. Once you find stable clocks then start increasing either the core or mem +5MHz or so and then loop 3dmarks again. When you max out which your toying with then move on to the other.

Keep in mind that changing temps could also change your overclocking headroom. So try to do this when it is the hottest time of day possible.