PDA

View Full Version : Have I lost my mind?

RedLeg
08-06-04, 10:49 PM
I just got a PNY 6800 GT the other day. Well I know for a fact I saw a tab on the nvidia dispay to manually set the clock frequencies. Well after a few drinks the other day I downloaded the most recent driver set from NVIDIA and sure as I am sitting here the tab is no longer there. Was this taken away w/the new drivers? Or am I missing something? Any help will be very much appreciated. Thanks

MUYA
08-06-04, 11:01 PM
I think u need coolbits2 for that. Try a search in these forums for "coolbits2"

mikechai
08-06-04, 11:07 PM
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=29541

Raptorman
08-06-04, 11:35 PM
Use RivaTuner... works so much better than Coolbits 2.

RedLeg
08-07-04, 12:01 AM
Thanks guys for the info that is a cool trick props to the guy who made coolbits:) did the trick np at all. I am still curious how I had those options before and then they disapeared.

JayrodTremonki
08-07-04, 12:09 AM
have to do it with every driver update.

the_archer
08-07-04, 02:59 AM
The guy that made coolbits was NV. All you have to do is turn on the option in the registry. Its possible to do it manually using regedit, all coolbits does is do that for you, same with rivatuner.

Team Scream
07-02-05, 05:01 PM
Thanks guys for the info that is a cool trick props to the guy who made coolbits:) did the trick np at all. I am still curious how I had those options before and then they disapeared.

Man I cant believe this,
I have (freshly) installed XP, and all related drivers for my system, rebooted between every driver install, then installed nTune 2.5 and I still cannot see the "clock frequencies" tab which allows me to "detect optimal settings", which then allowed me to run my card at 406/1100 on stock air.

Now PLEASE before you all tell me to get coolbits or rivatuner, understand that this feature was present WITHOUT either of these tools BEFORE I freshed XP.
And I would prefer to be able to use that "built in" feature and not install another app to get acess to these settings which were there in the first place.
What am I missing here besides (like the thread title states) MY MIND ?
PLEASE HELP !

rewt
07-02-05, 05:06 PM
Now PLEASE before you all tell me to get coolbits or rivatuner, understand that this feature was present WITHOUT either of these tools BEFORE I freshed XP.
And I would prefer to be able to use that "built in" feature and not install another app to get acess to these settings which were there in the first place.

NVIDIA does not distribute drivers with the Overclock Page enabled by default. If you installed drivers in which this page was enabled by default, then they were already modified by someone (i.e. starstorm, xtreme g, laptopvideo2go, etc.) to include coolbits.

jolle
07-02-05, 05:08 PM
What am I missing here besides (like the thread title states) MY MIND ?
PLEASE HELP !

Coolbits is just the name of the registry setting that exposes NVs built in Clock Freqency page, so its their own feature.
Its not exposed by default cause they prolly dont want people who dont know what they are doing to fiddle with the clocks..
If it was enabled by default on your system, well no idea how that happened, unless there is some driver release that has it enabled by default, some tools (like NVtweak) works like a Graphical frontend and changes that registry setting for you when you select to do so.
You can do the registry change manually with Regedit if you prefer.

EDIt
damn, ninjapost again!
I smell a conspiracy... I want some names rewt, you better start talking!
hehe..

Team Scream
07-02-05, 05:16 PM
Coolbits is just the name of the registry setting that exposes NVs built in Clock Freqency page, so its their own feature.
Its not exposed by default cause they prolly dont want people who dont know what they are doing to fiddle with the clocks..
If it was enabled by default on your system, well no idea how that happened, unless there is some driver release that has it enabled by default, some tools (like NVtweak) works like a Graphical frontend and changes that registry setting for you when you select to do so.
You can do the registry change manually with Regedit if you prefer.

EDIt
damn, ninjapost again!
I smell a conspiracy... I want some names rewt, you better start talking!
hehe..

Ok, I will buy that, but I can tell you that I did not have to edit the registry to enable that function prior.
There was a button of some kind in the advanced/6800xx tab that when I clicked it a warning screen came up that allowed me to opt out, then from there I could oc the 3d and 2d settings or select "detect optimal settings".
So are you telling me there is no way to get that feature re-enabled without using coolbits or a registry tweak?
Thanks for the fast reply!

jolle
07-02-05, 05:25 PM
Was it official NV drivers or were they 3rd part modded ones like rewt suggested?
would make sense..

coolbits is what the .reg file is called, it adds the setting to the registry.
If you rather like to do it yourself, manually, do as follows:
(you could do it with NVtweak or some other tool, they do the same thing as running coolbits.reg or doing it manually.)

"Run" in the startmenu, type in "regedit" and hit enter, then navigate to:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NVTweak]
in your right hand window, click right mouse, then choose "New" then DWORD value.
name it "CoolBits", double click it and set the value to "ffffffff".
Now open the NV ControlPanel, and the option for clock frequencies should be there.

EDIT
Maybe it was enabled by some app or tool EVGA shipped with the card?
Did you use a driver from their CD or of their website? maybe they changed that so it would be exposed or something?
Since it normally isnt.

Team Scream
07-02-05, 05:40 PM
Was it official NV drivers or were they 3rd part modded ones like rewt suggested?
would make sense..

coolbits is what the .reg file is called, it adds the setting to the registry.
If you rather like to do it yourself, manually, do as follows:
(you could do it with NVtweak or some other tool, they do the same thing as running coolbits.reg or doing it manually.)

"Run" in the startmenu, type in "regedit" and hit enter, then navigate to:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NVTweak]
in your right hand window, click right mouse, then choose "New" then DWORD value.
name it "CoolBits", double click it and set the value to "ffffffff".
Now open the NV ControlPanel, and the option for clock frequencies should be there.

EDIT
Maybe it was enabled by some app or tool EVGA shipped with the card?
Did you use a driver from their CD or of their website? maybe they changed that so it would be exposed or something?
Since it normally isnt.

You know, now that you mention that you may have hit the mark?
When I first built the system about a month ago, I originally installed to GPU using the eVGA installation disc, then I downloaded the 71.89 series from nVidia, and the option was available, this time around I skipped installing from the eVGA disc and went straight to the 71.89 drivers I had burned to CD along with all the other updated drivers.

I will do the registry tweak as it seems really simple, but I had read some other posts from this forum that said some of the features were disabled and others were not when using coolbits tweak so I was shying away, since my system runs perfect with the "detect optimal settings" selected and applied which runs my card at 406/1100 (up from a stock 350/1000) and I thought that was "safe" to do.
Thanks for the replies man I do appreciate it.

LBJM
07-02-05, 05:46 PM
you can download the coolbits reg file from guru3d import and there it is.
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=815

Team Scream
07-02-05, 05:50 PM
P.S. I just did the coolbits tweak and that opened everything right up, sorry for my confusion.
I am generally leary about registry stuff, I dont have a lot of experience digging around in there, seems like everytime I have added or massaged the registry I end up in hell somewhere lost with a system that performs like crap.
so I am taking it easier than usual and tweaking things one at a time and then giving myself a few hours of using the system to determine if it was a good tweak or needs reversing.
The settings on my 6800GT were previously tested stable for days and days so I wanted to get back there asap.
Thanks alot for your help.
MUCH appreciated.

jolle
07-02-05, 05:56 PM
np, running the Coolbits .reg file does a few other things, think it opens up a few other pages aswell.. doesnt hurt tho..
the manual way i described would only open the Clock settings page.
if you do right mouse and "edit" on a .reg file, it opens like a text file that can be edited, and it shows what changes will be done to the registry.

The registry is a bit tricky to fiddle with, alot of critical things are in there..
but generally, if you dont go and change things at random your fine, and if your acting on good sources, so its not someone out to trick you hehe..

Team Scream
07-02-05, 06:31 PM
The registry is a bit tricky to fiddle with, alot of critical things are in there.. but generally, if you dont go and change things at random your fine, and if your acting on good sources, so its not someone out to trick you hehe..

Yeah jeeebus.....you coulda been trying to cause a melt down here lol.....
I should learn how not to trust so freely!

Just kidding bro.
Thanks so much for the help! :afro2:

Saibot
07-02-05, 09:00 PM
If you install and run nVidia's nTune application it will enable the overclocking tab in the control panel also. Just a little something I noticed and I don't think anyone mentioned before. I don't even bother with the coolbits reg file anymore.

Team Scream
07-03-05, 07:46 PM
If you install and run nVidia's nTune application it will enable the overclocking tab in the control panel also. Just a little something I noticed and I don't think anyone mentioned before. I don't even bother with the coolbits reg file anymore.

Yeah Sailbot,
Thats what I thought too, check out my post up ^ there more carefully you'll see that I did install ntune 2.5 but it did not open up the control panel and give me those options as it DID do before this fresh install, which I thought was really weird and the reson I posted here in the first place.
I even re-installed the video drivers again and ntune again to make sure it installed and still no go.
The coolbits reg tweak opened it up for me, but I would rather use the ntune.

Saibot
07-03-05, 10:04 PM
Yeah Sailbot,
Thats what I thought too, check out my post up ^ there more carefully you'll see that I did install ntune 2.5 but it did not open up the control panel and give me those options as it DID do before this fresh install, which I thought was really weird and the reson I posted here in the first place.
I even re-installed the video drivers again and ntune again to make sure it installed and still no go.
The coolbits reg tweak opened it up for me, but I would rather use the ntune.

Yeah I did miss that part in your post. I just checked my version of nTune and I'm still running 2.00.23, didn't even know there was a newer version out. That must be why it works for me.