PDA

View Full Version : I have never been so pissed off with a game

Pages : [1] 2

superklye
08-07-04, 12:39 AM
Yeah, my machine isn't the fastest or the best, but when a ****ing 6800GT you would think that 1280x1024 at medium with AA and AF off would be playable.

It's not.

Turning the resolution down to 1024x768 is playable about half the time and the other half is very choppy.

800x600 medium is the same way.

I don't want to talk about 800x600 on high.

This is absolutely ridiculous. I am on the verge of uninstalling Doom 3 and never looking back. I don't care how pretty and great it is. If I can't play the game on damn near the lowest settings, then why bother? It really seems like the $411 it cost for the eVGA 6800GT was wasted since my roommate with a P4 2.4GHz, 512MB single channel DDR333 and a GeFORCE4 Ti4200 (128MB) can play at 1280x1024 in medium with no problems at all.

What a complete crock.

MUYA
08-07-04, 12:47 AM
Damn playable on my LeadTek A400 Ultra TDH at 1280 by 1024 with 4X AA and 8X AF on tweaked High Quality as well.

I am cr@pping m pants everytime I play Doom III whether its because of the purdy graphics or it's because of the damned sound effects/story/envirnoment interaction etc.

Barrok
08-07-04, 12:56 AM
I have a similiar computer and I get 68 fps at 1152x864 with ULTRA Quality Settings with 2x aa. Its great! You are doing something wrong. Maybe you should formatt/ use drivercleaner/ do something cause doom3 isnt the culprate, you are :)

Ludic
08-07-04, 01:07 AM
Do you use dual monitors? There's a known bug with dual monitors, Nvidia and Doom 3.

superklye
08-07-04, 01:07 AM
I formatted less than 2 weeks ago after my (second in two weeks) hard drive died. it's not windows.

the only drivers I've installed are the 61.66 and the nForce drivers provided by my mobo and then by nvidia.

i'm going to disable fastwrites in the BIOS and see what that does for me. man, this is annoying as hell.

superklye
08-07-04, 01:08 AM
Do you use dual monitors? There's a known bug with dual monitors, Nvidia and Doom 3.

yes!

i do in fact use dual monitors. what is this bug? where can i find out more information and possible (if there are any) fixes?

LiquidX
08-07-04, 01:12 AM
Do you have anything running in the background? I was running a program and Doom ran like crap untill I shut it down. Also did you mess with any of the config values? I have about the same system and I am running at 1600X1200 high and all the other settings enabled and no problems.

-edit
late found your problem. :)

killahsin
08-07-04, 01:13 AM
turn off dual monitors! thats why!

Mathesar
08-07-04, 01:13 AM
Yea something isnt right there, Im at 58fps timedemo @ 1600x1200 4XAF High quality on a 6800 GT running stock speeds,I noticed leaving Vsync disabled helps performance a lot w/ Doom3 ,I normaly have it enabled in other games.

superklye
08-07-04, 01:15 AM
turn off dual monitors! thats why!

so while playing, i should just set the monitors to single monitor (disabling the second one) to fix it? or do i actually need to unplug it so the card doesn't recognize it as being there anymore?

jAkUp
08-07-04, 01:36 AM
just set it to single monitor in your driver options... poof. performance is great again :) Now go enjoy doom3 :)

superklye
08-07-04, 01:42 AM
just set it to single monitor in your driver options... poof. performance is great again :) Now go enjoy doom3 :)

i did it and wow: 1280x1024 in High with 8x AA and AF. It runs a like a dream.

Thanks you guys!

CaptNKILL
08-07-04, 02:10 AM
i did it and wow: 1280x1024 in High with 8x AA and AF. It runs a like a dream.

Thanks you guys!
Youve been having this problem for days, havent you noticed everyone talking about stuff like this to solve performance problems? Damn, if i were you, i would have been scouring the boards for this kind of stuff the second i noticed a problem :p

Kamel
08-07-04, 07:13 AM
so while playing, i should just set the monitors to single monitor (disabling the second one) to fix it? or do i actually need to unplug it so the card doesn't recognize it as being there anymore?

there is an option in the drivers that will "split performance" between monitors (heads technically i guess), this option should be turned off.

no need to remove dual monitors all together ;)

superklye
08-07-04, 10:37 AM
Youve been having this problem for days, havent you noticed everyone talking about stuff like this to solve performance problems? Damn, if i were you, i would have been scouring the boards for this kind of stuff the second i noticed a problem :p

i was out of town from Tuesday night to yesterday around 5pm CST.

NightFire
08-07-04, 10:39 AM
Good thing you found the fix

superklye
08-07-04, 10:44 AM
there is an option in the drivers that will "split performance" between monitors (heads technically i guess), this option should be turned off.

no need to remove dual monitors all together ;)

I am not seeing that anywhere in the drivers. I right clicked on the desktop and go to the normal video card options through there...is it in there or am I looking in the wrong place?

Kamel
08-07-04, 11:21 AM
eh, i'm not very sure where it can be found as i don't run dual monitors myself, sorry.

i'd say just poke around and you can find it somehow; or ask someone with dual monitors who may know, heh.

mattkenn_4545
08-07-04, 03:06 PM
Why don't you overclock your fsb a little instead of staying at stock. Your not using any where near all you potential. Also if you wan't more processing power get a Mobil Athlon XP 2500+(Barton) oc it to ~2.6ghz and you got one fast a hell computer.

rwagner
08-07-04, 04:10 PM
Go to Performance & Quality settings in the driver control panel. There should be a "hardware acceleration" option in the list (make sure the "show advanced settings" box is checked, it won't show up without it). Just set that to single-display mode and you're all set.

Elminster
08-08-04, 12:31 AM
Its under Performance and Quality, then Open GL settings.
There is an option that says Multi-display hardware acceleration: The option Single-display mode is what you want.

Once I switched to that I was able to run at 1600x1200 with Ultra Quality with self-player shadows turned on. I am even able to record videos with Fraps at half-resoltion and stay above 30FPS.

saturnotaku
08-08-04, 01:18 AM
Why don't you overclock your fsb a little instead of staying at stock. Your not using any where near all you potential. Also if you wan't more processing power get a Mobil Athlon XP 2500+(Barton) oc it to ~2.6ghz and you got one fast a hell computer.

Because perhaps he doesn't want to take that risk. And in case you weren't keeping up, he already found the solution to his problem. (welcome)

superklye
08-09-04, 11:59 AM
Because perhaps he doesn't want to take that risk. And in case you weren't keeping up, he already found the solution to his problem. (welcome)

haha, that emote was hilarious. :)

But yeah, I've tried OCing and my computer always failed in prime95. The best I had gotten it was 2.2GHz (200FSB x11) at 1.775vcore and it went about 2 hour in prime95 before crapping. I actually made a thread about it because I got a really weird error.

Anyway, I could try bumping the vcore to 1.8 or even 1.85 but when I ran prime95 at 1.775, the CPU heated up to 72-75 degrees which is NOT good. I suppose I could just bump the vcore up and then hope it's stable.

I've got the SLK-900A with a generic 80mm ball-bearing fan, by the way.

mileswb
08-09-04, 06:16 PM
Here's something strange - I'm using a dual-monitor setup, and if I go into the hardware acceleration settings and change it to "Single Display," I end up with a white screen and nothing else when I start Doom 3 up.

I have to actually disable my second monitor in order to get the game to run satisfactorally, 'cause with any of the other dual monitor settings chosen I get the same framerate problem the original thread poster described.

Has anybody else encountered this? Any suggestions on how to fix it? It's frustrating to have a dual monitor setup but not be able to use it due to D3.

Hardware:
MSI K7n Delta-L nforce 2 mobo
1024 MB RAM at 400 MHz
Athlon XP 3200+
BFG 6800 GT
Creative Audigy 2

baller99
08-09-04, 06:18 PM
I am able to run 800x600 on high with 2x aa on a 9700 pro with 1.4ghz p3...runs smoothly. There is something wrong with your setup.