PDA

View Full Version : Finally! Windows XP SP2 is released!

Pages : [1] 2

Phatal
08-07-04, 12:50 AM
Well sorta...not available for download yet, but it's been released to manufacturers.

Link to press release (http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2004/aug04/08-06WinXPSP2LaunchPR.asp)

MUYA
08-07-04, 12:51 AM
Poop..guess a few hours/days to wait for us normal end users.

Clay
08-07-04, 01:05 AM
Well sorta...not available for download yet, but it's been released to manufacturers.

Link to press release (http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2004/aug04/08-06WinXPSP2LaunchPR.asp)
Let me be the first to say that your avatar rocks. :thumbsup: Got a good laugh out of that, Simpsons rule. :cool:

rewt
08-07-04, 01:14 AM
I wonder if its any different than the release candidate, and if it will include the latest BITS and DirectX updates?

Phatal
08-07-04, 01:37 AM
Let me be the first to say that your avatar rocks. :thumbsup: Got a good laugh out of that, Simpsons rule. :cool:

Thanks! And you're right, the Simpsons do rule!

Son Goku
08-07-04, 06:19 AM
I wonder if its any different than the release candidate, and if it will include the latest BITS and DirectX updates?

Direct X 9.0c is already in RC2... Most people might have to wait till August 25th to download this though. Time will tell

NightFire
08-07-04, 09:33 AM
Well, it's available to download for WindowsBeta members, or you could snag a link from off the web. I've got some MD5 checksums from off slashdot to check if it's the right file.

Um...I guess there's also some bittorrents out there.
Actually I have a download link, but I don't know if I can post it here, and I don't know if it's good or not. Found it on some Dell Forums...

MUYA
08-07-04, 12:38 PM
No bit torrent links of anything that's not official thanks.

Riptide
08-07-04, 08:44 PM
http://www.iamnotageek.com/a/164-p1.php

Linkys. :)

Got it installed myself. No probs so far, but the RC's have been good for me as well.

smurfer
08-07-04, 09:51 PM
http://www.iamnotageek.com/a/164-p1.php

Linkys. :)

Got it installed myself. No probs so far, but the RC's have been good for me as well.

Better check for digital sigs i did and do have the real deal.
http://home.earthlink.net/~smurfer/_uimages/Image4.jpg

NightFire
08-07-04, 10:35 PM
Oh great...60 hours for me. Guess I'll it'll take a few days to download.

Riptide
08-08-04, 09:03 AM
It did seem to take a while to download for me w/bit torrent. About 10K/sec. is all I got, took 3 1/2 hours or so.

rewt
08-08-04, 09:57 AM
Did you guys install the SP2 over top of SP2 RC2 beta? I am going to make a new XP disk with the final SP2 already integrated, but wondering if I should use the SP1 disk, or the SP2 RC2 disk that I made bout a month ago?

Da Alians
08-08-04, 10:04 AM
id use the sp1 disk..i remember reading somewhere that u would have to uninstall a previouse sp2 if u had one..as for slipstreaming i dont know if it matters

bigC
08-09-04, 05:59 PM
i just d/l'ed sp2 and installed it ... no probs so far. :D

a question, though: is it OK to delete the back-up files created by the sp installation (ie, in WINDOWS, there is a directory called ServicePackFiles, with about 500 megs or so of files). there's also another dir called $NtServicePackUninstall$ with about 450 megs. can this be deleted?

Sazar
08-09-04, 06:39 PM
jah... sp2 seems pretty stable so far :)

final release and all...

btw if you haven't done so... think about installing and running adaware SE :)

that bugger is beaut...

Son Goku
08-09-04, 08:12 PM
jah... sp2 seems pretty stable so far :)

final release and all...

btw if you haven't done so... think about installing and running adaware SE :)

that bugger is beaut...

Wasn't that to be released on August 15? :confused:

And as to my install, dunno I had, umm well one of those things happen prior to applying it. Diskeeper went to auto-defrag my HDs, didn't want to wait, so stopped the defragging. It locked up my computer...

So I rebooted, was at 640x480 with 4-bit color. Tried it again, but restoring last known good config and BSOD (page_fault_in_non_paged_area)...

I reinstalled the CAT drivers and got my video back, but some other things are well messed up it seems. SP2 is on, but noes :eek:

LiquidX
08-09-04, 08:58 PM
Just downed it and like it alot. The firewall is a BIG plus for me being that I can now get rid of zone alarm which kills my boot-up time as well as other performance issues. I also dig the built in pop-up blocker for ie, works great. :clap:

remymarten
08-10-04, 02:54 AM
posted Mon August 09 2004 11:48 PM
As a side note.... I had the latest beta version of SP2 installed. When I tried to install the Far Cry patch it would not complete installation until I removed the Beta version of SP2. Then I reinstalled SP2 and all was well. Today I tried to install Doom 3 and had the same problem (incomplete install) until I again removed the beta version of SP2. Now I gonna wait to get SP2 through Windows update. I sure hope the final SP2 does not have the same problem when installing new software. Because I don't think the final version of SP2 comes with an uninstall program like the beta version did. Anyone else run into this problem?

rewt
08-10-04, 03:11 AM
Reasons like that are exactly why I format and do a clean slipstreamed installation every time a service pack comes out.

Phatal
08-10-04, 12:02 PM
Reasons like that are exactly why I format and do a clean slipstreamed installation every time a service pack comes out.

I couldn't agree more. Do yourself a favor...back-up all your necessary files (and saved games!) and do a reformat/reinstall.

Riptide
08-10-04, 12:53 PM
I've been lucky. I was able to just run the SP setup while I already had an existing RC install and it went fine. No problems to report so far...

Also downloading ADAware SE. Thx for the heads up on that guys, I didn't even know it was coming. :)

Oh, if you are going to create a slipstreamed SP2 installation disc do you have to use the original XP (no SP) disc for your source or can I use my disc that has the SP1a already slipstreamed in there for the source disc?

r2d2d3d4d5
08-10-04, 05:08 PM
Official link (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en)

Vapor Trail
08-11-04, 06:47 PM
Downloaded it and installed it right over RC2, absolutely no problems :)

tntjoe
08-11-04, 08:15 PM
Downloaded and installed XP SP2, looks good and no problems, so far :bugeyes: