PDA

View Full Version : What would you rate Doom 3 on a scale of 1-10?

Pages : [1] 2

jAkUp
08-07-04, 01:01 AM
On a scale 1-10, what would you rate Doom III?

It has been an absolute blast for me, and I'm not even finished! There are a few minor annoyances here and there, but they are just that... minor. I think its a fantastic game and loads of fun. (Scary too) Reminds me so much of Half-Life... but thats not a bad thing.

I wish there was more variety in the demons, since I'm getting kinda sick of killing imp after imp, and the enemies are getting a little predictable in terms of where they will spawn/hide... etc. I am also still having trouble connecting to some multiplayer servers. I also wish there was more examples of the physics engine. Also anyone finding any use for the fists? I wish they werent there, its just 1 more weapon for me to scroll through. I mean, you can bash people with the flashlight, why on earth would you need fists?

My vote for GOTY so far. FarCry is great also, alot different, but honostly, I am just having more fun with doom3. Much more polished, and appeals to me more.

Pros-
Great graphics
Amazing environment/atmosphere
Very scary at times
Very cool scripted sequences
Very well done demon models/NPC's
Fun weapons
Very impressive sound effects
Audio logs are interesting
Longer game than most nowadays
Lighting/shadows is remarkable and fits the games mood

Cons-
Laggy and frustrating multiplayer
Out of the box no self shadow/feet
Sometimes a little too dark for my tastes
Super bouncy rubberball grenades
Repetitive enemies
Occasional predictable battle
Ocassional low res texture here or there
Few examples of physics engine
Some gun sounds could have a little more "oomph"
I want my Doom 3 on DVD!!!!

I give it a:
"9 - Amazing. Instant orgasm."

:nanahump:

XP_GUN
08-07-04, 01:24 AM
Pros-
Awsome Graphics
Awsome fps
Very Dark and scary
Demons acted and looked real.
Sounds
How the Flashlight worked that keeped you on the eage.

cons-
No Pinky eating seen.
multiplayer
No big Brain Spiter thingy. V
http://www.gamingfiles.com/screenshots/18/others/Image21.jpg

In all I loved the game I give it a 9/10

Sazar
08-07-04, 01:35 AM
I gave it a 7 (I don't think I have rated anything a perfect score be it classic movies or whatever :D)

pros:
-fairly good graphics
-environment looks excellent :thumbsup:
-blood and gore effects on environment are class :thumbsup:
-game looks really good @ speed (ie if you are not sitting still)
-good scalability (lower end gpu's can handle the game)
-decent sound
-nice character models (marine, NPC's, weapons, the like)

cons:
-story
-flow of game (its not bad eventually but it gets repetitive)
-enemy AI (again it improves later but still predictable)
-some sounds are flat (ie footprints, some doors)
-too much half-life redux
-multiplayer

on the whole its a decent game... and while some people complain about it I love the fade away effect of dead monsters is nice... only a coupla games have been able to carry off the rag-doll effects...

Ludic
08-07-04, 01:57 AM
I gave it a 7 because after I beat it once, I haven't been able to force myself to play the single player again, especially on Nightmare. Maybe my rating will change after I take a couple days off from it.

holmes
08-07-04, 02:22 AM
I gotta say, this game is a 10. It surpassed my expectations.. considering all the hype, that's a pretty tough thing to do.

Bravo id.
:clap:

ClosetFanBoy
08-07-04, 02:48 AM
i loved it. was a great time. quite honestly the 1st time i played (on 2nd run) i was on the edge of my seat good 95% of the time, the other 5% was when things did become somewhat predictable, but even then, having it (some sort of creature) stalk,scratch and make those freakish sounds still gave me chills. but i have to admit, on my 2nd run i figured it wouldnt freak me out or have the make me jump factor, i was wrong. i've been gaming for a good 20+ years, and never in my life have i jumped so high, i damn near rocked everything right off my desk. all i could do was burst out laughing.

i'm having a hard time finding any gripes really, i would have liked to have interacted with more "survivors". that, and i was hoping to run with a few other marines and maybe get into some firefights with them for a sequence or 2. and yes, sometimes it was so dark (2 or 3 times) that i couldnt see anything i was shooting at. it would have been cool if they made some hellish looking eyes glowing in the dark or something. other than those trivial things - excellent gaming experience.

rating: 9 orgasmically excellent

pros: well rounded game - graphics - sound - gameplay - atmosphere.
cons: tad predictable at times (then again what game isnt) - lack of character interaction (could have used a few females - too many bald guys) (dan) - no teaming up with surviving marines for a level or 2. - no pet bunny!

oh, and i thought those lil sentry "buddy" bots were totally cool! if you trailed off they would come look for you, with this "hey you follow me" kind of way about them. they actually had more personality than the humans, and i actually found myself more concerned with their survival then anything else. heh. although they were capable of taking care of anything in there path - it was kind of like having your "dog" run with ya. :)

r2d2d3d4d5
08-07-04, 03:54 AM
pros:
amazing graphics
some interaction with environment
a few puzzles

cons:
very repetitive
too much reliance on the shotgun (it's Mars for frags sake)
some things to do with the engine and setup seem to be unfinished (in game fine)
too few baddy types
baddies too constrained in their movements so that they always do the same things
why do I have to be the marine again
limited replay appeal

comment:
ok it has atmosphere but not nearly as much as the Alien Vs Praditor games and they are generally scarier.

Score:
:firedevil :firedevil :firedevil :firedevil :firedevil :firedevil :firedevil :firedevil :angel2: :angel2:

WeReWoLf
08-07-04, 04:36 AM
I gave it 10... I absolutely love this game... my g/f is gettin jealous...

Kamel
08-07-04, 06:09 AM
not done playing it yet, so i really can't give it that valid of a rating, but i went ahead and went with a 9. it's funny because i referred to doom3 as an orgasm before actually seeing this thread, so i guess that's the perfect match.

i told my friends "doom3 gives me a lightgasm" meaning it's the first game ever to have lighting so great i don't know anything they could have done to make it better.

saturnotaku
08-07-04, 06:33 AM
I give it a 7 because I'm having a hard time motivating myself to even want to fire it up in the first place. When I do get it going, I enjoy it but I can see where it's going to become repetitive.

From a technical standpoint, this game is exceptional and that's what would keep me from ranking it lower. But as an overall experience, it's merely above average.

Slyder
08-07-04, 12:20 PM
The game gets a 6 for me.

The game do's not justify the amount of time it was in development, it has nothing to shout about in the multiplayer department. The graphics are on par with what I expected, but nothing to get excited over, and I am getting that horrible sense now that I am walking down the same looking corridor, killing the same kind of monsters, the next time I play the game.

At least it will give me something to play untill United Offensive comes out.

-=DVS=-
08-07-04, 03:14 PM
Id have to go with 8 its great and fun ,but i missed cool music and big areas of lotsa monsters just like first doom , where you could get your adrenaline pumping on killing freanzy :drooling:

Clay
08-07-04, 03:19 PM
Id have to go with 8 its great and fun ,but i missed cool music and big areas of lotsa monsters just like first doom , where you could get your adrenaline pumping on killing freanzy :drooling:
Heh, if you want to see a level with a lot of monsters just type this in your console: map testmaps/test_lotsaimps

Fair warning though...it'll likely crash the game after a bit. :D

SH64
08-07-04, 05:05 PM
I gave it 10 since this game is absolutely my style .

sounds-graphics-gameplay-action style -weapons .. i like John Carmack's style of gameplay which is simple & direct , not that i hate tactics & complex gameplay , but i already had enough of these atm .. FarCry is the best example .

SH64
08-07-04, 05:30 PM
4 - A little below average, like jAkUp's pen0s.

:lol2: Jakup .. you cracked me up with this one ! :rofl

jAkUp
08-07-04, 06:08 PM
:lol2: Jakup .. you cracked me up with this one ! :rofl

:condom:

CaptNKILL
08-07-04, 08:36 PM
I gave it a 9 :D

Right now im in hell (well.. in the game obviously :D) and im still having a great time. Im playing it on Marine and its pretty easy most of the time, but its just challenging enough to stay interesting.

I agree with everything Jakup said, plus these:
*Sound engine, sounds perfect, and is totaly problem free on my system... although I dont understand why i cant use surround sound... Im using Dolby Pro Logic encoding and most games that support surround sound give it to me.. Doom 3 doesnt
*The computer\terminal\PDA system is perfect... i love how everything looks and works just like it should
*Flashlight usage is great, having sight OR defense is what made the game so interesting most of the time

That said, as much as i really enjoy the game. It never reminded me of Doom. It plays a LOT like Elite Force 2 (same exact gameplay when dealing with the aliens in EF2). I think we need to start putting together a mod that uses the original Doom style of everything with the new engine. Real Imps, real Pink Demons, some of the old levels... original music. Using lower quality models\textures would probably allow a mod to have dozens of enemies on screen like the original Doom too.

BTW, the Hell Knights are cool, but god dammit, call them the "Baron of Hell"... its what they are!

aAv7
08-07-04, 08:43 PM
I give it a 3..rather play the original doom....seeing as the gameplay hasnt changed one darn bit. Just didnt feel this title.

Nv40
08-07-04, 09:31 PM
have not finished the game.. :) but overall the game for me its great ,a must have . but my expectations were very high ,and thats were my dissapoitment comes.. if it were not for the graphics ,and the animations.. and that its an Idsoftware game (mean great Mod community support) i will not playing it.

Pros..
. Graphics are excelent overall sometimes very very high and sometimes low. overall great.
. special effects ..dust ,many lighting effects awesome.
. character and enviroments animations (machines/elevators) stunning!!!! i cant wait to see what the mod community is going to so with Doom3 enviroment animations :D
. easy to navigate.. i really dislike game that you are stuck for days or weeks about how the hell to pass to the next level.
. good gameplay (when there is one) ,and non stop fragging.the game keep you always busy killing a monster.. :)
. good interactivity with the enviroments.. (nothing above today standars) but still good.
. Many many variety in monters ,diferent clases , very detailed demons (problem is that they overuse the imps too much in the game.)
. Flash light kick ass/ Shotgun very nice/machinegun nice/grenades are the way they mean to be played. :)
. LEvel design is surpringly is refreshing. i though the game was going to be repetitive re-using the same graphics ,same textures through all the game. but how wrong i was.. i feel that with every new level im exploring a totally new place . the more i play it ,the more originall and good looking places i see. :)

Cons...
. extremely dissapointing sounds.. the Sound music/design was dissapointing ,some weapons sounds are too weak. (pistol ,plasmagun,rocketlauncher)doesnt sound powerfull enough.. and the enviroments sounds dissapointed.. monster sound dissapointed really dont know how can anyone say anything great about DOom3 sounds/music. from 1-10.. i give it -10. because there are so many games outthere that are years ahead in the sound department.. RAinbowsix games/Medalof Honor and COD games/AMericanmagee alice /Giants citizen kabuto :D, heck so much hype for the Doom3 quality sounds and they are below last years standars in my opinion. QUake2 sounds were far better for me.
Sound/music used for the game seems pretty low for today standars ,Sounds quality is a diferent subject however.

. many ,many things that idsoftware were praising about DOom3 never made it in the game..

-where is the amazing breakable glass? all that i saw in doom3 in the glass departments is at the quality of the custon mods made for quake3 :rolleyes: very dispointing because i was very excited for that and it was all BS (http://www.forumplanet.com/planetdoom/topic.asp?fid=2308&tid=1443930 ) .
btw.the particle system is amazing.. dont know what they guy above smoke. :)
-where is the mocap animated characters ?
-where are the very high quality models they used for trailers ?

other Cons are..
-poor multiplayer capabilities out of the box
-too few weapons...
-repetitive monters.
- predictable game play
-whats the purpose of the fists ? they added useless stuff in the game and removed the usefull ones :rolleyes:
-where is the great interactivity of the physics engine? i was expecting wonders there of game play and barely the physics engine is used in the game. and left me a feeling of being still inmature .not not finished.

overall its amazing that a game with so many cons still is highly recommended to have. :D the game still is fun to play and you will enjoy it ..but the overhype was astronomical ,and many of the complains of people are because of features never delivered in the game. i give it an 8.5 from 10. if we take the past as measure of the sucess and longetivity of Idsoftware games ,then things will e much better from here. the saying that idsoftware should dedicate themselves to do only game engines is not entirely true.Doom3 is still fun to play ,however they need to learn a lot from other developers in the gameplay department. Interactivity with the enviroments is crucial to keep the gamers interested in playing the game. very few levels are great in the interactivity department (elevators/manipulation of machines) almost all others are deathmatch fragfest .

overall the game deserve to be in the list of 5 best 2004 games of the years. but until i see Hl2 and stalker in action ,there is no way to know. but the way it stand know overall i think Farcry deserve to be in the first place of game of the year ,since its offers far more gameplay and great graphics too.Doom3 should be a close runner up.

overall rating is 8.5 mostly because
the poor multiplayer that comes with the game out of the box..

is not scientific but here is in parts//

overal graphics .... 9
textures quality ....6
Lighting and special effects 9
creative level an innovation design ...10
Sound/music used to enhance the gameplay..... 4
gameplay .....8
enviroments interactivity 7
animations ....... 10
AI ....................... 7.5
multiplayer .......... 5
Mod community support ..9

single player games on top of my list in gameplay side alone are..
RUne ,Halflife1 , Giants and also AVP2 was very inmersive.. and more scary to me.. albeit graphics were not that good.

Intel17
08-07-04, 09:48 PM
Doom 3's engine is the most advanced out there. Art Direction is top notch. Atmosphere is exactly what it intended to do. Fun to play. Multiplayer a blast.

10, second coming of jebus :)

jAkUp
08-07-04, 10:05 PM
I agree with everything Jakup said, plus these:
*Sound engine, sounds perfect, and is totaly problem free on my system... although I dont understand why i cant use surround sound... Im using Dolby Pro Logic encoding and most games that support surround sound give it to me.. Doom 3 doesnt

Go to windows control panel, change your speaker setup to "surround sound speakers" I had the same problem with my 4.1's. Now that I set it, the positional audio is fantastic :)

CaptNKILL
08-08-04, 01:10 AM
Go to windows control panel, change your speaker setup to "surround sound speakers" I had the same problem with my 4.1's. Now that I set it, the positional audio is fantastic :)
Wow it works! But not too well for me... cant really hear much from the rear speakers for some reason. Even when i play with the NVmixer settings and turn the fronts all the way down and the rears all the way up, they are still extremely quiet. I need to get myself a set of Logitech Z680s. I just wish they werent so damned expensive.

Whats a good set of speakers that has a Dolby Digital 5.1 decoder? Preferebly through optical S\PDIF (like the 680s). I love my sound, if im getting speakers, im getting ones that decode Dolby 5.1, since my Soundstorm encodes it :D

jAkUp
08-08-04, 01:40 AM
Get the 680's they will rock your soxs off :D

Nv40
08-08-04, 03:22 AM
Wow!!!! gonna make some changes to my early preview :D
the more i play this game the more im impressed.. i really suggest anyone to finish the game before any opinions about the game and specially the graphics department.. :drooling: :drooling: :drooling:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=7412&stc=1

is not scientific but here is in parts//

overal graphics .... 9 (but sometimes can be as high as 10+ ) :D
textures quality ....6 (but can be as high a 10)
Lighting and special effects 9 (same above)
creative level an innovation design ...10 ( same as aboive 10+)
Sound/music used to enhance the gameplay..... 4 (there is an improvement here 7)
gameplay .....8 (here it remains good above the average in games)
enviroments interactivity 7 (can be an 8 at times ) :)
animations ....... 10
AI ....................... 7.5
multiplayer .......... 5 (this remains unchanged)
Mod community support ..9

all i can say.. wow.. :clap: averall rating is 8.9+ :D
still multiplayer needs to improve if it were not for it ,im really sure the lower score Doom3 will get is 9.5 in any review. :)

evilchris
08-08-04, 03:40 AM

I have mine at quadrophonic and I can't select the surround in D3. I guess I have 4.1 since there is a sub. Would surround work in that case? The pic in control panel when you select surround shows a center channel which I don't have.