PDA

View Full Version : Cool Before & After Bump/Specular Pics

Timothyb
08-07-04, 03:43 AM
Once you see how flat the walls are with regular textures, then go and turn on the bumpmaping and specular, you really see how well they give the appearence of extra geometry and depth.

http://premium.uploadit.org/TimothyB/doom_compare_2.jpg

http://premium.uploadit.org/TimothyB/doom_compare_3.jpg

http://premium.uploadit.org/TimothyB/doom_compare_1.jpg

kev13dd
08-07-04, 03:46 AM
Neat! Thanks! I was just trying to explain bump mapping to my friend, these pics are amazingly great examples to illustrate what I told him!

K

Zips
08-07-04, 04:33 AM
Heh... nice comparisons there. I never bothered to take a personal look see, and I'm glad now I didn't ;)

sweetmate
08-07-04, 07:59 AM
Turn off all the special effects and the game looks and feels like Quake 3.

killahsin
08-07-04, 08:02 AM
isn't that the point of engine scaling? I'm lost here?

Skrot
08-07-04, 08:43 AM
Turn off all the special effects and the game looks and feels like Quake 3.Yeah, I just turned off all the special effects in Doom3, and it went back to having lightmaps just like Quake3....

Know why Doom3 feels like Quake3? Because Quake3 has the user inputs down pat. No other games I have played by other companies has had mouse input and movement physics as good as id's games do.

Kamel
08-07-04, 08:48 AM
lol, i've been playing with this since the first day i got the game... and have taken many comparison screenshots myself (i'll post them if you like, but it's nothing special).

what i suggest you do is bind a key to toggle r_skipbump; like this:
bind f10 toggle r_skipbump

now, when you hit f10, it will disable them in-game in real-time. you can also hold down the key to watch them flash on and off... dumb stuff, but interesting when you're bored, lol.

intercede007
08-07-04, 12:52 PM
Uggg I need a new video card..... :(

Slyder
08-07-04, 01:16 PM
I had to take the graphics right down on a friends pc to run D3. Poor guy only have a 1gig Athlon, but the game runs flawlessly now. It can slow down a little during shootouts, but other then that its fine.

Serath
08-07-04, 02:20 PM
Someone take a shot of one of the monsters like that :p

Zetto
08-07-04, 02:24 PM
u can prolly pause and take screenshots, while toggling that setting :D

holmes
08-07-04, 05:19 PM
I knew the Doom3 engine uses heavy bumpmapping, but man... It's a completely different game without it..

Edge
08-07-04, 05:29 PM
Damn, even I didn't expect there to be THAT big of a difference. Certainly goes to show how a few surface effects can make even simple environments look spectacular, it goes from looking like Quake 3 to being nearly movie-quality (well, getting there, anyway). Just think of how much better games will look when things like displacement mapping become more widespread...maybe we can get 1000-polygon models to look like Final Fantasy: Spirits Within characters :D

Pandora's Box
08-07-04, 06:06 PM
i wonder what the fps difference is.

Intel17
08-07-04, 10:49 PM
I cant wait for True displacement mapping!!!

Pandora's Box
08-07-04, 11:42 PM
meh i dunno. im starting to like the pics without bump mapping. can i see a monster with and without it please?

Timothyb
08-08-04, 02:58 AM
I'll try getting some screens of a few monsters. But at the moment I'm watching Adult Swim, so later tonight.

Edge
08-08-04, 05:26 AM
Ahh yes, the draw of anime takes precidence over everything else. So how did you like tonight's episodes of Wolf's Rain :p

But I'm wondering what would be the best way to get a screenshot of the monsters with and without these effects...is there a console command that allows you to freeze the AI monsters? Otherwise I guess using noclip (which makes you invisible to monsters, so at least they'll only do their idle animation) would be the best way.

Timothyb
08-08-04, 06:39 AM
For now here's a picture of a dead body before and after:

http://premium.uploadit.org/TimothyB/doom_compare_4.jpg

kev13dd
08-08-04, 07:05 AM
meh i dunno. im starting to like the pics without bump mapping. can i see a monster with and without it please?

I agree with you on some parts, the first screen shot it's a tough call. I kinda like the flat looking effect. The second one, bump mapping definatly looks better, but I'd probably only get 20fps :retard: The 3rd both are equally looking

The flat effect does look kinda cool, like a graphically advanced Counter Strike...

K