PDA

View Full Version : Morrowind - this is bad!!!

Pages : [1] 2 3

Zzorrkk
08-07-04, 06:24 AM
Hi there,

I just got my CoolFX GF6800Ultra one week ago. So far it runs perfectly with the latest drivers (61.77).
I never had the time for Morrowind so far, although I really loved the graphics of the game. I needed all my spare-gaming-time for Gothic II back then... I had a Radeon 9700pro previously and was never very satisfied with the Morrowind performance. You had to nearly disable all shadows to get decent FPS. But now things are worse, because the game stutters when I turn my head as if there was no memory left. The performance actually got worse than before.

I read threads here, where people have this kind of problem, too. They mention other games like Rallysport Challenge or BF Vietnam and those two run great on my computer.

Has anybody found a Morrowind-specific cure yet? Even 1280x1024 (or 960) with software accelerated sound, no shadows and lower view distance is not really a fun experience, cause the stuttering seems to be unaffected. (help)

Hope this is not an annoying subject already...

Thanks,
Zzorrkk

Severian126
08-07-04, 01:42 PM
I have the exact same problem as you buddy. I've tried everything and nothing helps. It's either up to Bethesda to come up with a new patch (very unlikely) or wait for future Forceware drivers to fix it. For now, I chucked that game somewhere out of frustration, and now I can't seem to find it. Oh well, good riddance.

Zzorrkk
08-07-04, 02:19 PM
Damn man, yet the 6800Ultra has no other glitches so far, which is better than ATI before. Thanks and lets hope for the best...

Zzorrkk

Sazar
08-07-04, 02:20 PM
morrowind is a highly CPU intensive game... though performance shoulda picked up with your newer card over your older card...

i am able to play smoothly @ 16x12 res with a coupla features turned off... but then my cpu is a little better @ handling morrowind...

as a possible remedy use a driver-cleaner app to remove any residual ati drivers and see if this helps at all... other than that rest assured this game is EXTREMELY cpu intensive... :)

Clay
08-07-04, 02:21 PM
Rytr (a mod here) is a big Morrowind fan and has had not had problems with it on his 6800GT that I know of. I'll PM him to post here with any info he might have.

Rytr
08-07-04, 08:11 PM
Rytr (a mod here) is a big Morrowind fan and has had not had problems with it on his 6800GT that I know of. I'll PM him to post here with any info he might have.

During the gathering of info for the eVGA 6800GT review I got in about 4 hours of MW. Most was in Bloodmoon although I did frame rate performance testing in a Seyda Neen walk through that we have scripted using FRAPS. I spent a little time in Balmora as well as some caverns and crypts. Through all of this I was never able to duplicate the stuttering and I used all settings readily available with resolutions of 1024x768, 1280x960, and 1600x1200. No problems! That is not to say that there aren't any as I will make some further checks this week. I did get mouse lag at 16x12, 8XS AA / 16x AF and my cpu was a bottleneck at several settings as this game is cpu intensive.

Severian126
08-08-04, 02:11 AM
Hrm, I *think* I found out the problem. I did a re-installation of my WinDVD program, and it gave me an option to upgrade/update/whatever my sound driver. Though I have all the latest drivers for my soundcard (SB Audigy 2), this added some stuff in that seemed to fix several glitches in other games. Doom 3 runs smoother now, and that annoying disappearing sound/music glitch is gone. My games does not freeze up occastionally anymore, and BF Vietnam doesn't stutter the first few seconds.

Bad thing for me is, I can't seem to find Morrowind anywhere to test it, heh. But I hope this fixed it. Who woulda thought? After reformatting and all that good stuff, apparently I needed to install a crappy DVD software to fix it. Weird.

Zzorrkk
08-08-04, 05:24 AM
morrowind is a highly CPU intensive game... though performance shoulda picked up with your newer card over your older card...

i am able to play smoothly @ 16x12 res with a coupla features turned off... but then my cpu is a little better @ handling morrowind...

as a possible remedy use a driver-cleaner app to remove any residual ati drivers and see if this helps at all... other than that rest assured this game is EXTREMELY cpu intensive... :)

Hi there - I dont't think my CPU is responsible for the stuttering, because it started when I changed from Radeon 9700pro to 6800Ultra. So if the game depends on the cpu, the performance should be the same, right?
And I used driver cleaner before installing the 6800Ultra...

Anyway, thanks for all your postings. I think I'll do a reformat & very "lean install" (only what i really need!) anyway sometime this week, because the windows performance isn't as good as it was some months before, too. Maybe something messed up my registry... I bet the damn Haupauge WinTV crap is responsible. I always hated this software. WinTV has never stopped being buggy (especially the sound!) for me.

Greets,
Zzorrkk

Superfly
08-08-04, 05:48 AM
try these new Audigy 2 drivers - I reckon its sound card related.

http://uk.europe.creative.com/support/drivers/product.asp?bypass=1&category=2&os=10&driverlang=1&prod=370&drivertype=1

hope it helps.

Woodelf
08-08-04, 08:23 AM
Man, I wan't to go back to morrowind, only I lost my profile due to a hard drive failure at the end of tribunal. I should start over.

Severian126
08-08-04, 02:32 PM
EDIT: REMOVED reply

Woodelf
08-08-04, 02:49 PM
Forget morrowind, I just installed, then crash,crash,crash. I wish they would patch that game. :lame:

Superfly
08-08-04, 02:51 PM
EDIT: REMOVED reply

dont be shy

Severian126
08-08-04, 04:17 PM
dont be shy
Heh, I was going to put up a response to the person who lost his/her save file. I was going to offer my old save game, but then I realized I just erased my game and lost the back up disk somewhere in my room. (mag)

Zzorrkk
08-08-04, 04:25 PM
try these new Audigy 2 drivers - I reckon its sound card related.

http://uk.europe.creative.com/support/drivers/product.asp?bypass=1&category=2&os=10&driverlang=1&prod=370&drivertype=1

hope it helps.

Thanks for the tip - I already had these installed when I started the thread... Seems like I was not meant to play that game...

Zzorrkk

Rytr
08-08-04, 08:33 PM
Are the new SB's still creating conflicts? I thought the new cards/drivers alleviated the past problems. I almost went with their newest card this time. Instead I opted for the Fortissimo III due to the much better price. My other systems have Santa Cruz or Philips cards.

TheTaz
08-08-04, 10:04 PM
Morrowind runs flawless both on my daughter's sh!tty rig and on my rig.

Of course neither of us have Audiology 2's.

One suggestion is to grab a NO-CD hack. Stupid @ss safedisc majorly screws with Morrowind performance because it constantly checks the CD on outdoor area "background cell loading".

Daughter's rig:
P-III Celeron 1.3 GHz
384 MB PC100
Radeon 9600 Pro
Built-in AC97 Sound on Pure Intel Motherboard
Plays @ 800x600 with shadows on, no AA or AF.

My Rig:
Athlon 2600+
512MB PC2100
Radeon 9800 Pro
Built-in nForce 1 Sound
Playing @ 1024x768 with shadows on, 4xAA, 8xAF

That said... if it's the sound card causing the problem... it's not up to Bethesda to get their game working with a sound card that came out way after the game did. It's up to Creative Labs to get their sh!t together with their drivers. I've had NOTHING but problems with Creative drivers screwing up games since the Sound Blaster Live Series. Creative Labs SUCKS. I'll NEVER buy any of their products again. They were a good company in the DOS days... and have totally "lost it" since the Windows 98 era. And people say ATi drivers suck... LOL Creative Labs is way worse. /shrug

Taz

Severian126
08-08-04, 10:26 PM
I agree. The next card I get wont' be a Creative.

Zzorrkk
08-09-04, 03:37 AM
ok guys - what i'll do will be to install my system with (pretty bad) onboard sound. I'll let you know, if theres any performance gain in Morrowind...

Btw - I have no problems in any other games besides BF: Vietnam directly related to sound (stutters with EAX - very playable with miles2d). And I'm not shure if thats a creative problem, because other people don't have these problems and they are using creative products, too.

But anyway, I agree that creatives driver support does not seem to be too game orientated regarding the fact, that they do almost their whole marketing in the game sector, right???

See you later,
Zzorrkk

vampireuk
08-09-04, 03:42 AM
I have to say I have no problem running Morrowind on my 9700 pro, hmm I should install that and it's expansions again. I still have my save game and I control pretty much everything :D

Zzorrkk
08-09-04, 04:00 AM
I have to say I have no problem running Morrowind on my 9700 pro, hmm I should install that and it's expansions again. I still have my save game and I control pretty much everything :D

Hi,
maybe I didn't get what you where trying to say.... I didn't have problems with my Radeon9700pro either... What's the news? That you are a Demigod in Morrowind? ;)

Zzorrkk

Zzorrkk
08-09-04, 04:37 AM
ok guys - what i'll do will be to install my system with (pretty bad) onboard sound. I'll let you know, if theres any performance gain in Morrowind...

Update: Don't expect results before tomorrow night - I have to escape the heat, so I'll be out of town... (btw: yes, I'll still be working... Notebook in the garden...)

Zzorrkk

vampireuk
08-09-04, 09:04 AM
Hi,
maybe I didn't get what you where trying to say.... I didn't have problems with my Radeon9700pro either... What's the news? That you are a Demigod in Morrowind? ;)

Zzorrkk

Well you said you were less than satisfied with its performance, I've never had any performance issues playing it.

And yes I am a Demigod :D

TheTaz
08-09-04, 09:34 AM

Heh. Just remember I said "IF". I don't know for sure that the sound card is your problem.

Also... I'm not sure what version of the game you have. We have GOTY (Includes Tribunal and Bloodmoon expansions). Bloodmoon is the latest build of the game (v1.6.1820).

If you have the stand alone game and no expansions... You can get / install Bloodmoon without Tribunal pretty cheap (Like $15 at CompUSA) The Bloodmoon patch will not work with the stand alone game.

And again... get a no-cd hack (If you get Bloodmoon). Safedisc works fine for shooters and stuff that checks the CD when "levels load"... but Morrowind has background loading as you are running around outside... so the copy protection does mess with it's performance.

Hope that helps,

Taz

Zzorrkk
08-09-04, 10:06 AM
Well you said you were less than satisfied with its performance, I've never had any performance issues playing it.

And yes I am a Demigod :D
Ah - ok. Got it. And have fun ;)

Heh. Just remember I said "IF". I don't know for sure that the sound card is your problem.

I got bloodmoon and the latest patch running with a no-cd crack... Its the european (english) version, but I don't think that makes the difference...

Anyway, thanks for the warning, Taz. If my effords a fruitless, I won't be yelling at you ;)

Bye,
Zzorrkk