PDA

View Full Version : Install SP1 before SP2 a must?

d2thez
08-07-04, 07:26 AM
I have a retail copy of XP Professional that I slipstreamed SP1 with and made a new installation CD.

Now, with SP2 almost here, when I create my new slipstream installation disk, must I slipstream SP1 first and then integrate SP2, or do I integrate SP2 directly to the original retail version??

I was always under the assumption that each SP builds successively upon another and needs the previous version before installing the next one, but I have recently heard differently.

MUYA
08-07-04, 11:41 AM
No I don't think so.

Clay
08-07-04, 01:11 PM
I'm not 100% sure about XP SP2 but historically all Windows OS service packs have been cumulative. In other words, later service packs contain all previous service pack fixes/updates so you don't have any prerequisites for the installation of any service pack.

Son Goku
08-09-04, 03:21 AM
NT Service Packs have always been cumulative and there is no reason to assume anything has changed. Given the massive size of the thing (at least RC2 which I'm running now, almost 250 MB), as well as all prior experience, I seriously doubt it.

Mike89
08-10-04, 12:18 PM
SP2 contains everything in SP1. SP1 does not have to be installed to install SP2. Make your slipstream from scratch, using SP2 instead of SP1.