PDA

View Full Version : Carmack's next engine?

Intel17
08-07-04, 03:09 PM
What do you guys think JC will put in his next engine?

Clay
08-07-04, 03:19 PM
What do you guys think JC will put in his next engine?
His next game engine or his next rocket engine (http://armadilloaerospace.com)? ;)

jAkUp
08-07-04, 03:29 PM
Hopefully some displacement mapping mixed with real time lighting... it will be hard to beat the Unreal 3 engine though ;)

Intel17
08-07-04, 03:46 PM
Real Displacement mapping would be amazing. Now, if the next engine is unified lighting still and has soft shadows, displacement mapping etc... it would be amazing :)

-=DVS=-
08-07-04, 04:05 PM
Well he mention somewhere that his next woun't be OpenGl :eek: , so prolly safe to assume fully working HLSL PS 3.0 and all nice things.

Intel17
08-07-04, 04:13 PM
Dvs, Where??? Linkie Please??

theultimo
08-07-04, 04:49 PM
heh, i'm looking for Commander Keen updated engine with XVGA+ graphics...

monkeydust
08-07-04, 05:10 PM
Maybe by the time his next engine comes out I'll be able to get a decent framerate in Doom 3.

I really don't know. Where do you think graphics technology is heading in the next few years? We ever going to move away from images drawn with polygons?

killahsin
08-08-04, 02:02 AM
I forget where he stated it but he said he is already at work on his next engine. And it won't be for a sequel game. and it won't take 4 years hehe
I would imagine it will be around the same specs as the unreal 3.0 engine
I'd love to see some real time radiosity =)

Kamel
08-08-04, 02:27 AM
IMO it will blow away other engines, the d3 engine from what i understand was more or less an experiement (of course, not deviating from the point etc.).

i think the new engine will be fresh, not like the d3 engine (very remake-ish).

evilchris
08-08-04, 03:46 AM
IMO it will blow away other engines, the d3 engine from what i understand was more or less an experiement (of course, not deviating from the point etc.).

i think the new engine will be fresh, not like the d3 engine (very remake-ish).

The D3 engine was in development for 4 years and you don't think it is fresh and is just a remake? lol

evilchris
08-08-04, 03:47 AM
Well he mention somewhere that his next woun't be OpenGl :eek: , so prolly safe to assume fully working HLSL PS 3.0 and all nice things.

I hope he sticks with OpenGL. OpenGL games always have fewer bugs, run faster, and look just as good as DX games imo.

Son Goku
08-08-04, 03:53 AM
Yeah DVS, considering Carmack's previous statements on his take on D3D, and his past, shall I say preferance for OGL, a linkie might be warranted for this info. There was something, if I could just pull mention outa my memory (farenheit seems to come to mind), but it's late and it was a long time ago. Dun quote me on anything now :D

Considering Doom 3 just came out though, I wouldn't expect to see his next engine for awhile.

Skrot
08-08-04, 04:13 AM
Watched the video interviews of some of the id staff on doom3.com? They talk a little about how the technology changed and such.

Intel17
08-08-04, 10:38 AM
The D3 engine was in development for 4 years and you don't think it is fresh and is just a remake? lol

The Doom3 engine was for all intents and purposes finished in 2001/2002. The CG interface was added later, but other than that, the ENGINE has been done for a while.

evilchris
08-08-04, 01:55 PM
The Doom3 engine was for all intents and purposes finished in 2001/2002. The CG interface was added later, but other than that, the ENGINE has been done for a while.

Link?

GlowStick
08-08-04, 02:05 PM
Thats being misquoted. The engine was at a point where they could show what it is going to do and look like. Basicly the image has not gotten 'diffrent' at all from the alpha, however its just many many many many many many times faster.

So yes back in 2001/2002 they knew exactly what the game will look like.

evilchris
08-08-04, 02:18 PM
Thats being misquoted. The engine was at a point where they could show what it is going to do and look like. Basicly the image has not gotten 'diffrent' at all from the alpha, however its just many many many many many many times faster.

So yes back in 2001/2002 they knew exactly what the game will look like.

That doesn't mean the engine was done at all, knowing what the game would look like.

-=DVS=-
08-08-04, 02:20 PM
Don't have to take my word for it :rolleyes: just saying it... ultimately time will show.