PDA

View Full Version : What is contained in each .pk4 file?

Edge
08-07-04, 05:32 PM
Hi. Quick question: can someone check the .pk4 files to see what they each contain, and how their structure is set up? I've been wondering for a few reasons, most notably because I've been thinking about using that one method of extracting the files to your harddrive to speed up loading times, and I figured it might be a better idea to only extract the map and texture files, and leave things like the sounds (which would benefit the most from STAYING in the pak files) untouched. So if each pak file contains different types of files (i.e. if pak004.pk4 is entirely sound files, etc) it would make this a lot easier. And also because I've been slightly interested in making mods/maps for this game, I'm wondering if the pak files can be set up in a way where everything is contained in a new pak file (i.e. newmap.pk4) and it would be able to read everything from that file without even needing to check the other paks for the information (that way we could have fully contained mods that could basically just run off of the exe and system files, would cut down on confusion and conflicts with other mods).

Note that I don't actually have the game yet (played it over at a friend's house for a few hours, I'm waiting for him to finish it so he can give me the discs :D ), I just figured this would quicken up the process when I do actually get the game.

Saint Lucifer
08-07-04, 05:38 PM
From what I have read, extracting the Pak files does not help at all - in fact, it actually should make things slower.

http://www.shacknews.com/ja.zz?id=8303341 (Note that RADuffy is Robert Duffy from id Software)

Borealis
08-07-04, 05:52 PM
I have mine unpacked in the doom/base directory, it doesn't really help or degrade performance as far as I've noticed. I have heard though that when you have these files unpacked you cannot connect to multiplayer servers.

Suppose I should fix mine so I don't throw a fit when I can't connect to mp next time I want to eh?

Saint Lucifer
08-07-04, 05:54 PM
It prevents you from joining Pure Servers.

Pandora's Box
08-07-04, 06:07 PM
heh interesting. time to grab the pk files from the doom cd's again