PDA

View Full Version : Some new Half-Life 2 screens

Pages : [1] 2

CaptNKILL
08-07-04, 08:52 PM
Sorry if this has already been posted but there are a few new Half-Life 2 screens at Gamespot:
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/halflife2/screenindex.html

Not many, but they still look good... im impressed at how large some of those levels look. mmmm :drooling:

Mr. Hunt
08-07-04, 08:57 PM
Maybe the game will turn out alright if it EVER comes out.... and I don't see that happening :\.

Edge
08-07-04, 09:38 PM
Looks pretty nice, I hope it gets done soon. Can't wait to see how the physics system will play a part in the game, especially once some mods come out that takes advantage of it. Maybe someone will remake Trespasser with this engine...except with less bugs and more fun :D

GlowStick
08-07-04, 09:39 PM
:crosseye:

XP_GUN
08-08-04, 01:30 AM
Trespasser would be great mod.

I just hope that it comes out soon like around x-mas but I really dout it. (wack)

Carbon Unit
08-08-04, 01:48 AM
The graphics in those shots look no better than BF1942 or UT 2004 IMO

evilchris
08-08-04, 02:49 AM
Looks pretty nice, I hope it gets done soon. Can't wait to see how the physics system will play a part in the game, especially once some mods come out that takes advantage of it. Maybe someone will remake Trespasser with this engine...except with less bugs and more fun :D

I always thought Trespasser would look good with CryEngine. Seems perfect for it. CryEngine + Havoc would be the ultimate Trespasser. Isn't HL2 just using Havoc itself? If not I don't see how Source could touch Havoc.

evilchris
08-08-04, 02:50 AM
The graphics in those shots look no better than BF1942 or UT 2004 IMO

I agree, bland is the word that comes to mind while looking at those graphics. D3 and FarCry both smoke that. Has Valve been hyping the graphics?

faraday
08-08-04, 04:52 AM
"It's never been about the graphics..." - omg I'm quoting myself... :rolleyes:

Intel17
08-08-04, 09:40 AM
I agree, bland is the word that comes to mind while looking at those graphics. D3 and FarCry both smoke that. Has Valve been hyping the graphics?

So Do I. The technology is similar to that of UT2004's engine. FarCry is a generation ahead of HL2 and Doom3 is about 2 gens ahead of it.

aAv7
08-08-04, 10:02 AM
HL2's graphics look good enough for me. The physics are the strong point of this game, as is the story. I'll take an ok looking game for the sake of a great story and awesome physics.Seeing as they delayed the cs beta though, i'm guessing this game wont be out anytime soon.

Mr.Clawz950
08-08-04, 10:18 AM
Glad I'm not the only one who said "Meh" when I looked at those screenshots. I am seriously not impressed with the graphics and neither story nor physics warrant HL2 being a buy for me at this point. In some of the screens the world looks almost RPG-ish texture wise, very flat like they were painted on. Would rather save my money for something that looks interesting, like Brother in Arms, MOH Pacific Assault or The Sims 2.

picofarad
08-08-04, 10:32 AM
I'm not complaining because over all what I've seen of HL2 it looks REALLY high quality, the bright outdoor open areas look gorgeous, generally the art direction is appealing to me and I'm really looking forward to seing what it does to integrate story/narrative/coolevents into the game and what they do with the characters. And I also realise there are trade offs at work ( I didn't notice any bright, vast outdoor areas in Doom3 for e.g).

But I just have to say, technology wise after being immersed in Doom3s consistent/unified, dynamic lighting for 10+hours the darker, indoory shots of HL2 look pre-historic. Static lightmaps with superimposed 'dynamic' entities with their fake 'dynamic' shadow and lovely 'dynamic' lightmaps for their muzzle flashes....ick.

evilchris
08-08-04, 12:53 PM
HL2's graphics look good enough for me. The physics are the strong point of this game, as is the story. I'll take an ok looking game for the sake of a great story and awesome physics.Seeing as they delayed the cs beta though, i'm guessing this game wont be out anytime soon.

How do you know the story is great? How do you know the physics are awesome? All we have is hype.

Templar
08-08-04, 01:30 PM
those shots are OK but somehow HL2 has lost it's "magic". Too many delayes and BS.

Simon

Edge
08-08-04, 01:48 PM
How do you know the story is great? How do you know the physics are awesome? All we have is hype.

Alpha leak?

Templar
08-08-04, 02:22 PM
Bah.. Half Life Smell Life.. we've got Doom 3 now MHUAHHA :D

Nutty
08-08-04, 03:24 PM
I heard rumours the HDR was dropped due to performance reasons.
TBH theres very little reason for using HDR at the moment. Most of the things you do with HDR can be fudged to look similar, and you save the massive performance cost of rendering in floats. D3 didn't do any float rendering and looks stunning IMO.

Sazar
08-08-04, 03:39 PM
those shots look nice :)

woulda loved full-size/loss-less but still :D

far cry's out-door draw-distance appears to be superior to this though...

XP_GUN
08-08-04, 04:06 PM
lol see what happends when they delay it for a year we start to look at half life 2 and say whats so great, farcry looks better outside and such. Just shows you that when they said it would be released on the game September 30 and have all the videos and pictures being shown, then they told us at the last min that it would be delayed, then leaked, then delayed again and again, until a year later, then delayed again. Not saying this is not going to be a great game and will buy it but I gave up on Half Life 2 after all the delays and such for now until I hear it go gold :rolleyes:

evilchris
08-08-04, 04:14 PM
Yeah it would have looked great if it came out a year ago. Its graphics are sub par now.

holmes
08-08-04, 07:28 PM
Doesn't look all that impressive anymore that I've played Doom3 in all its glory. If there's a demo that sports awesome gameplay I'll buy, otherwise probably wait for something else..

evilchris
08-08-04, 07:30 PM
Doesn't look all that impressive anymore that I've played Doom3 in all its glory. If there's a demo that sports awesome gameplay I'll buy, otherwise probably wait for something else..

I wouldn't buy it now either. But I get it free anyway due to ATI coupon =)

Woodelf
08-08-04, 09:18 PM
It's starting to look dated to me. Valve better hope that it get's good reviews for gameplay.

g_man
08-08-04, 10:23 PM
Ha there are going to be so many free copies gave out because of all the delays more people bought the ATI cards with the coupon.