PDA

View Full Version : Thief 2 and GF6800U FW 61.77+DX9x Crashes

Templar
08-08-04, 05:33 AM
Hi guyz.

Every time I try to run Thief 2 I get the error after selecting a "new game" and the game itself is about to start (I do get into the menus).

I get the error "Your 3d accelorator failed to report back the amount of texture memory. Please contact your 3d vendor for driver update".

Any one have a workaround?

Edit. I tryed running the game in Win98se/ME compatability mode.. NO go.. I'm runnig XP Pro btw.

Simon

jAkUp
08-08-04, 11:07 AM
Thief 2 or thief 3?

The Boatman
08-08-04, 12:23 PM
"
Some video cards do not accurately report the amount of available on board texture memory, which can cause Thief 2 to become confused about the state of the video card. If this happens you will be able to hear the game running but will only see a black screen, or you will see part of the screen display black triangles. We have found this to occur on the following 3D chipsets:

Intel 810, nVidia RIVA 128

nVidia RIVA 128

Ati Rage, Rage PRO
You can fix this problem by opening up the "user.cfg" file with Notepad, and editing the file. User.cfg is found in the Thief 2 directory on your hard drive. Open the file, and remove the ";" from the beginning of the line that says:

safe_texture_manager

This command will become active when the ";" is removed and the file is saved. You should also update your graphic card drivers with the latest drivers available.
Note: using this command will cause a slight reduction in frame rate, so don’t use it unless it is necessary."

This is from: http://www.sold-out.co.uk/soldout/support/thief2.html (a UK site)

Templar
08-08-04, 01:13 PM
Thanks guyz.. I found that fix.. it did fix it. DAMN Thief 2 is old.. saw that when I ran it... think it's too old to enjoy after I played Thief 3?!. What you guyz think?

Simon

Goratkins
08-10-04, 09:08 AM
Thanks guyz.. I found that fix.. it did fix it. DAMN Thief 2 is old.. saw that when I ran it... think it's too old to enjoy after I played Thief 3?!. What you guyz think?

Simon

Thief 2 is never to old to enjoy, its the best one of the three, even though thief 3 is great.