PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide on a speaker system...

Pages : [1] 2

CaptNKILL
08-08-04, 07:40 AM
I have a very old (and very spliced\chop job) speakers system that i keep playing with to get better sound, and im not totaly satisfied with it. The speakers arent that clear, and the bass isnt deep at all. Plus, im forced to use Dolby Pro Logic analog encoding and if i ever get rid of my Nforce 2 with soundstorm, i wont have that any more.

What im looking for:
GREAT sound quality above all

And I need to know, is digital sound really worth it? Here are the two sets ive narrowed it down to:

Logitech Z5300 = $133 (280 Watts, THX certified, analog only connections)
Logitech Z680 = $249 (505 Watts, THX certified, digital\analog connections, Dolby 5.1 decoding)

Thats quite a big price difference. The 680 has almost twice the power, it has more features and digital (even optical) inputs and beautiful quality. But from what ive read, the 5300 has amazing sound quality as well for much cheaper, but is limited to analog mini-jack connections.

$250 is quite a bit of money for me, but seeing how I got my current system for free (to replace my old set of Labtec LCS-2514 4.1 speakers... which i still have) I guess I could make an excuse to spend this much on an amazing system like the Z680s.

Then again, $133 is sooo much cheaper. Is there really a $120 benefit to having more power, and having all of the nice input\output options that the 680s have? I would be able to encode Dolby 5.1 through the optical S\PDIF on my Soundstorm, and the 680s would decode it. Which sounds really great, but does it make $120 worth of difference?

Im really starting to think about going for a new system, help me decide :)

Rytr
08-08-04, 08:22 AM
I think the best advice would be to actually listen to both before deciding. The Z680's are really nice IMO but for you to decide you need to be able to listen for yourself, considering the price difference.

CaptNKILL
08-08-04, 08:27 AM
I wish I could, I dont know of anyone that has good speakers like these, and we dont have any high end computer stores around here.

Rytr
08-08-04, 09:00 AM
In that case take a look at this thread for some info/perspective that I tend to agree with: http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=336430
Easier than me just giving you some info and besides he provides pics!

CaptNKILL
08-08-04, 02:02 PM
In that case take a look at this thread for some info/perspective that I tend to agree with: http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=336430
Easier than me just giving you some info and besides he provides pics!
Thanks Rytr, Im reading it now :)

CaptNKILL
08-08-04, 08:10 PM
Well theres no info at that link about the Z680s, so it doesnt help a lot.

But one thing that I have read was that the Z680s lack of a tweeter really hampers its ability to give good highs. I wouldnt care much normally, but thats the one good thing about my current system, I stole the speakers off of a really nice Phillips Stereo that I had, and they have 4" drivers and tweeters, and they are the best sounding speakers on my system. Theres a CLEAR difference between my old center speaker with a crappy tweeter and these ones with good tweeters.

Can anyone comment on the high-range sounds from the Z5300 and Z680? At a forum I saw, a few people said that the Logitechs are great at bass but arent good for anything else compaired to Creative Gigaworks speakers that have tweeters (which cost about $50 more and dont have any fancy features).

As of right now im leaning toward the 680 despite the price difference, mostly because I like the features, and the extra power just makes me drool, even though id probably never use it in my little room :rolleyes:

Rytr
08-08-04, 08:24 PM
Kinda hard to see it but yes there was a link to another thread specifically on the Z680's.

jAkUp
08-08-04, 08:28 PM
680's 680's!!! My friend have them and they are sooo awesome :)

FierceDeityLink
08-08-04, 08:29 PM
I have the Klipsch Promedia 5.1, and they're probably the best for the home PC market. However, since you have a nForce, you could just get a receiver and some normal speakers.

Smokey
08-08-04, 09:34 PM
I myself went through this sort of thing just a few months back :)

From all the reading of reviews, forums etc, I ended up spending more that I had planned, but thought of it more of an investment. In the end I bought the GigaWorks S750 7.1s, main reason, they have mostly been said to sound better than the Klipsch, and even the bass is pretty close the Klipsch sub(s).

You have to decide if you are indeed going to use digital or analoge, the GigaWorks are analoge only, though Creative do sell a digital decoder which you can use with the speakers and your SoundStorm. Do you game alot? I dont care what anyone else says, EAX3/4 is great for games, RavenShield has the best sound in a game IMO.

If you want to go digital on the cheapish shide, the 680s should be fine, though you can get better sound for just a little more $$s

jAkUp
08-08-04, 11:22 PM
Yes, I cannot live without eax :) Give very accurate environmental sounds. I was actually glad when I heard its getting added to doom3 :)

Smokey
08-08-04, 11:59 PM
Yes, I cannot live without eax :) Give very accurate environmental sounds. I was actually glad when I heard its getting added to doom3 :)

I think alot of people were ;)

Dont forget, there was no EAX with the Q3 engine when it came out, and now games like Jedi Accademy w/EAX3/4, and CoD w/EAX3, btw the sound in CoD is considered some of, if not, the best 3D gaming sounding in a game :)

CaptNKILL
08-09-04, 12:43 AM
I have the Klipsch Promedia 5.1, and they're probably the best for the home PC market. However, since you have a nForce, you could just get a receiver and some normal speakers.
Do you think thats worth it? I figured that a good reciever and set of great speakers would cost me a lot more than any PC speaker system would.

My brother has a Sony DVD\Reciever combo and although it is LOUD, i cant say im particularly impressed by the quality.

Ok, so I guess Ill put it this way:

I want great sound quality, dolby 5.1 decoding, and optical S\PDIF inputs on a PC speakers system or a home theater system. I want to keep the price under $250. What are some good options?

BTW, i need to do a couple repairs on my car so I wont be jumping into this real quick. So im willing to do more research and get more input before I spend a bunch of money.

Kev1
08-09-04, 01:03 AM
I bought the Z-5300's from NewEgg about a week ago. They are in my opinion ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC! They require some tweaking, but combined with an Audigy 2 ZS I'm not upgrading sound for a long time :)

Doom3 is amazing. I honestly have to play with sub almost off or other family members get upset :rolleyes: Full volume would probably cause a richter scale reading at the local USGS monitoring station!

While I am not an audiophile, music, movies, and games sound better than I ever hoped. These speakers are THX certified, and so is my sound card. I am extremely pleased with my purchase :)

CaptNKILL
08-10-04, 01:22 AM
(bump)(bump)(bump)(bump)(bump)

Kain
08-10-04, 03:55 AM
Klipsch! The subwoofer is the tightest and the most musical of all the PC speakers out there. The tweeters also bring out great detail.

Lezmaka
08-10-04, 05:03 PM
As soon as save up enough money, I'm going to get the 680's. Right now, I have Altech Lansing ADA885 that I got with a system I got about 4 years ago. They're only 4.1's but have Dolby Digital and Prologic decoding. But I really need to get some new speakers, either the Dolby Digital decoder is almost dead or the digital connector is shot. Whenever I try to listen to DD output by my computer or a regular dvd player, it sounds totally/royally distorted and messed up.

Personally, I wouldn't think of getting a system without Dolby Digital and Prologic (the 680's have a DTS decoder too which is a plus), but that's mainly because I basically use them as my home theater system.

Also, another thing that I couldn't do without is a remote. The 680's come with a remote control, while 5300's basically have a kinda lame looking remote on a cord. I have a universal learning remote, and although I probably wouldn't use the actual remote that comes with the system, being able to use a remote control is a big plus for me.

The 680's speakers are also connected using standard speaker wire whereas it looks like the 5300's use RCA cables.

I assume you're looking at newegg (the prices match up) so don't forget about shipping. The 680's are a whopping $2 more for shipping!

CaptNKILL
08-25-04, 11:35 PM
Well, im still looking... i think im going to go for a set of speakers pretty soon.

Now, I need some help finding good prices :)

I really need some help here guys... ive looked everywhere. Ebay, pricegrabber, pricewatch...

I want to find the best possible price on the Z680s... including shipping of course. I found them dirt cheap on pricegrabber but that pricks were charging $80 shipping :|

I used to be good at scrounging up the best prices but i cant seem to do it anymore. New egg looks pretty good at $242 shipped (i think thats what it was). But thats quite a bit more than id like to spend on speakers. If I can get them for a bunch less id get them right now.

Id also consider the Z 5300s if someone could find them real close to $100 (or less) shipped.

As long as its a farely reliable source, ill try anything.

Thanks guys!

CaptNKILL
08-26-04, 12:12 AM
Ok, im looking around and I keep noticing people complaining about the horrible "boomy" bass... I like bass... i love bass. But i like it clear and loud. I listen to heavy metal, death metal, punk and thrashy music, I want to feel the double bass drums and the bass guitars, but is this going to be too much? Some people say that they actually have to turn the sub OFF to use these speakers in music and movies :|

I love playing with my Equalizer settings as well, so I guess I can tweak them if i need to. But can anyone comment on the "boomy" bass? Right now my 6" sub is getting about 25 watts (splitting my center with my sub... the whole center channel gets 50W on this old system :| ) so am I going to be blown away by the bass of this system? A 188W sub is quite a bit more than im used to on a PC speaker system. Even my old Labtec 4.1 system only had a 15W sub.

If this wasnt such a big investment I wouldnt ask so many questions... but this is going to be the only speaker system im going to buy for a long time hopefully. So I want to make sure its what I want.

Omega53
08-26-04, 12:26 AM
I have the Klipsch Promedia 5.1 Ultra's and when I turn it up about halfway the bass rattles the walls through the entire house :D

FastM
08-26-04, 01:35 AM
The 680's are a great set, go really loud to. Personnaly, i always found Altec-Lansing to have the best sound quality.

Smokey
08-26-04, 06:21 AM
If you have the cash, go either Gigaworks or Klipsch.

karkrash81
08-26-04, 07:15 AM
I own the logitech z-680's and have to say they are excellent speakers. I prefer the sound quality of Klipsch slightly more, but Klipsch has some quality control issues with their products. I've known 5 people with Klipsch speakers and all 5 have had the hardware fail at some point. And they're more expensive...

The z5300's sound phenomenal at their price point. I would have bought them if they were available at the time.

The bass on the z-680's is very powerful but I like bass and was able to adjust it just right. In terms of sheer power the z-680's will rattle the walls...I still haven't tried them at full volume yet. Movies sound great as well...and games are unbelievable...call of duty is like a whole different game with a nice set of 5.1's....

I also had a set of z-560's which is the THX 4.1 system but sold them because you need 5.1's or above to get the most out of game sound...

For the price, the z-680's are an unbeatable deal... and then again, so are the z 5300's. Both systems rock...best buy usually has a set of the z5300's to play with (but their price is ridiculous)

Maximum PC magazine still has the z680 listed as the ultimate computer speaker set...i haven't yet read a review that hasn't been glowing towards the z680's...

Also, whatever you do, make sure you break-in the speakers before really cranking them...i would recommend an 8 hour mix of tunes with a variety of styles (Rap, rock, classical) and play them at a low to medium volume for about 8 hours...I got my mom the logitech z2200's which are the THX 2.1 system and i told her to break them in and she's had no problem and can now play her clay aiken ( :barf: ) real real real loud...

Lezmaka
08-28-04, 02:12 PM
Well, im still looking... i think im going to go for a set of speakers pretty soon.

Now, I need some help finding good prices :)

I really need some help here guys... ive looked everywhere. Ebay, pricegrabber, pricewatch...

I want to find the best possible price on the Z680s... including shipping of course. I found them dirt cheap on pricegrabber but that pricks were charging $80 shipping :|

I used to be good at scrounging up the best prices but i cant seem to do it anymore. New egg looks pretty good at $242 shipped (i think thats what it was). But thats quite a bit more than id like to spend on speakers. If I can get them for a bunch less id get them right now.

Id also consider the Z 5300s if someone could find them real close to $100 (or less) shipped.

As long as its a farely reliable source, ill try anything.

Thanks guys!

I haven't looked everywhere, but the cheapest I've found including shipping is just under $229 at ebuyer.com (http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=50272). I've never bought anything from them before, so I don't know how reliable/trustworthy they are, but the site seems well done at least and has a good score at resellerratings. As of right now, base price is $211.95 and shipping (ground) is only $16.84 for most places.

dnoyeB
12-13-04, 09:29 AM
I am debating this same issue right now. The 5300s or the 5500s. After hiting these forums it appears that analog output is going to suck on my nforce mb, so if I go with the 5300 wihch are $130 cheaper, I'm going to have to find an external dolby digital decoder. Else I go straight with the 5500.

Anyone know of a ~$100 digital decoder? If I can find a good one, perhaps I can keep my existing "4.1" speaker setup. Or at least I can upgrade at a slower pace.