PDA

View Full Version : Ghosting and RAIDing simultaneously?

FierceDeityLink
08-08-04, 11:35 AM
After seeing a 250GB, 7200RPM hard drive with an 8MB buffer at CompUSA (assuming IDE) for $130 out the door, I was wondering if there's any way to Ghost a hard drive to a RAID0 pair of hard drives. I'm thinking about slaving my current 120GB to my secondary chain (I only have one DVD-ROM) and then setting up a hardware RAID0 for the 2x 250GB. I need to Ghost what's on the 120GB to the 2x 250GB.

Anyone know if this is possible? I'd rather not back up all of my data. :drooling:

stncttr908
08-08-04, 11:44 AM
After seeing a 250GB, 7200RPM hard drive with an 8MB buffer at CompUSA (assuming IDE) for $130 out the door, I was wondering if there's any way to Ghost a hard drive to a RAID0 pair of hard drives. I'm thinking about slaving my current 120GB to my secondary chain (I only have one DVD-ROM) and then setting up a hardware RAID0 for the 2x 250GB. I need to Ghost what's on the 120GB to the 2x 250GB.

Anyone know if this is possible? I'd rather not back up all of my data. :drooling:
I don't see why not. If the RAID is setup correctly I don't think it makes much difference. It'll split up the data just like any other file. Just run a defrag afterwards.

FierceDeityLink
08-09-04, 08:19 PM
http://www.fashnek.com/robby/harddrive.jpg
Yay it worked. Actually, I didn't know that my motherboard had two RAID controllers, as well as two regular IDE chains.

fastguy94416
08-10-04, 11:36 AM
:afraid:

Wow, that is a lot of hard drive space

majortom
08-10-04, 12:51 PM
how stable is raid 0? or raid 1, or raid 0+1? and how great is the performance increase?

FierceDeityLink
08-10-04, 03:42 PM
how stable is raid 0? or raid 1, or raid 0+1? and how great is the performance increase?
Depends on the hard drive (it's Maxtor, so I expect it to fail and lose all of my data). RAID1 is fine if you like spending twice as much for one usable drive. However, for the solution it provides, it may be priceless. I don't understand 0+1, doesn't it require three drives?

nickmirro
08-24-04, 01:33 PM
:) I ghost and raid and it works quite easily. Raid 0 provides a significant performance boost to the drives, which is most often the bottleneck. The only drawback is that there is a higher likelihood of failure - 2x, but this is still quite miniscule. Almost all commercial webservers contain at least 3 drives in a raid array. For the home user, one approach to increasing safety is just what you mentioned. Copying the partition to an image every few weeks. I just keep a 3rd drive on one of the IDEs and use Ghost to copy it. Drive Image version 5 doesn't work that well. Even without drive or raid controller failure, this is an excellent backup that has saved the day on several occasions.

r2d2d3d4d5
08-24-04, 01:44 PM
Depends on the hard drive (it's Maxtor, so I expect it to fail and lose all of my data). RAID1 is fine if you like spending twice as much for one usable drive. However, for the solution it provides, it may be priceless. I don't understand 0+1, doesn't it require three drives?
Raid 0+1 mirrors both Raid 0 drives so you need a minimum of four drives.

Raid 5 uses parity and only needs 3 drives (of course more can be used).