PDA

View Full Version : 6800u 20 degree jump

Sgt_Pitt
08-09-04, 01:46 AM
ok when i sit in windows and do nothing the cards temp is around 45 when i load up neverwinter nights in a window and just sit at the main menu the temp of the card jumps up by 20 degrees to 65, just wondering if anyone else gets this ?

i know nwn is an open gl game.

anyway it makes no difference wether thecard is o/c'd or not it still jumps 20 degrees.

is this normal ?

i even cut a hole in the front of my pc so the fan can exhaust the hot air coming from the vid card, but its still the same temp rise.

ntd
08-09-04, 02:40 AM
yeah, its normal.

and it was pointless to cut the hole because the fan doesnt exhaust hot air, it sucks air in and pushes it through the heatsink and it comes out the back of the video card

nutball
08-09-04, 06:13 AM
65C is nothing, these cards can take temperatures in excess of 100C without any ill effects.

SpiderWoW
08-09-04, 08:07 AM
57 on idle (2d/windows)
78 when playing farcry

Templar
08-09-04, 08:14 AM
that 20c jump is normal.

Simon

Sgt_Pitt
08-09-04, 11:51 AM
yeah, its normal.

and it was pointless to cut the hole because the fan doesnt exhaust hot air, it sucks air in and pushes it through the heatsink and it comes out the back of the video card

no you misunderstand me, the 6800 exhausts hot air towards the front of the case where the new hole is with the fan on the front sucking air out of the case, in anycase ive change the front fan to suck air in, as it was in the first place but there was no hole there, strange case ive got.

Anyway i have the side off my case, cause when i have it on, the cpu and 6800 cause a lot of heat, and once the cpu (p4 prescott) fires up it sounds bloody riduclous, i cant stand the sound its driving me insane, why o why did i buy a prescott ? the fan on the thing is truly aweful.