PDA

View Full Version : XP SP2 Final mirrored @ guru3d

rewt
08-09-04, 05:58 AM
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=846

Enjoy!

*Note that you cannot install this over top of SP2 RC2. You must remove the beta service pack first, or reinstall from scratch.

We don't want anyone installing a corrupt service pack. After its finished downloading, I recommend you check the md5 signature with md5.zip (http://www.fourmilab.ch/md5/md5.zip) before you install. Go to console and type md5 windowsxp-kb835935-sp2-enu.exe and the number should match the one on the guru3d page.

The MD5 you should get for the exe is : 59a98f181fe383907e520a391d75b5a7

GlowStick
08-09-04, 12:39 PM
Here is a nother mirror, Fileshack :D

http://www.fileshack.com/file.x?fid=5223

saturnotaku
08-09-04, 01:31 PM
I installed mine over SP2 Build 2149 and haven't encountered any problems. The only additional step I needed to take was to install a hacked uxtheme.dll for the final build.

Son Goku
08-09-04, 04:11 PM
Umm, what do you mean? Did you have to install a hacked uxtheme.dll because of installing it on top of RC2, or? I don't want to clean install my computer... Me to lazy, and I do have RC2

Sazar
08-09-04, 04:42 PM
installed and running... and enjoying :)

different site than above...

btw neowin appears to have a few dl links...

saturnotaku
08-09-04, 04:51 PM
Umm, what do you mean? Did you have to install a hacked uxtheme.dll because of installing it on top of RC2, or? I don't want to clean install my computer... Me to lazy, and I do have RC2

The hacked uxtheme.dll is required for installing StyleXP-based themes. The file version changes with every Windows XP service pack release so you have to install a hacked version that's compatible with the particular build you're running. Once you install the service pack, you have to boot into safe mode and overwrite every existing uxtheme.dll file in your Windows directory with the hacked one. Reboot normally and you can use whatever StyleXP theme you want.

Son Goku
08-09-04, 05:31 PM
Oh, OK...thx Wanted to make sure I'd be good to go, before updating final over RC2 :D

rewt
08-09-04, 09:23 PM
I updated over RC2 just fine :)

Odd. How did you do it? When I tried running the service pack over RC2, a big alert box came up saying you must uninstall the previous service pack first (which I couldn't do, as my RC2 was slipstreamed). Now I am running the slipstreamed SP2 Final and works even better than RC2 did.

saturnotaku
08-09-04, 10:36 PM
(which I couldn't do, as my RC2 was slipstreamed)

That's probably part of your problem right there. I have never once been able to do a slipstream without there being some sort of error either in the initial install process or trying to update Windows. So I just install my original copy of XP and then the first thing I do upon entering the GUI is install service packs.

rewt
08-09-04, 10:59 PM
Yeah, your probably right there. Microsoft said there may be some incompatibilities when installing SP2 on a fully updated computer. And they were right. I had to take my original SP1 disk and slipstreamed SP2 into it, reburned with BuildCD & Nero 6 Ultra, and reinstalled. Same thing I've always done with all the service packs, as it saves me from having to install any updates after installation.

AthlonXP1800
08-09-04, 11:28 PM
I downloaded WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe file, it was the same one as xpsp2_RTM_ENU.exe I downloaded on Friday 6 August, I am not suprised Microsoft not too bothered to removed RTM tag and didnt updated the new boot screen label "Windows XP Service Pack 2 With Advanced Security Technologies" and "Copyright 1985-2004 Microsoft Corporation". :rolleyes:

majortom
08-11-04, 05:41 AM
man, sp2 is a big piece of crap. its slowed my computer down a lot. does anyone know how to get rid of that stupid little monitoring security program?

Riptide
08-11-04, 11:29 AM
Just disable the security center service. I haven't got any errors in event viewer from doing that. Nor did my computer slow down. A friend of mine said it did seem to effect his 3dmark scores negatively (upgrading from sp1 - sp2). YMMV perhaps.

netviper13
08-11-04, 11:33 AM
Anyone using modified system files (like Stefanka's or the Flyakite files) having issues with them? I don't want to lose my styling for an upgrade that isn't yet necessary.